My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 81 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #1201
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
Looks real good! I'd like to do something similar in the zj this summer. Maybe not so much a dedicated setup, but a tablet in the jeep would be awesome. I've got a blackberry playbook. Hmm..
thanks!

yeah, there's no need to get crazy if you don't want a dedicated setup. you can get a generic tablet mount and run a car charger cable. even if you want some accessories, pretty much everything can be done via bluetooth (OBDII, audio-out) or wifi (external HD).

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #1202
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Definitely gonna be checking this idea out
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #1203
theksmith
2003 WJ 

a frist-attempt with all the electronics is complete and it all works! i went for 2 short test rides to make sure things behaved as expected... there are still a few immediate to-do's but it's 90% there.

High Priority ToDo:

- track down some noises in the audio
- verify all mounting is secure enough for offroad use, then paint all the bare aluminum
- get steering wheel remote buttons working
- purchase an OBDII app and test
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #1204
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Looks very clean!
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #1205
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i had to completely re-do the chasis. i was getting significant noise due to EMI from the tablet's 4G data connection. all the supporting electronics are now inside the old factory radio shell, with additional shielding as well.

still a few details with the hardware, but i've been working on the software side for a little change of scenery (automation, UI customization, and evaluating apps).

Quote:
the home screen is setup to display some info and give access to all the commonly needed functions:

i'm setting up Tasker so that the tablet is always in a "mode". the modes control things like screen brightness/timeout/lock, GPS/WiFi/4G/BlueTooth status, launch/kill apps, music stop/start, etc.
- "Default" is for normal around home or public use
- "Jeep" is for when docked and has sub-modes for awake, sleep, and hard-sleep
- "Trailside" is for the scenario of reviewing maps outside of the Jeep with other folks on a trip

whenever the tablet looses power (Jeep turns off or i remove it from the dock), i'm prompted for 10 seconds to change modes, otherwise it remains in "Jeep" mode but enters the "sleep" sub-mode. there will be more sub-modes for "Jeep" later (day/night, remote-manage, etc).

the lock screen is also setup to give me access to the modes. swiping to any mode icon unlocks and switches to that mode. the main unlock icon just unlocks and remains in the current mode. the lock screen isn't shown when the Jeep starts up, this is mainly for when in other portable modes.

- the backgrounds are photos i took of the Jeep and cleaned up in Photoshop.
- the icons all came from the app "MetroStation icon pack"
- i'm currently using the free version of Apex Launcher. CyanogenMod 10 has a new launcher (Trebuchet) and it's still got a few bugs. once 10.1 is stable for the XOOM, it sounds like it'll have all of the Launcher features that i want built-in.
- the weather widgets are from the app "HD Widgets"
- the music control widget is from the app "PlayerPro Music Player" (ICS theme for the widget and using Holo ICS theme in the app itself)
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1206
wvracer821
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Great work on that tablet install! Hope you get all the bugs worked out soon. I can't wait to see it up and running.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #1207
w0mps
2002 WJ 

I plan on doing a tablet setup too. Looking at a Nexus 7. I have a mount next to my radio for my cell phone, which I plan on swapping to the other side of the radio, and buying another bracket to mount the tablet to. You can kind of see it here:

image-946897372.jpg

The only problem I see is not having a cellular connection. What is your primary use for the tablet? I was planning on using it as a 7" GPS and Google maps. Issue is, you can only download a section of map in Google (about the size of a state). That and controlling my Go Pro through WiFi.
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #1208
theksmith
2003 WJ 

finished strengthening and painting the mounting brackets, and widened my CB & Ham mic mounts. still having some issues with the audio, but it works ok for now. have a potential solution for that, which i'll experiment with next week.

this weekend the system gets it's first real test on the Old Dale trip...
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #1209
adavis39
2002 WJ 

very nice
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #1210
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Wow man, that looks absolutely awesome mounted in there like that. I just stumbled across this, and am gonna work my way through the thread to read the details, but I assume you've set this up to literally replace your radio ultimately, as it seems to use the old casing and thus, stock mounting location, truly ingenious idea. Really looks clean and as if it were a factory option.

Well you've inspired me to start working on my own tablet mount also; however, my plans are much simpler. Most likely will just mount near (or possibly in front of, with a flip down feature) the radio, and just connect through USB to pass sound through and mainly use pandora and mp3 music, but with the added features of the large screen for google maps for navi, etc. so I will probably just find some way to mount it to the plastic fascia surrounding the radio and reinforce it from behind.

Also, I noted you mentioned having 4g data, so I assume you have this on a cellular plan? But for any of those wondering, a really easy fix, and possibly less expensive than a data plan for tablets, would be to use those small portable wifi hotspots. I bought one from wal mart for like $60 bucks, and for $40 you can choose to have 8gb for 30 days or 4gb until it runs out, which I prefer the 8gb as I use data heavily. So this little thing, connected to a simple car charger and mounted discretely to the side of my center console, gives me a solid, password-protected wifi signal in my jeep, for up to 5 devices, so on road trips, when parked, etc we can always be in wifi and be able to use non-data plan devices too. Just as an alternative solution for anyone wanting to do something similar but lack a cellular data-plan device, works for me.

But again, awesome job on that mount and set up, I'm truly jealous of the design and cleanliness of the look. Sorry for any assumptions I might have made wrong from not having read the rest of the thread yet, going to do that now!

BTW- what type of tablet is that?

Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #1211
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Sorry, one more thing- I noticed you mentioned wanting to find a good OBDII app also. Please let us know what you find and decide on for an app/software, because this is also something I've really been wanting to looking into investing in, as it seems there is now some really awesome software out there for extensively monitoring your Jeeps OBDII system, which is really useful. I'd like to know what you go with and your thoughts about it when you've used it.

Thanks!

Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #1212
NCPoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post
Sorry, one more thing- I noticed you mentioned wanting to find a good OBDII app also. Please let us know what you find and decide on for an app/software, because this is also something I've really been wanting to looking into investing in, as it seems there is now some really awesome software out there for extensively monitoring your Jeeps OBDII system, which is really useful. I'd like to know what you go with and your thoughts about it when you've used it.

Thanks!

Derek
I use Torque, great app. I believe it has a free version, but the paid was only 3$ when I got it.
NCPoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1213
theksmith
2003 WJ 

just made it back from the Old Dale Mining District...
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #1214
theksmith
2003 WJ 

the tablet setup performed pretty darn well on it's maiden voyage this weekend!

the audio wasn't loud enough, but i knew that was still a problem going in. i worked on that a bit today and i think i'm getting it closer to being dialed in.

i used Copilot Live just a bit to test it out, but since I had 4G most of the freeway part of the trip, i just used Google Maps (seeing traffic ahead of time is great!). Backcountry Navigator worked very well during the off-highway portion of the trip. the recently beefed up mount was perfect - solid as a rock through all the whoops, ditches, and rock-strewn-washes. the Tasker profiles i setup for when the Jeep was on/off worked as expected too. having 10" of a map screen is friggen fantastic, i can reach this thing easier than the previous touchscreen, and it works in direct sunlight a million times better - i can't believe i didn't do this project sooner!
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #1215
theksmith
2003 WJ 

another shot from the Old Dale area:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.