front has some work done and was able to salvage even more of the IRO front bracketry than i anticipated.
rear should be finished this afternoon. an issue came up with the lower control arm brackets from the IRO kit were designed to be mounted flush with the bottom of the axle. this didn't work with the clayton arms i have. either IRO arms are shorter or have more adjustability or something. this was the only major hiccup so far, had to use some other tabs the fabber happened to have and do a little modding on them to make it all work. so they aren't completely flush on the tube bottom, but they supposedly don't hang down as far as stock either.
the biggest open-item still is the front axle-side track-bar bracket. the fabber could get one of the universal ones from poly performance or he has autocad and a company in the same business park water-jets stuff for him, so he may just design his own bracket.
then of course the real issues won't come up till he takes it out and flexes it on the forklift and looks at everything!
I ordered my RCV shafts a couple of days ago, hopefully they'll be here sometime next week; I've also thought about the dynatrac's BJs, but the $600 pricetag is hard to swallow for just BJs; also I know there can be some fitment issues with the RVC boots..... so I may let you be the guinea pig on that one.
I have a favor to ask of you, if you could, can you take pictures of the E-brake set-up once you get your rig back?
Can't wait to see your Rubi-Grand .
2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
i think this was from yesterday because i talked to them today at lunch and the back was completely done and most of the front, was expecting to have it at the 95% mark tonight and then Chris (fabber) is gone tomorrow but Joe is going to get the yokes setup and driveshafts modified and get it moveable. then monday they'll be doing some test drives and forklift flexing etc.
Hey, as it says in my sig, "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..." Is one of your mods a Flux Capacitor?
How's the unibody looking so far?
unibody, meh. i noticed the other day the very ends of a couple smaller welds on the clayton bracketry starting to crack, so there is flex going on and therefore fatigue and so it won't last forever i know. but it's not creaky and none of the factory seams are separating that i've found yet. supposedly WJ unibody a little stiffer than ZJ, so that probably helps. as far as looks, there's spray paint on the back of both sides near rear wheel-wells, one side is smooth (bondoed), the other side has some wavies in it from the last boulder encounter... got tired of doing bondo over and over. overall pretty good for it's use level. might put some heavy plating on that rear quarterpanel area near wheel-well one day so it can lean into rocks without ripping up the metal so bad.
I've been dreaming of doing this swap for some time and can't wait to see the finished product.
thanks, if you look at my first post in this thread its from feb 2008 and i was just getting lift parts, and i said "or who knows... maybe new JK axles all around one day" - lol, 3 years later, here we are!