My third Jeep, '04 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My third Jeep, '04 Overland

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
poj2001
2004 WJ 

My third Jeep, '04 Overland

I just picked up a 2004 WJ Overland, Onyx Green with only 56,000 miles on it!. This is my third Jeep ('95 ZJ and '01 WJ) and the first one that I will lift.

I already ordered a 2" BB and Bilstein 5100 shocks (thanks Kolak). I have been looking around for the right tire to get, I will probably go with a 245/70R17. From what I read that is the largest size that will fit into the spare tire well. As far as brands go, I have Cooper A/T3 on my '01 and might just get those again, but I'm looking around still. Any tire suggestions? I live in central NY and we get a ton of snow so the tires should be good on ice and snow.

The body needs some touch up work and there is a little rust on the the rear driver side fender near the door that I want to try and eliminate. I also need to find some new plastic panels that are clipped onto the bottom of the doors, two of them are cracked.

poj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find. I bought mine last year with 65k miles on it, perfectly mint.

Make sure to do a good fluid change. I've swapped every single fluid on the jeep and feel much better about the reliability. That also stopped the groaning in the rear axle.
Unread 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
redneck_ram
2003 WJ 

grabber at2's are a great tire, as well as the duratracs. have had both, feel as though the duratac was better in the snow than my current grabbers are.

both at2s and duratracs are stud-able. granted these tires are on my ram 1500 that i use for plowing, but still.
Unread 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
braddf
2001 WJ 

that is a nice looking jeep! It's so clean and the colors are great and with that few miles? I am a very jealous person
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Make sure to do a good fluid change.
Good idea, the oil is new but I will definitely look into swapping everything else (except maybe washer fluid!)
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
grabber at2's are a great tire, as well as the duratracs. have had both, feel as though the duratac was better in the snow than my current grabbers are.

both at2s and duratracs are stud-able. granted these tires are on my ram 1500 that i use for plowing, but still.
I'll check those out, I was not really happy with the Cooper A/T3 but that maybe have been also due to the Quadra-Trac II in the 01 Limited. I hear the Quadra-Drive is a lot better.
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
that is a nice looking jeep! It's so clean and the colors are great and with that few miles? I am a very jealous person
I lucked out getting this one. I test drove it last Monday and put a deposit down to hold it for a week while I was out of town. They said by Friday they had gotten hundreds of calls from all over the country asking about it.
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Nice! I recently got an 04 Overland in Onyx Green with 60K as well! Great Jeeps... that colour is awesome- looks different depending on the light!
Frambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

4.7 HO?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
redneck_ram
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
4.7 HO?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
thats the only motor the overland came with...
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
that colour is awesome- looks different depending on the light
Cool! I haven't noticed that yet, it's still a little dirty, needs a good wash.
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
4.7 HO
Yeah, it is the HO, I think I read that if the original buyer wanted something different it was an option, but I doubt anyone didn't choose the HO.

So far the only real I difference I've noticed is the sound. Seems to have the same power as my '01 4.7V8, but I haven't towed with the HO yet. Maybe. That's where I'll notice it. 0 to 60 seems about the same.
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poj2001
Seems to have the same power as my '01 4.7V8, but I haven't towed with the HO yet. Maybe. That's where I'll notice it. 0 to 60 seems about the same.
Put some 93 octane in. You should notice the difference.
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #14
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
93 octane
Next time I fill up I'll get the good stuff and report back.
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #15
poj2001
2004 WJ 

So last night I did my first mod to the Overland. I was reading through theksmith's build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...4-7-ho-526660/

and decided to copy a few of his ideas. The first was modifying the dual climate zone module to adjust both driver and passenger side temperature simultaneously. Well I was at it I swapped the face of the module with the one from my '01 WJ because the face plate of the '04 was stained. I guess the modules are not interchangeable, and the circuit boards definitely look different.

Stained '04 module:

'04 on the left, '01 on the right:

I soldered the driver side wire to the front:

Then realized there was WAY more room to solder the wire to the back at the dial terminals (passenger side):

It took a little testing to get the module to work how I wanted it to, but basically when the switch closes, the reds get connected and the blacks get connected:

I could have done a better job drilling the hole, first I drilled a hole then tried to make it square with a Dremel. You can't even notice when its installed:

Here is a video of it working while testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkgeZ_Bg98

I set it so when the switch is to the left the driver and passenger side are synced and when its to the right they are independent.

I will post more pictures of it installed tonight, I think when I was putting the module back together some wires were shorting out because when the switch was closed it was doing some funky things.

Thanks theksmith, great idea!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.