My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 83 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 03-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #1231
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconZJ View Post
Nice job, k! Very clean, well thought out & integrated - that's what I like about your WJ build. A tip o' the hat to you, again!

Gary
thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
That's slick

Soooo now release it to the market place and charge a buck -- next week you will be a millionaire OR Release it to the open source community for others to benefit
yeah, i'm gonna put it on github as soon as i review the code a bit to make sure i didn't do anything totally r-tarded!

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #1232
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschris View Post
did you have to have custom apps written to make all this work?
i wrote a custom app to make the steering wheel buttons work.

nothing else is custom. however, i am running a non-standard ROM (CyanogenMod 10) and therefore have root access too, but that's all pretty standard stuff among the Android mod community.

the majority of the customizations (like having it go to sleep and wakeup and turn on/off the right things when it does) are done with a wonderfully complex app called Tasker.
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #1233
gschris
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
tire/speedo/gear calculations:

original tires:
235/65/17 = 29.02755905511811"
(circumference 91.1927663")

new tires:
285/70/17 = 32.70866141732284"
(circumference 102.75729")

original gears: 3.73
suggested new gears: 4.2030164112301644

speedometer discrepancy:
40 is really 45
50 is really 56
60 is really 68
70 is really 79
75 is really 85

never had really thought about the math on the speedo before to realize that the amount you are off by gets worse as you go faster!

all calcs came from: http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm

UPDATE after lift install 6-29-08:
the computer says i am now averaging 12.5mpg, which i calculate would really be 14.1mpg if the computer was adjusted for the new tires. before tires and lift, i averaged 16mpg, so it looks like just the change in weight and aerodynamics has lost me 2mpg!!
where can i get the gears you have listed?
gschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1234
gschris
2004 WJ 

J/k
gschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #1235
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Which apps do you feel are necessary on a Jeep mounted tablet? Which are you running?
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #1236
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post
Which apps do you feel are necessary on a Jeep mounted tablet? Which are you running?
Mapping apps...
- Google Maps (street, online)
- CoPilot Live (street, offline)
- Backcountry Navigator (topo/satellite, offline)
- OruxMaps (topo/satellite, offline), better in some ways than BCN but has limitation on size of downloaded area currently

An OBDII app...
- I use TouchScan, Torque is more popular

Viewer apps...
- a general document viewer for excel/word/etc like OfficeSuite Viewer (i have a list of OBDII codes in excel format)
- Adobe Reader for a copy of the factory service manual

Lux (lets you set the screen backlight much dimmer than normal for night time use, not necessary if you have certain custom ROMS though)

An automation app...
- these sort of apps let you do basic stuff like tell the tablet to go into airplane mode to save power when external power is disconnected, or advanced stuff like start an FTP server when your near your house based on which cell tower it sees.
- Tasker rocks, but it's got a steep learning curve
- AutomateIt has a much cleaner UI, but i've not used it personally
- llama is a popular free one, but a bit limited

A media player app...
- I'm using "PlayerPro Music Player" with the Holo ICS skin, works for music and video

Streaming media apps (if you have a 3G/4G connection or can tether to your phone)...
- Pandora/LastFM/Spotify/Etc.
- Youtube/Hulu Plus/Netflix

Weather apps (if you have a 3G/4G connection or can tether to your phone)...
- i'm using HD Widgets
- i also have Weatherbug Elite for more detail

Some basics...
- a file manager, i like ES File Explorer better than ASTRO
- a backup app like Titanium Backup (not only making it easy to backup the entire config of the tablet, but also can get rid of annoying built-in apps from the phone company)
- maybe a task manager, but i rarely need it - depends on the device and the version of Android

i consider root access to be a minimum personally so i can do whatever the frig i want with it, but you don't NEED it. i actually like to run a custom ROM too, but that's definitely not needed.

in addition to all the above apps, i have my custom app for interfacing with the steering wheel buttons. i've also done a lot of customization with Tasker. finally, since i have root and am messing with behind-the-scenes stuff, i have SuperSU and Better Terminal Pro.
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #1237
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i'm happy to report that Offroad Passport will be at the 2013 Overland Expo in May. our exhibit will feature the WJ and all it's gadgets!

More info: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2607

if anyone is attending and would like to camp more remotely (in the nearby woods) instead of at the Expo, feel free to join us at our base-camp! details are in the link above.

Unread 03-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #1238
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

That's awesome.... Congrats! Quick question tho. What Bluetooth adapter do you use with your obdII app?
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #1239
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
That's awesome.... Congrats! Quick question tho. What Bluetooth adapter do you use with your obdII app?
i'm using a USB one: http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-42300...dp/B002PYBZJO/

my custom dock to connects to a USB hub so that i can have multiple accessories connected via USB. currently i'm only using bluetooth for the audio because i couldn't find a USB sound card that Android recognizes.
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #1240
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

That makes sense in your case. Any recommendations on a Bluetooth adapter for the obdII
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #1241
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
That makes sense in your case. Any recommendations on a Bluetooth adapter for the obdII
the OBDLink MX and the PLX Devices Kiwi are the top end, but they are expensive. i'd probably try one of the cheap ones off amazon that has decent reviews first. sorry, no personal experience with any of them. let me know what you get and if there are any problems with it plz! i want to get one eventually and make my steering wheel interface app work with it so that it can benefit more people.
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #1242
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Thanks for the input! I look forward to trying this out with my tablet. Now I just need to figure out a mount. I don't care for anything on the market. Any advantage of TouchScan over Torque??
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1243
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I look forward to trying this out with my tablet. Now I just need to figure out a mount. I don't care for anything on the market. Any advantage of TouchScan over Torque??
i just liked the UI of TouchScan better for just a basic OBDII app. Torque has widgets and lots of extra little features if you're into that, the ricers love it!
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1244
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith

the OBDLink MX and the PLX Devices Kiwi are the top end, but they are expensive. i'd probably try one of the cheap ones off amazon that has decent reviews first. sorry, no personal experience with any of them. let me know what you get and if there are any problems with it plz! i want to get one eventually and make my steering wheel interface app work with it so that it can benefit more people.
Just as a warning - my boss bought a cheapie elm327 knock off and it would not connect to anything except a $60 cheap no name android tablet

What did not work:
Various winblows laptops
Ipad 2
Mac book pro
Samsung android tablet
Galaxy android phone
iPhone 4s
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #1245
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Just as a warning - my boss bought a cheapie elm327 knock off and it would not connect to anything except a $60 cheap no name android tablet

What did not work:
Various winblows laptops
Ipad 2
Mac book pro
Samsung android tablet
Galaxy android phone
iPhone 4s
good warning, i had bought a $10 sb one from ebay and it only worked with certain protocols of obdII. the $25 one i got from amazon works great though, but it's a recognized brand (scantool.net). it's too bad there seem to be no reputable inexpensive bluetooth ones.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.