My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 82 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #1216
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

congratulations on the successful tablet setup. that thing kicks ***!

wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #1217
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post

Also, I noted you mentioned having 4g data, so I assume you have this on a cellular plan? But for any of those wondering, a really easy fix, and possibly less expensive than a data plan for tablets, would be to use those small portable wifi hotspots. I bought one from wal mart for like $60 bucks, and for $40 you can choose to have 8gb for 30 days or 4gb until it runs out, which I prefer the 8gb as I use data heavily. So this little thing, connected to a simple car charger and mounted discretely to the side of my center console, gives me a solid, password-protected wifi signal in my jeep, for up to 5 devices, so on road trips, when parked, etc we can always be in wifi and be able to use non-data plan devices too. Just as an alternative solution for anyone wanting to do something similar but lack a cellular data-plan device, works for me.

But again, awesome job on that mount and set up, I'm truly jealous of the design and cleanliness of the look. Sorry for any assumptions I might have made wrong from not having read the rest of the thread yet, going to do that now!

BTW- what type of tablet is that?
Derek
that's good info on the pay-as-you-go data, i didn't realize it had gotten down that cheap now. and yes, i already have a verizon family plan so adding this device was only $10/month extra.

it's a motorola XOOM, all the details about this install are on my mp3car worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/worklogs/15515...rokee-4x4.html
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #1218
theksmith
2003 WJ 

all the audio issues with the tablet install are fixed, sounds at least as good as the original radio + factory infinity amp, probably a little better. i'd like to replace the factory amp and speakers one day, but that's another project.

the main item left todo from my original goals is the steering wheel remote control buttons... then i can move on to experimenting with some random other things like sensors, cameras, etc.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #1219
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith
all the audio issues with the tablet install are fixed, sounds at least as good as the original radio + factory infinity amp, probably a little better. i'd like to replace the factory amp and speakers one day, but that's another project.

the main item left todo from my original goals is the steering wheel remote control buttons... then i can move on to experimenting with some random other things like sensors, cameras, etc.
What was the issues besides shielding ? Just a little curious if u could elaborate =)

Edit: how did you get 4channels from it too

Please and thank you
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #1220
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
What was the issues besides shielding ? Just a little curious if u could elaborate =)

Edit: how did you get 4channels from it too

Please and thank you
mainly it was the PAC line driver being a total POS. it was picking up and amplifying most of the noise and it was also giving me a thump on turnoff. i replaced it with a JL Audio CL-RLC that is much nicer and has differential-balanced inputs which seemed to kill most of the noise. i also used ferrite beads on both RCA inputs going into it.

so with the noise fixed, the audio was still very "flat" sounding and i couldn't get enough volume. it seemed that neither the PAC or the JL Audio was driving the factory Infinity Amp hard enough. since the factory amp was really designed for speaker level inputs, i bought this tiny Lepai amp for $20 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai...dp/B0049P6OTI/

with that little amp, and after playing with both the tone knobs on it and with the EQ on the tablet, the punch and volume really came back to the factory amp. it now sounds at least a good, actually a little better, than the factory radio. i had to run a noise filter on the power for the Lepai, it was picking up alternator whine, apparently it has a crappy power supply, but for $20, hey what do you expect.

eventually i want to get an aftermarket amp and all new speakers, and i can get rid of the Lepia junk, but will probably still need the JL Audio line driver since the bluetooth receiver seems to just output a really weak signal and is prone to picking up interference. i just didn't want to get into all that $$ right now.

for the 4 channel, i just tied the inputs on the infinity amp together. so i have no fade control, but both front and rear speakers work. when i get around to a whole new amp and such, i'll probably mount a 1/2 din EQ under the center armrest - most of them have a fader control and would also give me better tone controls. something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746...dp/B000EZV3T8/
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #1221
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Nice! Lookslike your little exploration was fun, how were the trails? I wanted to go but I didnt get the f> r done yet. And tds was the next weekend so I de ided to go to that.

Did you use backcountry navigator on the trail? Or did you go with a different app for that?
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #1222
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0ungGunZJ View Post
Nice! Lookslike your little exploration was fun, how were the trails? I wanted to go but I didnt get the f> r done yet. And tds was the next weekend so I de ided to go to that.

Did you use backcountry navigator on the trail? Or did you go with a different app for that?
trails are all easy except one washed out area. a few 4-lo trails, but still easy stuff.

i did use BCN, worked fine.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #1223
theksmith
2003 WJ 

took a friend from Germany on the Log Corral trail here just outside Phoenix yesterday...

here's our German friend Christian in his 5.7L VVT Hemi equiped JK:

and some of you know of Clifford:

Unread 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #1224
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
trails are all easy except one washed out area. a few 4-lo trails, but still easy stuff.

i did use BCN, worked fine.
sounds like i wouldn't of had any issues there. let me know when you come out to SD area again either on here or on MC.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #1225
gschris
2004 WJ 

with the tablet will you have GPS that works anywhere? We are looking for something like that with our overland as we build it..
gschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #1226
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

You should see if you could use it to switch on wireless relays
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #1227
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschris View Post
with the tablet will you have GPS that works anywhere? We are looking for something like that with our overland as we build it..
yes, most android tablets have internal GPS that work anywhere. you need an app that lets you download maps for use offline, such as Backcountry Navigator, or Orux Maps, or CoPilot Live. i have not had any issues with the internal one's accuracy or sensitivity when away from cell signals.

the iPad's that are 3G/4G have internal GPS as well, but the WiFi models i don't believe do. All the people i've seen using an iPad use an external GPS receiver (the 'Bad Elf GPS' or BlueTooth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo24 View Post
You should see if you could use it to switch on wireless relays
i could wire it up to switch on/off pretty much anything, but i can't think of anything that i want to... i'd rather still have physical buttons. i do plan to eventually hook it up to some sensors... i want to monitor the fridge temperature for example. i was going to monitor the Jeep's instrument backlight level to adjust the backlight on the tablet, but the automatic ambient backlight adjustment works really well so far.
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #1228
theksmith
2003 WJ 

steering wheel buttons working!

edit: link fixed
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #1229
ReconZJ
1997 ZJ 

Nice job, k! Very clean, well thought out & integrated - that's what I like about your WJ build. A tip o' the hat to you, again!

Gary
'72 240Z - in storage, needs everything
'02 S10 Xtreme - for sale soon
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #1230
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith
That's slick

Soooo now release it to the market place and charge a buck -- next week you will be a millionaire OR Release it to the open source community for others to benefit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.