My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #811
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet88 View Post
Do it!!!
i'm trying to talk a friend from CA into coming with me to split some of the cost right now!

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #812
theksmith
2003 WJ 

found this pic that a friend took while we where in CO last year:

Unread 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #813
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith

i'm trying to talk a friend from CA into coming with me to split some of the cost right now!
Nice!

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #814
theksmith
2003 WJ 

so really bummed right now as my JK axles are all done but i have horrible vibes that the shop can't seem to get rid of.

before i had some vibes at 75 and bad at 80+. now i have bad vibes at 65 and the jeep is unusable at 75. someone already pointed out that this is probably because i changed to lower gears during the swap, so the driveshafts are spinning faster sooner.

the shop has tried pointing the darn pinion all over the place and the vibes don't go away. they are actually worse when the pinion is at the textbook angle pointing directly at the t-case or a degree under. so far it's at it's best pointing even further down than you would expect.

i'm at a loss. someone recomended going to a double double-cardan shaft, but not sure if there are drawbacks there and it just seems like there must be something that is the "root problem" here. another person suggested double checking the output bearing on the t-case which i will do. shop said get a free-spin hub conversion, but they are only made by one company and require tons of expense and work since you have to change bolt patterns. any other thoughts?
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #815
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

What driveshaft are you running now? Just a single u joint shaft? I would assume it would be the ds.. if you got the double cardan, i would think they would disappear?

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #816
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Sounds a lot like how my TC is acting with my 4.10's.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #817
justanotherjpr

If you have single joint shafts the double cardan has no draw backs and will fix you right up.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #818
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I think he already has a DC DS F&R - am I correct? What "people" were suggesting is a DC at both ends of the DS. You shouldn't have to do that.

1) If you have a vibration with your old setup, you were wearing on your u-joints. They might be due for a repair.
2) Try removing the F&R drive shafts (individually of course) and see if you can isolate where it is coming from.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #819
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

I did have some vibs when I first did the swap, well still do but it isn't bad .. with my front DS disconnected , I still got vibs and it added major DW... So I am going to have them rebalanced my DS before GSW

but I would try what arlo said.
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #820
theksmith
2003 WJ 

the driveshafts are both brand new double-cardan 1350s done at same time as swap. i should have posted this the first time - but when the front is removed, there is aboslutely NO vibes - so yes we have the issue somewhat isolated.

the old setup that had some vibes was with double-cardan 1310s, again they were done brand new at the time of my first axle swap, and also removing the front would make it drive with no vibes then too. i had the front re-balanced TWICE to make sure that wasn't the problem, then gave up.

if anything, i would have expected my vibes to go away due to the new axles being hi-pinion and therefore having less angle on the front shaft.

since nearly everything (both driveshafts and both axles, gears, etc) has changed twice now except the t-case - i'm leaning towards there being a t-case front output issue. it is a used 242HD with like ~50k miles on it. other than output bearing, what inside the case could affect the front only? can the output shaft be bent, how likely would that be really? are there certain internals that i could have put back together wrong when i did the SYE?

and arlo is correct - the one suggestion was to put in a double-double-cardan in the front. but i feel like this would be just fixing a symptom and not the root cause.
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #821
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Your drive shafts are interchangeable aren't they? Try swapping them around. That'll eliminate the DS as the culprit.
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #822
ReconZJ

1997 ZJ 

OK, I'll throw in my $.02 here, with the caveat that I'm only attempting to resolve any doubts you have about what you already know. It seems you've systematically and logically isolated the problem area. So with that said, here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
the driveshafts are both brand new double-cardan 1350s done at same time as swap. i should have posted this the first time - but when the front is removed, there is aboslutely NO vibes - so yes we have the issue somewhat isolated.
I agree that you've isolated where area the problem lies.

Quote:
the old setup that had some vibes was with double-cardan 1310s, again they were done brand new at the time of my first axle swap, and also removing the front would make it drive with no vibes then too. i had the front re-balanced TWICE to make sure that wasn't the problem, then gave up.
OK, you had this problem with your former axle setup, and with the front ds removed, didn't have the problem. That seems to confirm your first point above. Also, assuming you had a reputable shop do your driveshaft work, I wouldn't think ds balance is the problem. And I believe you most likely did source a reputable shop do this work, after reading all your posts on your build. So again, my guess is that this is not the problem area.

Quote:
if anything, i would have expected my vibes to go away due to the new axles being hi-pinion and therefore having less angle on the front shaft.
I agree, but since you did have a vibration problem with your old setup, and you've now corrected (or changed) your driveline angels, it now appears that driveline angles weren't the real problem. Of course, you wouldn't know that until you got to this point, with new axle assemblies and corrected (lessened) angles.

Quote:
since nearly everything (both driveshafts and both axles, gears, etc) has changed twice now except the t-case - i'm leaning towards there being a t-case front output issue. it is a used 242HD with like ~50k miles on it. other than output bearing, what inside the case could affect the front only? can the output shaft be bent, how likely would that be really? are there certain internals that i could have put back together wrong when i did the SYE?
Well, I haven't broken into a tc, so I can't directly give any input from that perspective. However, based on the above history and the things you've already done to troubleshoot this problem, I'd say that there was something wrong with that tc as a component in your old setup, and the problem was not related to driveline angles. Was there something wrong before you swapped the SYE? I think that's the probably source of the problem, and that's where I'd start checking. Did you put it back together incorrectly when you did the SYE swap? Well, I suppose that's possible too, but that would only have exacerbated an existing problem. That's where I'd begin - pull the tc, dissassemble and inspect the internals, starting with the front output shaft.

Quote:
and arlo is correct - the one suggestion was to put in a double-double-cardan in the front. but i feel like this would be just fixing a symptom and not the root cause.
Definitely agree with this - although, Arlo's suggestion may work, I think you really want to figure out what the root problem is, not cover it up with a "work around".
'72 240Z - in storage, needs everything
'02 S10 Xtreme - for sale soon
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #823
patrick983
2000 WJ 

have you measured the angle at the t case end? ill tell you this in hopes to help: when i put my winch/bumper on the nose of my jeep sunk almost an inch, which pointed my tcase more toward the axle. im almost vibe free. im making a spacer for the t-case crossmember mount to raise it 1/4 in, to further help the angle put on the dble cardan at the transfer case. ill also tell you when i replaced the u joints in my shaft they showed no play, but it helped the vibes greatly. i was desperate as i just had to start dd'ing my wj on the highway. now i dont really get any vibes, very very minor at ~55 but goes away
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #824
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

You can also remove the front drive shaft and spin both the output shaft and the pinion and check for a wobble in there. If you had a runout gauge that would be best.
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #825
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

Worst case scenario take the front DS out drive to moab the put it back in when you get there wont take you too long to pull it out and put back in. Once your there you wont be going 60+MPH so you'll be vibe free

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.