My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 6 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 1681 Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
GibsJeep
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
yes! well it's supposed to go on the WJ.. that's the idea anyway...

clayton told me he just needed to make a different rear bar for the ZJ skid to work with the WJ, i told him to just send me the plate and I would have a local guy create and weld the bar to make sure it doesn't interfere with my exhaust.

you can see on this post over on MC how it mounts and why you might need to make the bends in the bar different depending how how/where your exhuast is shaped and mounted: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=27
Very nice ksmith .......So Clayton, in the near future, will officially have the full belly skid assembly available specifically for the WJ in the near future???



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GibsJeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 1681 Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsJeep View Post
Very nice ksmith .......So Clayton, in the near future, will officially have the full belly skid assembly available specifically for the WJ in the near future???
when i first talked to him about this in september he said "We have a ZJ skid that will work ... it just needs a little bit of modification that I need to get done this fall."

it's fall! so email him and ask him when they will be ready for mass production!
theksmith is offline  
post #78 of 1681 Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM
tirus89
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,247
Very nice build so far, very jelious. What do you do for a living that you can afford these kind of parts?

//
tirus89 is offline  
post #79 of 1681 Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirus89 View Post
Very nice build so far, very jelious. What do you do for a living that you can afford these kind of parts?
thanks very much! i am a self-employed software developer, i do mostly ASP.NET, also some PHP and FLASH ActionScript among other things

oh and being single with no other real hobbies helps!

Last edited by theksmith; 11-11-2008 at 01:01 AM.
theksmith is offline  
post #80 of 1681 Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 AM
ScottHarr_TJ
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 727
your WJ looks wicked. i want my girlfriend to let me do this to hers, but no dice. keep it up. its lookin real good

00' TJ-sold
'10 WK
Blue Jeep Club Memeber #132?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottHarr_TJ is offline  
post #81 of 1681 Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701
cb antenna mounting

put cb antenna in a while back, just getting around to posting pics...

i did the same tail light area mount as several other people, but with a couple variations to clean it up a bit. for the mount i went with the firestik SS-134 which is a little narrower than i've seen others using... we'll see how it holds up: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-13.htm

then for the cable and stud, i used the firstik K4-8R18 firering style connector so that it wouldn't hang down into the light as much: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k4-8r18.htm

here's a pic of where i routed the wire into the cabin. from there, i then ran along the door jam, then under the carpet beneath the passenger seat (had to remove the seat to manage), then up into the center console and to the CB unit:


here is a shot from outside with the tail light removed. i used some industrial aluminum tape to secure the cable, and 3 screws along with JB Weld to secure the mount. the yellow thing in the picture is unrelated, just a load-equalizing resistor for my LED blinkers:


another difference, i used a dremel to notch out the tail light to have room for the mount and cable, so that it would sit in the exact same location as stock instead of with a slight down-angle:


here you can see the final result:


for an antenna, i'm using a 3' FireFly (FL3-B) that i already had, i'll probably switch to 4ft when i get around to buying one. the FireFly series is just a little lighter than the FireStik series and works fine unless you are running a linear amp with high wattage.
[i need to update this later with a pic of the antenna actually installed]

i also went ahead and ran a mount and cable for a HAM radio even though i don't yet have one (figured as long as everything was torn apart!). i did the exact same wire routing and mounting bar, but used a Diamond Antenna C213 cable. i'll probably go with the Diamond NR770HB antenna once i get a HAM rig and license:


one final shot from the back showing both mounts:
theksmith is offline  
post #82 of 1681 Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701
did nearly 900 miles this past weekend visiting the Mojave Preserve and running the Mojave Road. the jeep ran perfect, no issues doing 85 on the freeway then airing down and running across the desert for days, love my WJ!!

here's a pic from the trip:


rest of pics... http://picasaweb.google.com/kristoff...veRoadJeepTrip
theksmith is offline  
post #83 of 1681 Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
SpeedyCat3
Survivor
 
SpeedyCat3's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
put cb antenna in a while back, just getting around to posting pics...

i did the same tail light area mount as several other people, but with a couple variations to clean it up a bit. for the mount i went with the firestik SS-134 which is a little narrower than i've seen others using... we'll see how it holds up: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-13.htm

then for the cable and stud, i used the firstik K4-8R18 firering style connector so that it wouldn't hang down into the light as much: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k4-8r18.htm

here's a pic of where i routed the wire into the cabin. from there, i then ran along the door jam, then under the carpet beneath the passenger seat (had to remove the seat to manage), then up into the center console and to the CB unit:


here is a shot from outside with the tail light removed. i used some industrial aluminum tape to secure the cable, and 3 screws along with JB Weld to secure the mount. the yellow thing in the picture is unrelated, just a load-equalizing resistor for my LED blinkers:


another difference, i used a dremel to notch out the tail light to have room for the mount and cable, so that it would sit in the exact same location as stock instead of with a slight down-angle:


here you can see the final result:


for an antenna, i'm using a 3' FireFly (FL3-B) that i already had, i'll probably switch to 4ft when i get around to buying one. the FireFly series is just a little lighter than the FireStik series and works fine unless you are running a linear amp with high wattage.
[i need to update this later with a pic of the antenna actually installed]

i also went ahead and ran a mount and cable for a HAM radio even though i don't yet have one (figured as long as everything was torn apart!). i did the exact same wire routing and mounting bar, but used a Diamond Antenna C213 cable. i'll probably go with the Diamond NR770HB antenna once i get a HAM rig and license:


one final shot from the back showing both mounts:
If you are going with a dual bander, I strongly suggest the Diamond SG7900...
best gain antenna there is, not really long, and excellent performance....

_o o o o_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)
[] ---o-[]


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SpeedyCat3 is offline  
post #84 of 1681 Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701
did some scenic runs this weekend. it rained last week, so we found plenty of mud... here's the dirty Jeep:

theksmith is offline  
post #85 of 1681 Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701



video of me getting stupid in the snow at the Cinders in Flagstaff, AZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-lF6XRzmA

and a hill climb in the snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ahx8NG8e0

Last edited by theksmith; 12-23-2008 at 03:00 PM.
theksmith is offline  
post #86 of 1681 Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 AM
JCDubya
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Garage
Posts: 795
Does the rear sit lower with the Teraflex springs? How do they compare to IRO springs?
JCDubya is offline  
post #87 of 1681 Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 AM
MEinSoCal
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,516
so at 4.5in lift and 33in mud tires, how much and what kind of rubbing do you get if any?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MEinSoCal is offline  
post #88 of 1681 Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Haleyrz
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane
Posts: 2,767
ksmith, have you used those KM2's in the snow on the road yet? If so how is the traction with those? Sweet jeep yo!!!!

1998 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 2WD, it's boring
Haleyrz is offline  
post #89 of 1681 Old 12-23-2008, 03:59 AM
311LJ
311Popo
 
311LJ's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Springville
Posts: 7,476
i have the exact same tires as him (same size and all) and they work great for me! they only slide if i "want" them to ha ha its hard to even do doughnuts ha ha

dude, looks like a great trip... about that wj trade? im still down! ha ha jk, so when are you going to come up to moab next? have you ever been? i got LOTS, so let me know dude and i'll totally come down and we can hit the trails!

John
04 TJ Unlimited, GenRight Armor, 37's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89 XJ Laredo, 31's
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline  
post #90 of 1681 Old 12-23-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyZJ View Post
ksmith, have you used those KM2's in the snow on the road yet? If so how is the traction with those? Sweet jeep yo!!!!
put about 8k miles on them as a daily driver and offroad, they work great everywhere and are pretty quiet on the road, love those tires infact!
theksmith is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
LoD Expedition Tire Carrier Follow-Up... Finulanu Wrangler General Discussion 10 05-30-2011 10:12 PM
***My Mall Ready Expedition Build*** k9popo Grand Cherokee General Discussion 67 12-01-2009 06:19 PM
My 2003 4.7L WJ build... (ok... the wife's WJ) 65Mustangs Grand Cherokee General Discussion 24 06-28-2009 12:26 AM
Distance/Expedition suspension paddingtonbear ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 05-06-2008 06:41 PM
Set up for expedition/ extended travel? DenverCruiser ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 30 12-02-2005 02:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome