My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #121
nierace
2003 WJ 

Yeah I don't get why Clayton doesn't have a belly skid for the WJ's

That looks good though nicely done!

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #122
theksmith
2003 WJ 

5 tire rotation

rotated the tires today after getting an oil change... and i always have to lookup what the 5-tire rotation pattern is.. so i'm going to stick it here for next time:

Last edited by theksmith; 02-02-2009 at 10:11 PM..
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #123
theksmith
2003 WJ 

old stock pic

today i ran across this old picture of my ride when it was stock, can't believe it ever looked like this!

Last edited by theksmith; 02-02-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #124
theksmith
2003 WJ 

removal of tire/jack mounting crap in the spare tire well

couldn't just drill out the spot-welds as you normally would (since the gas tank is right below), so at first i started to use the dremel to cut around the welds... but then when prying, it seemed some of the welds were just breaking loose...

unfortunately, the one in the middle ripped things up a little instead of coming loose cleanly

so i used some roof sealing tape to seal up the holes (the kind with aluminum on one side and a tar-like material on the other side)

and now my little suitcase of rarely used items can fit nicely in there (full of extra fluids and parts like u-joints that hopefully i won't need very often)

before i did this, the metal stuff i cut out was poking through the suitcase, and i was woried the pointy edges were going to puncture a bottle eventually
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #125
zippome
2000 WJ 

i like it! im actually planning on putting two subs and my amp there at some point. glad to see how to remove that jack holder thing. thanks.
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #126
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Predator trail in Table Mesa

ran Predator on saturday and all i can say is Predator won. i'd been feeling a lot more confident with rock crawler type trails after running a few in the Florence Junction area lately, but this was much tighter and more challenging. i really need lockers... or a couple more inches of lift might have helped on this trail, but overall lockers are going to be required if i'm going to keep doing this type of trail. also need some real bumpers (hey kevins/protofab and iceland: get off your a$$es and ship a WJ bumper already!)

no pic of me on the last major obstacle (v-notch), but here is the guy in front of me. i had to take a strap to finish getting over this one:

hard to see in this pic, but the outer part of the slider is now arched up in the middle:

also the right front fender got pulled in by the tire and bent a little, under extreme articulation the tire still grabs the fender... i'm already at a 5" bump-stop extension, so i can't really go anymore without loosing all my up-travel, so i guess i really need to trim the fenders more.

Last edited by theksmith; 06-09-2009 at 01:10 AM..
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #127
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Whose sliders are those?
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #128
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Whose sliders are those?
they are JKS
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #129
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
Predator trail in Table Mesa

ran Predator on saturday and all i can say is Predator won. i'd been feeling a lot more confident with rock crawler type trails after running a few in the Florence Junction area lately, but this was much tighter and more challenging. i really need lockers... or a couple more inches of lift might have helped on this trail, but overall lockers are going to be required if i'm going to keep doing this type of trail. also need some real bumpers (hey kevins/protofab and iceland: get off your a$$es and ship a WJ bumper already!)

no pic of me on the last major obstacle (v-notch), but here is the guy in front of me. i had to take a strap to finish getting over this one:

hard to see in this pic, but the outer part of the slider is now arched up in the middle:

also the right front fender got pulled in by the tire and bent a little, under extreme articulation the tire still grabs the fender... i'm already at a 5" bump-stop extension, so i can't really go anymore without loosing all my up-travel, so i guess i really need to trim the fenders more.

I've been worried about my radiator support for that very reason, and its funny, my right front fender got pulled out by the tire, lol.
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #130
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Its sad to see that pretty jeep get scarred up like that. Im sure your very frustrated. Nice build though. How you liking that Rola Roof Rack?

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #131
Linus
2004 WJ 

considering that trail i'd be very please to get out with that little damage.

i do see people pop of the frong bumper when they go offroad, why dont you just take it off for rock crawlin? but yes eventually you will need a heavy duty bumper.

jeep looks great man!
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #132
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Its sad to see that pretty jeep get scarred up like that. Im sure your very frustrated. Nice build though. How you liking that Rola Roof Rack?
frustrated alot about the radiator support, becuase it's going to be a PITA to fix. the bumpers aren't a big deal because I expect to replace them whenever a decent aftermarket option comes out (i think the ARB is kinda ugly and the Trailready is just too expensive).

the rola rack itself is great, but the factory cross rails are pretty weak. i am currently saving up to have someone make a permanent rack out of the Rola (basicly ditch the entire factory roof rails/bars and build "legs" for the Rola to mount directly to the roof)... once I get that done, I'll feel comfortable putting usefull amount of crap up there!

Last edited by theksmith; 06-09-2009 at 01:10 AM..
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #133
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
considering that trail i'd be very please to get out with that little damage.

i do see people pop of the frong bumper when they go offroad, why dont you just take it off for rock crawlin? but yes eventually you will need a heavy duty bumper.

jeep looks great man!
thanks man!

i should have taken bumper off, but i was told the trail was comparable to another one that i know (which is no problem to run with bumper) but it turns out that was incorrect info! Seems there is alot of room for variation in a 3.5 trail rating!

here's some more info on the trail, and yes, i guess i should feel good that at least there was no body damage! http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=13800
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #134
soulman978
2001 WJ 

Man, I think you need to change the name of this thread to My Build - Rock Crawlin Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO! haha
soulman978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #135
lthlsvt
1998 ZJ 

Expedition I think is a understatement.
lthlsvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.