Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My WJ Project Build Thread

6K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  RootJ 
#1 ·
So this is were it all started for me.
My thread from when i first bought it.

So to make that thread short i bought the WJ for a steal deal of $3,500.
I quickly got a K&N 57 series FIPK kit for it, to go with that i also got a Borla cat back exhaust. After about four and a half or so months i decided i couldn't hear it enough so i removed the catylitic converter that was in front of the muffler(it might have just been a resonator, im not sure tho but it was honeycomb inside so i assumed it was a cat. But since it had no sensors around it i wasn't worried). As far as suspension goes i put a two inch budget boost on it to make it look a bit better. The previous owner had put on 245/75/16's on it, which is two sizes over stock so they rubbed a bit in reverse if you turned. But the BB took care of that. so all in all i ended up with the Jeepers itch once more when i seen this GC going down HWY-60 in Brandon.

So I decided to start researching and ended up wanting to get a Rough Country 4inch X-series lift. Which thanks to Jeffrey (RCEXTREME) i got a smoking deal and i purchased it today, so i should have it by Thursday next week. I decided to go with this kit after Scott (SDT03GCOverland) kindly came to my work and let me check out his rough country 4inch lift. He had the standard lift, which looked great. But i plan on doing 6inches with mine so i thought it best to get the adjustable lowers for the front and the few extra little things that come with the X-series kit.

As far as tires go i got these from the local 4wheel parts for a awesome deal of $250 for 5 rims and tires. they are 255/75/17's, BFG TA km's(the good ones not the km2's). The two fronts tires were chopped to hell since they prolly weren't rotated often, the rear tires seemed like they hadn't been replaced to long before they were removed because they are almost brand new, and the spare had never touched the ground. so i bought one new tire for $203, so i only had $450 invested in a nice set of rims and tires now.

So the saga continues i thought when i did a XJ with my Dad that i would be ok after getting rid of my Toyota Pickup i used to wheel, But it wasn't i cant stand being in such a stock feeling vehicle. so imma jack-er-up:duhrock::welder::duhrock:

Well if anyone has any helpful tips for me for doing the lift i would appreciate it thanks...let me know your thoughts....

See less See more
#2 ·
i just put on a rc 4 inch lift ( the standard one) i also bought an adj trac bad the only problem i had was the end the conects to the axle the metel sleeve that goes in the bushing the i.d. og the sleeve was to small and i had to drill it out to fit right. also iron rockoffroad is working on a 8 inch long arm kit for the wj if you want to go that tall. i also just had some costom sliders built by a local shop i can email you some pictures of them if you would like. i had him build them to stick out a little past the doors. that way if you have to use them to pivot around a rock or tree you dont take out a door skin.

#6 ·
Well I go the kit this morning. Mr.UPS almost ran me over while I was pulling out the driveway. Sadly the kit won't make it on till next weekend. As for this weekend I am going to the fair on Saturday and Sunday is valentines day. So I will get it on next week some time I hope. MGDWJ thanks I'll be looking forward to them. What's wrong with your jeep? Hope it works out for you.

#7 ·
well sunday night i discovered the starter went out. i had a friend of mine take it to his guy in Odessa Tx while i was at work in Mentone tx. hoping that it would be done by monday morning. well here its is wendsday and they are finally working on it i called them earlier and they told me that they had to order the starter. i went to auto zone and bought one my self for them to put on. I am really glad my brother still lives in odessa. if he didnt i would have to be paying for a hotel. it should be done any minute now

#10 ·
Well I instaled the kit yesterday. A few issues but nothing devasting, just took a bit longer than exspected. I couldn't hook up the rear sway bar due to my exhaust. When I removed the rear catylitic converter I needing about 20inches of pipe to compensate. But I could only get 17inches so I need to fix that so the exhaust can be slid back outta the way. I ended up leavin the stock isolators out and just running the bb spacers so it sits right at about 5.5 inches of lift or so. Looks real good except I need the lower adjustable control arms for the rear so I can put the stock isolotor back on to level it out. Ill take some pics and post latter. Sorry no build pics. Everyone has seen that a bunch of times any ways. But I'll get dome final product pics out soon.

#12 ·
here are the stages from what its been since i had it just for a comparison

that is stock with 245/75/16's

that's a BB with 245/75/16's

that's a 4inch x-series rough country kit with a no isolators, i left the budget boost spacer imstead so its at about 5.5inches in my guess. i need to get lower adjustable control arms for the rear and find a way to level it out or make the rear sit a bit higher

#13 ·
do you have a sound clip of your exhuast? Curious to see how the borla sounds on a 4.0

#14 ·
No but I can try to get one I got the borla catback and I also removed the rear cat. I don't know your emissions. It sounds very deep and throaty. I'll try to get one tho.

#16 ·
Thanks if you could that would be awesome.. Kinda don't like the sound of the FM Super 44 that I have..

I would appreaciate if you got a sound clip

and forget emission laws here. My 2002 Trans Am has a 3" exhast fromt he Long Tubes back to the cat back w/o cats :drool::cool::D

#24 ·
Yea I had the rough country 4in Xseries kit with a budget boost. So it was pretty close to 6inches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.