my custom little "bumper" *Pics* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > my custom little "bumper" *Pics*

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Closed Thread
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
palmer6994

my custom little "bumper" *Pics*

from the get go i had wanted some sort of metal/off-road durable bumper for my wj, the original plastic fascia had cracked during a little fun in the snow. i recently had to replace my radiator and fan, in doing so took the bumper off. i kind of liked the look of it and liked it mores after cleaning it up and painting it. but i was still looking for something beefier, more durable. i came a cross a 4' 6'' I -beam and it got me curious...this is what i came up with, not sure what exactly else is being added but it is still a work in progress. let me know what you guys think

img_2976.jpg

img_2979.jpg

img_3081.jpg

img_3082.jpg

img_3088.jpg

img_3089.jpg

Unread 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Is that an I-beam or a snow plow? Where is the bumper?
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Theres a pedestrian killer if ever there was one. You would get about ten feet before being arested if that was on a car in the UK!
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
wsar10
2003 WJ 

would probably not pass inspection in PA.....

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
Unread 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
multmigs
2003 WJ 

As stated above, if you have any type of State vehicle inspection to go through, that will not pass, as welll it shouldn't, as you basically have a double knife edge on the front of your WJ which will chop up just about anything you hit with it (unless its a front offset side impact which is more likely and part of the new standard NHTSA testing done for new cars now, which you have now got ZERO protection for other than plastic wheel liner) instead of deform as the factory stuff is designed to do.So not only will you destroy the car in front of you and any pedestrians or wild life you will also take much more impact energy into the cabin of your own car for you and your passengers to have to deal with then. Not really a great plan there unless none of the above matters to you in which case KCCO sir....
I do want to see a pic of deer hit with this though i have to admit...
Unread 08-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Speechless.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
Unread 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
palmer6994

as stated, its not finished, i plan on fabricating some sort of end pieces on to it but as said all opinions welcome
Unread 08-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
derekmac

2002 WJ 

I understand it's not finished, but please do not drive around with that mounted. You will cripple a person if you hit them with that, or damage a car BER (beyond economical repair). I love people making their own stuff, and applaud you for doing so, but please make it safe before you drive with it.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
losttech

2000 WJ 

Just weld some teeth in there and your WJ can eat people
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Domaso
2004 WJ 

Just... wow.. Not many people will probably be familiar with this but I remembered an old video game "Carmageddon"
Not sure how things work in US, but here in EU if a cop would see this, you can kiss your technical inspection goodbye instantly and you are given 24 hours to fix it and re-pass inspection (at least it's how it works here).
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
corpulent
2004 WJ 

Because hitting someone with a winch, receiver, tow bar, stinger, etc would be much less damaging. . .

45 the ends.
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
losttech

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domaso View Post
Just... wow.. Not many people will probably be familiar with this but I remembered an old video game "Carmageddon"
Not sure how things work in US, but here in EU if a cop would see this, you can kiss your technical inspection goodbye instantly and you are given 24 hours to fix it and re-pass inspection (at least it's how it works here).
that was the first thing that popped into my mind lol Carmageddon just needs a big mace in the rear hitch to swipe people with
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Domaso
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpulent View Post
Because hitting someone with a winch, receiver, tow bar, stinger, etc would be much less damaging. . .

45 the ends.
Actually that's 100% truth.. Only the plastic bumper would be less damaging...
When you think of it, some older trucks etc. have metal bumpers as stock, so that would be equally damaging.

Anyways... I-beam for a bumper is just too much, have mercy at least rotate it 90 degrees
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
sysyphus

That is great thinking, I wish I was a fly on that wall when that idea popped up...
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Louisianaboy
2002 WJ 

I say if Ur any hand with a cutting torch cut the horizontal ends of the I beam off past the vertical part, hard to word when typing lol, so that it will be flat on the front( kinda like a c channel) then you will have something to work with.
Man, your getting some serious harassment, lol. I think you just past the state of redneck where you weld 6" pipe the the front of your truck and fill it with concrete.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.