My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #76
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
yes! well it's supposed to go on the WJ.. that's the idea anyway...

clayton told me he just needed to make a different rear bar for the ZJ skid to work with the WJ, i told him to just send me the plate and I would have a local guy create and weld the bar to make sure it doesn't interfere with my exhaust.

you can see on this post over on MC how it mounts and why you might need to make the bends in the bar different depending how how/where your exhuast is shaped and mounted: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=27
Very nice ksmith .......So Clayton, in the near future, will officially have the full belly skid assembly available specifically for the WJ in the near future???

Unread 11-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #77
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsJeep View Post
Very nice ksmith .......So Clayton, in the near future, will officially have the full belly skid assembly available specifically for the WJ in the near future???
when i first talked to him about this in september he said "We have a ZJ skid that will work ... it just needs a little bit of modification that I need to get done this fall."

it's fall! so email him and ask him when they will be ready for mass production!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #78
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

Very nice build so far, very jelious. What do you do for a living that you can afford these kind of parts?

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #79
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirus89 View Post
Very nice build so far, very jelious. What do you do for a living that you can afford these kind of parts?
thanks very much! i am a self-employed software developer, i do mostly ASP.NET, also some PHP and FLASH ActionScript among other things

oh and being single with no other real hobbies helps!

Last edited by theksmith; 11-11-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #80
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

your WJ looks wicked. i want my girlfriend to let me do this to hers, but no dice. keep it up. its lookin real good
Blue Jeep Club Memeber #132?
My Custom Back Seat Box Build
ScottHarr_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #81
theksmith
2003 WJ 

cb antenna mounting

put cb antenna in a while back, just getting around to posting pics...

i did the same tail light area mount as several other people, but with a couple variations to clean it up a bit. for the mount i went with the firestik SS-134 which is a little narrower than i've seen others using... we'll see how it holds up: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-13.htm

then for the cable and stud, i used the firstik K4-8R18 firering style connector so that it wouldn't hang down into the light as much: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k4-8r18.htm

here's a pic of where i routed the wire into the cabin. from there, i then ran along the door jam, then under the carpet beneath the passenger seat (had to remove the seat to manage), then up into the center console and to the CB unit:

here is a shot from outside with the tail light removed. i used some industrial aluminum tape to secure the cable, and 3 screws along with JB Weld to secure the mount. the yellow thing in the picture is unrelated, just a load-equalizing resistor for my LED blinkers:

another difference, i used a dremel to notch out the tail light to have room for the mount and cable, so that it would sit in the exact same location as stock instead of with a slight down-angle:

here you can see the final result:

for an antenna, i'm using a 3' FireFly (FL3-B) that i already had, i'll probably switch to 4ft when i get around to buying one. the FireFly series is just a little lighter than the FireStik series and works fine unless you are running a linear amp with high wattage.
[i need to update this later with a pic of the antenna actually installed]

i also went ahead and ran a mount and cable for a HAM radio even though i don't yet have one (figured as long as everything was torn apart!). i did the exact same wire routing and mounting bar, but used a Diamond Antenna C213 cable. i'll probably go with the Diamond NR770HB antenna once i get a HAM rig and license:

one final shot from the back showing both mounts:
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #82
theksmith
2003 WJ 

did nearly 900 miles this past weekend visiting the Mojave Preserve and running the Mojave Road. the jeep ran perfect, no issues doing 85 on the freeway then airing down and running across the desert for days, love my WJ!!

here's a pic from the trip:

rest of pics... http://picasaweb.google.com/kristoff...veRoadJeepTrip
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #83
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
put cb antenna in a while back, just getting around to posting pics...

i did the same tail light area mount as several other people, but with a couple variations to clean it up a bit. for the mount i went with the firestik SS-134 which is a little narrower than i've seen others using... we'll see how it holds up: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-13.htm

then for the cable and stud, i used the firstik K4-8R18 firering style connector so that it wouldn't hang down into the light as much: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k4-8r18.htm

here's a pic of where i routed the wire into the cabin. from there, i then ran along the door jam, then under the carpet beneath the passenger seat (had to remove the seat to manage), then up into the center console and to the CB unit:

here is a shot from outside with the tail light removed. i used some industrial aluminum tape to secure the cable, and 3 screws along with JB Weld to secure the mount. the yellow thing in the picture is unrelated, just a load-equalizing resistor for my LED blinkers:

another difference, i used a dremel to notch out the tail light to have room for the mount and cable, so that it would sit in the exact same location as stock instead of with a slight down-angle:

here you can see the final result:

for an antenna, i'm using a 3' FireFly (FL3-B) that i already had, i'll probably switch to 4ft when i get around to buying one. the FireFly series is just a little lighter than the FireStik series and works fine unless you are running a linear amp with high wattage.
[i need to update this later with a pic of the antenna actually installed]

i also went ahead and ran a mount and cable for a HAM radio even though i don't yet have one (figured as long as everything was torn apart!). i did the exact same wire routing and mounting bar, but used a Diamond Antenna C213 cable. i'll probably go with the Diamond NR770HB antenna once i get a HAM rig and license:

one final shot from the back showing both mounts:
If you are going with a dual bander, I strongly suggest the Diamond SG7900...
best gain antenna there is, not really long, and excellent performance....
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #84
theksmith
2003 WJ 

did some scenic runs this weekend. it rained last week, so we found plenty of mud... here's the dirty Jeep:

Unread 12-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #85
theksmith
2003 WJ 

video of me getting stupid in the snow at the Cinders in Flagstaff, AZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-lF6XRzmA

and a hill climb in the snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ahx8NG8e0

Last edited by theksmith; 12-23-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #86
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Does the rear sit lower with the Teraflex springs? How do they compare to IRO springs?
JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #87
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

so at 4.5in lift and 33in mud tires, how much and what kind of rubbing do you get if any?
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #88
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

ksmith, have you used those KM2's in the snow on the road yet? If so how is the traction with those? Sweet jeep yo!!!!
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #89
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i have the exact same tires as him (same size and all) and they work great for me! they only slide if i "want" them to ha ha its hard to even do doughnuts ha ha

dude, looks like a great trip... about that wj trade? im still down! ha ha jk, so when are you going to come up to moab next? have you ever been? i got LOTS, so let me know dude and i'll totally come down and we can hit the trails!
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #90
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyZJ View Post
ksmith, have you used those KM2's in the snow on the road yet? If so how is the traction with those? Sweet jeep yo!!!!
put about 8k miles on them as a daily driver and offroad, they work great everywhere and are pretty quiet on the road, love those tires infact!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.