My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #826
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I had to drive w/o my front one a couple years ago to GSW:

Part 1:
Part 2:

Unread 05-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #827
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

So can we call you Ryan Jones from now on?

I had to drive back last year with no sway bars. Front discos got all messed up and there was a boulder that had fallen right after Grand Junction. Thought I was going to die.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #828
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
it with the aussie and 4.56s, and the 30 with the arb and 4.56s will be for sale once they are actually out of the vehicle!

Are they out? Are they for sale? What are you asking?
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #829
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Are they out? Are they for sale? What are you asking?
hah, yeah they are out and despite my new issues, i'm not putting em back in now!

WJ front Dana 30

the good:
- 4.56 gears
- ARB locker
- unit-bearings, TRE's, and axles shafts not too old and in good shape
- JKS/Kevins track bar, drag link, and tie-rod
- spare set of complete axle shafts
- akebono calipers

the bad:
- could use some ball joints (i think just uppers, not 100% sure)
- power-slot rotors are a little warped

WJ rear Dana 44HD / 44A

the good:
- 4.56 gears
- Aussie locker
- spare set of axle shafts - slightly bent

the bad:
- at least one shaft currently in the axle, as well as both spare shafts, are slightly bent. completely driveable like this, but it makes the brake disc just slightly wobble. so - when you go slow you hear a squeek squeek squeek as the disc touches the pads as it rotates.
- power-slot rotors a little warped on the back one too i think

so basically anyone that wants these is getting lockers, gears, JKS stuff, and lots of spare stuff - but to get them all perfect you would need one (maybe 2) rear shafts, plus 2 (maybe 4) new ball-joints, and to re-use your rotors (or get new ones).

considering what gears and lockers cost plus install labor - i'm going to say $1,000 is more than a good deal.

no i won't pay any shipping, and no i don't have any way to deliver them. i'm borrowing a truck and picking them up from the shop next week (West Phoenix), after which they'll be at my house in North Phoenix.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #830
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
I had to drive w/o my front one a couple years ago to GSW:

awesome that she's such a good sport about it!
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #831
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
hah, yeah they are out and despite my new issues, i'm not putting em back in now!

WJ front Dana 30

the good:
- 4.56 gears
- ARB locker
- unit-bearings, TRE's, and axles shafts not too old and in good shape
- JKS/Kevins track bar, drag link, and tie-rod
- spare set of complete axle shafts
- akebono calipers

the bad:
- could use some ball joints (i think just uppers, not 100% sure)
- power-slot rotors are a little warped

WJ rear Dana 44HD / 44A

the good:
- 4.56 gears
- Aussie locker
- spare set of axle shafts - slightly bent

the bad:
- at least one shaft currently in the axle, as well as both spare shafts, are slightly bent. completely driveable like this, but it makes the brake disc just slightly wobble. so - when you go slow you hear a squeek squeek squeek as the disc touches the pads as it rotates.
- power-slot rotors a little warped on the back one too i think

so basically anyone that wants these is getting lockers, gears, JKS stuff, and lots of spare stuff - but to get them all perfect you would need one (maybe 2) rear shafts, plus 2 (maybe 4) new ball-joints, and to re-use your rotors (or get new ones).

considering what gears and lockers cost plus install labor - i'm going to say $1,000 is more than a good deal.

no i won't pay any shipping, and no i don't have any way to deliver them. i'm borrowing a truck and picking them up from the shop next week (West Phoenix), after which they'll be at my house in North Phoenix.

PM coming your way...

OK, I read you post on Jeeps Unlimited...where is the nearest trucking.shipping company that can package them and ship FedEx Ground? I will arrange the shipping I just need to know who can or will package them...unless you can or will? Can or will the shop where they currently are package them if paid...

85001 your zip?
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #832
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

JKS/Kevins track bar, drag link, and tie-rod...<--------- Are these all aftermarket?
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #833
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
so nothing new on the jeep lately, but i have been messing with my other off-road toy...

GF got me a Losi 1/16 scale short-course-truck for my birthday a couple months ago. It's pretty darn fast with the brushless motor, and jumps pretty level too. I like the new fad of 1/16 and even smaller R/C. they last longer on a charge, you just get more bang for you buck, etc. It won't do tall grass or really rocky terrain that a 1/10 scale might, but it's perfect on pea-gravel, sand, and dirt.

here's how it came:

a couple weeks ago i got a clear body for it and some decals meant for a couple different 1/10 scale trucks (no-one makes any decals for this one yet).... never did up a custom body before, so thought it would be fun.

3 layers of paint (silver, black, white):

took a lot of time playing with the decals. had to make some templates out of paper first for different areas and then trim decals to fit, used only portions of most of the decals since they were meant for a larger scale vehicle. here's the final result:

this is the main decal kit i used...

and this is the details kit...

i've got some lights from rc-lights.com to add to it eventually to - i'll post up whenever i get around to that!

Neat...I bought the Traxxas Slash....that thing was jumping sand, rocks and anyhting over in Baghdad....

They are fun.
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #834
theksmith
2003 WJ 

looks like Phantom is buying the axles if we can get shipping worked out, thanks dude.

in other news: troubleshooting lesson one - trust no one, assume nothing.

i took out the front driveshaft. vibration is better but still really bad (completely not what i was told). so i have more than one area to look at.

my first step now is going to be taking both driveshafts WITH the flanges to be balanced by a different shop. then i'll focus on the rear and try to get it dialed in before even attempting to put the front shaft back in.
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #835
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Di the weights fall off on the DS?
Unread 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #836
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
looks like Phantom is buying the axles if we can get shipping worked out, thanks dude.

in other news: troubleshooting lesson one - trust no one, assume nothing.

i took out the front driveshaft. vibration is better but still really bad (completely not what i was told). so i have more than one area to look at.

my first step now is going to be taking both driveshafts WITH the flanges to be balanced by a different shop. then i'll focus on the rear and try to get it dialed in before even attempting to put the front shaft back in.
Gimmie a call....

I have to ask, does it come with the air compressor and the lines?
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #837
ReconZJ

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
...in other news: troubleshooting lesson one - trust no one, assume nothing.

Crap, back to square one! Sounds like you've got a good plan, though.
'72 240Z - in storage, needs everything
'02 S10 Xtreme - for sale soon
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #838
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

All I can say is wow!! Love the build man! good luck with the vibe prob, wish I could be of help. .

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #839
robthebuilderer
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I also recently swapped the 242HD with TW SYE into my 2003 Overland (http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35).

I'm riding on a BB with 31's and have the DC rear shaft and was able to use my original DC front shaft (with new u-joints). Before I put the front shaft in I took a road trip, 400 miles round trip and was soooo happy with the ride. I put the front shaft in a week later and felt some vibes between 65 and 70. I also feel what I can only describe as the driveline "settling" when I come to a stop. BOTH of these issues ONLY happen in 2wd mode....so I have been driving around in 4WH until I can figure it out. In my mind having it in 4WD keeps tension on both outputs eliminating the "settling" feeling and controlling what could be a bad front output shaft, but I'm no mechanic.

I’m inclined to believe that I have an issue with the front output, as you have mentioned. But I am pretty sure I didn’t leave anything out. So I did climb under it to tug on the rear shaft, greased the slip and when I got to the front output I could actually move it (just slightly) so I made sure it was torqued to 130ft.lb. It still has some movement in it, so it may be that there is a snap ring on the outside face of the output bearing that I missed??? I’ve reviewed some exploded views and nothing is shown there, do you recall installing one frontside of the bearing?

And by the way, GREAT build!
robthebuilderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #840
Sandrider
1999 WJ 

Good luck solving your vibrations. you have inspired me to get started with my wj, and to build it right!
Sandrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.