My slow build thread. '94 ZJ 4.0 "George" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My slow build thread. '94 ZJ 4.0 "George"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So, the other day I picked up the steel to make myself another roof rack light bar like the one I have.
Then I'll have 4 facing forward on a switch and 4 facing the rear, run by a pair of relays activated by the reverse lights.
Then, yesterday I picked up a still new set of Bushwacker cut out flares for $200.
Today I got privacy glass for both sides at the JY for $30.
Tomorrow I'm going back to get a hatch w/lift glass and 2 mint cond. fenders(didn't ask price... Don't really care LOL).
Lucky for me, they're all the same Hunter Green Metallic as George is!!

Also picking up a power moon roof, complete with the roof sheet metal for $30.
I'll either weld a second moon roof in George, or I can weld it into the next ZJ I'll own if it didn't get a moon roof when it was "born".

Sorry bout the crappy cell phone pic of the glass. But then again, the flare pic was taken with said phone.....

image-6-.jpg   image-9-.jpg  
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I went back to the JY again today and picked up a pair of fenders that actually still have metal left on the bottom 6" of them.
They're a little rusty, but I can handle that!
I also picked up a hatch with lift-glass for swapping out with the original w/fixed glass.
It has a little rust, but nothing too bad(my original hatch has NO rust).
Luckily for me, there won't be any repainting! They're all hunter green too!!!!
Just need to add the pinstripes on the hatch for it to be perfect.

Let's see.....
Rust repair
Proportioning valve
Fender swap x2
hatch swap
privacy glass swap
Bushwacker flares
Build 2nd roof rack light bar
Build front winch bumper...

Looks like I'm gonna be a busy mo-fo for the next few days...
image-19-.jpg   image-18-.jpg  
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Yesterday I made a 2nd roof rack light bar. It came out pretty good!

Today I went and picked up two 7' lengths of 4"x3"x1/8" steel tube and 2' of 3"x1/8" flat stock.
Took some measurements, cut the steel tubes to the right length and cut 4 end caps to weld on the tubes.
Got those all welded up and sanded smooth with a flap wheel!
The most time consuming part was cutting all the steel with a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel... LOL

Tomorrow I hope to tackle cutting out all the rusted metal in the rocker area on the passenger's side and get the tube welded into place.
image-21-.jpg   image-23-.jpg  
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So, yesterday I cut out all the major rust on the passenger's inner & outer rockers.
Sanded the light stuff off with a flap wheel, and welded in my rocker tube I built for it.
It came out pretty good for a rookie!!
Our forecast was for clear skies the next few days and it was dark by the time I finished welding.
Being dark and having a clear forecast, I passed on putting primer on the steel because I'd be finishing that side tonight.
Well, guess what..... It friggin' rained last night, then it was dry all day while I was at work, and it started raining again on my way home.....

So it looks like I'll be hitting the whole damn thing with the flap wheel again before I can do anything else.
Too bad there are places that I can't sand again because the tube is now in the way....
image-29-.jpg   image-30-.jpg   image-31-.jpg   image-32-.jpg   image-33-.jpg  

image-34-.jpg   image-38-.jpg   image-39-.jpg   image-40-.jpg  
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So, today I finished the passenger's side rocker replacement. It came out better than I had anticipated, being a rookie , and all....

Now I'm going out to pre-fab all the parts for the driver's side, so that side will go quicker than 16 hours total...

The forum won't let me upload pics right now.... GRRRRR
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So, let's try the pics again today... LOL
Yep, more crappy cell phone pics... I need a camera, since mine crapped out....
image-51-.jpg   image-52-.jpg   image-53-.jpg   image-54-.jpg   image-55-.jpg  

image-56-.jpg  
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So George's rear gears are getting ready for a catastrophic failure.
Went to the JY hoping to find an Exploder axle... Not one single Exploder there...
8 ZJs to choose from, though. So I grabbed a drum brake d35 w/3.55s from a '93.
I grabbed a d30lp, a 231, a Hidden Hitch, and a pristine alloy wheel for my ZJ while I was there.
I got the whole lot for $100!!!

The d35 had a broken weld and serious rust on the track bar mount, so I cut it off and I'm engineering-as-I-go on a new bracket with a 3" higher mount point for the track bar.
I'm about half way done, I need to finish cutting the major pieces, tack them in place, and cut the reinforcing pieces, then weld it all up.
Pics later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.