My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 92 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #1366
piratexpress
1996 ZJ 

these replacement part you are able to get at your local parts counter?

piratexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1367
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Really awesome rig man. I had resolved to keep my new Overland relatively stock until I read most of your build thread these past few days. You've given me a mess of new ideas and now I'm back to dreaming about Jeep mods.

Your tablet install documentation was really valuable for me. I wanted to do something similar but lost focus and eventually interest. Because your thread laid everything out, I've decided to look back into it.

I don't know if you've seen it, but a TF700 friction fits into the dash of the grand. Its 263mm wide, so anything that size should fit equally as well. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2029792

This is how I would like to mount mine, however I would still like to have the OBDII integration. This would require a wire, making my setup a little less sleek. In the interest of avoiding the wire, I'd like to offer to help in getting bluetooth support working for your OBD interface app. What can I do?

Edit: what line driver did you settle on and why? Would it be sufficient to just use the Lepai?

Edit2: how did you make the connection to the amplifier? There are four +/- inputs to the amp. Both of the line drivers you linked have two channels.
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #1368
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress View Post
these replacement part you are able to get at your local parts counter?
no i ordered parts, i'll post up what the final one that works is...
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #1369
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayIV View Post
Really awesome rig man. I had resolved to keep my new Overland relatively stock until I read most of your build thread these past few days. You've given me a mess of new ideas and now I'm back to dreaming about Jeep mods.

Your tablet install documentation was really valuable for me. I wanted to do something similar but lost focus and eventually interest. Because your thread laid everything out, I've decided to look back into it.

I don't know if you've seen it, but a TF700 friction fits into the dash of the grand. Its 263mm wide, so anything that size should fit equally as well. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2029792

This is how I would like to mount mine, however I would still like to have the OBDII integration. This would require a wire, making my setup a little less sleek. In the interest of avoiding the wire, I'd like to offer to help in getting bluetooth support working for your OBD interface app. What can I do?

Edit: what line driver did you settle on and why? Would it be sufficient to just use the Lepai?

Edit2: how did you make the connection to the amplifier? There are four +/- inputs to the amp. Both of the line drivers you linked have two channels.

my XOOM would have fit width wise absolutely perfect, but i would have had to move the vents & A/C down or delete the vents and since i wanted it removable/docked anyway i decided to go the route that i did versus a more integrated look.

my audio is ghetto. i have a JBL line driver going to the Lepai and then that output goes to the factory amp. i have splitters on the left and right channels driving the 4 inputs to the amp, so i have no fader control. the JBL and Lepai are not great, but it works. i have the Lepai set at just the right balance where i can't hear any alternator whine when the music is off but then i barely have enough volume on the freeway with my mud terrains and wind noise. basically i ran out of desire to spend any more money on the project for now.

i really want to just replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one so that i don't need a line driver setup. one day i'll get around to that. i'll run the stereo output directly from the Logitech BT receiver to a Clarion EQS746 mounted inside the center console. that will boost the weak Logitech output a bit and give me an EQ that can make up for any flatness from the BT compression. it also takes the 2 channel input and provides 4 channel output with fader control. run those 4 channels to an aftermarket amp with RCA inputs and everything should be cleaner.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #1370
JayIV
2004 WJ 

To keep it simple, I'd like to keep the factory amp installed indefinitely. I don't really want to run new wires throughout the Jeep...Yet.

Did you ever look into the PAC-OEM1? http://wjjeeps.com/audioupgrade.htm#AFTER

While I'm not absolutely sure yet, I think it could be used in an application like this. Using a universal RCA input cable on the "A" side (RAD-RCA Universal) and this "B" cable, AMP-CHR02 (2002-2004 WJ's), it should be plug and play. This would provide RCA inputs to the factory amp with a 4 way line driver. I think it would also turn the factory amp on.

Can you see any issues with trying to use this and the Logitech module?
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #1371
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayIV View Post
To keep it simple, I'd like to keep the factory amp installed indefinitely. I don't really want to run new wires throughout the Jeep...Yet.

Did you ever look into the PAC-OEM1? http://wjjeeps.com/audioupgrade.htm#AFTER

While I'm not absolutely sure yet, I think it could be used in an application like this. Using a universal RCA input cable on the "A" side (RAD-RCA Universal) and this "B" cable, AMP-CHR02 (2002-2004 WJ's), it should be plug and play. This would provide RCA inputs to the factory amp with a 4 way line driver. I think it would also turn the factory amp on.

Can you see any issues with trying to use this and the Logitech module?
i originally tried the PAC LD10 Line Driver and it was junk, tons of noise.

also i said i had JBL line driver, i meant JL Audio - the CL-RLC.

the problem is neither line driver seem to pump enough power into the factory amp. the JL is clean sounding, but i still needed a real pre-amp after it instead of just a line driver to get the volume and bass out of the factory amp that i expected. maybe part of it is because i'm splitting the signal to get the 4 chan input.
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #1372
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Mud Springs trail near Fountain Hills, AZ:

Unread 01-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #1373
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
Mad flex! What a mighty rig your Jeep has become.
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #1374
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsJeep View Post
Mad flex! What a mighty rig your Jeep has become.
hey thanks! so you moved on to a TJ?
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #1375
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hey thanks! so you moved on to a TJ?
Yep. Had an XJ for a little bit and the TJ now for 4 years. I love the TJ, still making payments on it and will start building it once it's paid off. Not good for a daily driver though. I miss my WJ.
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #1376
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great pictures

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #1377
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Great pictures
thanks, the square ones are my first tests with a new .3x fisheye lens
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #1378
theksmith
2003 WJ 

for anyone in AZ this weekend that's wanting to get more into the expedition thing (cross posted from Offroad Passport here...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroad Passport View Post

What do you need to do one of our overnight runs? How do you pack for a week long expedition? What's for dinner?

These sort of questions have come up several times recently on the Offroad Passport forum as more folks consider joining us on our expedition style trips. Come out and get the answers! We'll be presenting some tips & tricks and be open to general questions on these topics at our Meet, Eat & Greet event this Saturday (2/1/2014) near Cave Creek, AZ. Our sister club, 4x4 Ham, will be there discussing trail communications (HAM rigs, CB's, antenna basics, etc.)

This is a free event, open to anyone, and the trail is doable in nearly any stock 4x4. We hope to see a lot of new faces there ready to ask questions!

Event sign-up and information thread on Offroad Passport:
http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3325

Sign-up for 4x4 Ham members:
http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php...th-a-Trail-Run
both Offroad Passport and 4x4 Ham are free forums, please register at either site and reply to one of the sign-up threads if you're coming - we just need a head count since we're furnishing food and drinks for everyone. Thanks!
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #1379
theksmith
2003 WJ 

from this weekend's trip...

Unread 02-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #1380
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Any more images of the red WJ?
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.