My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #46
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

i lifted mine higher than that write up, so i had to cut a section of the frame rail and re-enforce it in a half moon dip.

I can take pictures and send them to you if you PM me an email addy

IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #47
theksmith
2003 WJ 

installing IRO rear bump-stop extensions

i did this a while back, thought i would post a mini write-up for anyone that might be planning to do it.

make sure you use jackstands and do everything safely and don't blame me if anything goes wrong...

first, disconnect one link of the rear sway-bar (if you have one still), this makes it easier to articulate the axle with the jack.

use spring compressors to squeeze the coil down enough that you can get it off the bump-stop. i used the jack to first squeeze the coil a lot, so i didnt' have to run the spring compressors down manually except the last few turns, then let the jack back down.

pray that the cheap harbor freight spring compressors don't break. lay the coil out of the way, never let it point at your body/head.

spring's out.

drill as straight as you can up into the bump-stop hit plate. i used a 27/64" bit, worked for me. thre is a dimple in the center of the plate already, so the drill will self-center. i bought a cheap right-angle ryobi drill since i already had some other ryobi tools/batteries/chargers. the metal is fairly thin and will drill fast. the right-angle drill comes in handy for other things like mounting rock-rails.

tap the hole using a 7/16" - 14 (coarse) tap. again i just used a cheap harbor frieght tap & die set, but it worked fine for this. just remember that the tap's are hardened and therefore brittle, so don't put any side stress on them. if you brake it off in there, you will have a hell of a time drilling it out. move in a few threads at a time, then back out a couple turns and then back in.

here is the IRO bump-stop extension, i put the mounting bolt inside it, then taped over the end to keep the bolt from falling out as i dropped the whole package into the coil later.

here is the coil back on the perch, with the extension and mounting bolt dropped into the spring. i went ahead and put some threadlock on the threads of the bolt just before i dropped all this back in. the allen wrench needed is a 3/8".

again i used the jack to squeeze the coil and take most pressure off the spring compressors. loosen the last little bit of tension from the compressors, then remove them.

let the jack and axle down as far as you can, so that there is a large amount of space between each coil turn. then you can get your fingers into the coil enough to turn the extension and bolt to get it started. then you may have to raise the axle just a little to find a good point at which your allen wrench will fit between a space in the coil. tighten it up good!

rinse and repeat for the other side, put your sway-bar link back on, wheels/tires, and you're done.

Last edited by theksmith; 09-08-2008 at 03:43 PM..
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #48
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Ok, I have got to know, what wheels are those, they are beautiful!
NewJeepFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #49
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeepFever View Post
Ok, I have got to know, what wheels are those, they are beautiful!
thanks, 17"x8" eagle alloy 140's
Unread 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #50
theksmith
2003 WJ 

custom exhaust to work with claytons arms

ok, so i finally got my exhuast finished. i know everyone has a different take on how to accomplish an exhaust with the clayton long arms, so here's mine:

I used the following parts...
(1) 2.5" ring clamp
(1) 2.5" ID to 3" OD adapter/reducer
(1) Magnaflow high flow 3" converter
(1) Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow muffler (3" center inlet, offset outlet)
(1) 3" ring clamp
(1) 3" mandrel bent turn-down
(1) muffler hanger from ebay:

(2) self-tapping bolts
(1) can high-temp ceramic header paint

i had to trim every piece down 1/2" to 1" to make it all fit. used a dremel to notch the adapter inlet to match the original pipe, bent the hanger with a hammer and vice, then just took it all too a guy to weld it up clean for me, painted it with header paint, then i clamped and bolted it down.

these are the type of quality ring clamps i used, they make a tight, even, crimp on the fittings (instead of crappy u-bolt clamps):

i clamped instead of welding the final turn-down in case i have any problem with emmisions and have to temporarily run a flex tube out to the back of the truck to pass.

Last edited by theksmith; 09-07-2008 at 08:37 PM..
Unread 09-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #51
WJChris

1999 WJ 

found it........

( I was asking about the gas tank lift thread.. heh sorry.)

Last edited by WJChris; 09-05-2008 at 02:41 PM..
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #52
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
found it........
??...........
Unread 09-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #53
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done ksmith .
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #54
theksmith
2003 WJ 

just updating the thread with a link to my "removable rear seat bottom" thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/30-minutes-more-cargo-room-wj-608241/

should have some other updates soon, ordered everything to do the cb antenna install, and ordered LED replacement bulbs for the entire interior. also went wheeling and shot out a front spring, so ordered a couple more goodies from IRO to keep that in check.
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #55
theksmith
2003 WJ 

a little more test wheeling and lost a spring again, here's the video... http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=43426923

parts on the way from IRO already, spring hold-downs and retainers:

Unread 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #56
theksmith
2003 WJ 

well it's not a mod, but this gives me more money for WJ mods... and it's my thread, so i'll post a goodbye to my XJ that sold friday... Farewell old reliable!:

Unread 10-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #57
theksmith
2003 WJ 

finally got my brake hose issue resolved this past week, i had parkerstorephx.com make me some longer fronts, went steel braided as it only added like 10 bucks:

the rear was fine on length, but i had them do a new one as long as i was at it:

changing anyting to do with brakes is a messy PITA!
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #58
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i don't think i've posted a pic since i put on the JKS supernerfs a while back:

only downside is they make the jeep look lower!
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #59
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Looking good
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #60
theksmith
2003 WJ 

and here's a closeup of the new grille:

i purchased some raw material from grilleguy.com, then fabbed it up. kinda a pain in the *** to install, and we'll see if it holds. let me know what you think, i like it better than stock at least.. not sure if i'll keep it long term or try something else.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.