My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #511
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #512
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaghimself View Post
Dunno if you're in the market for wheels or not, but its just an idea.. would maybe some faux-beadlocks get rid of your valve stem issue? I have Mickey Thompson classic locks, and I've never beat on them in rocks, but the stem is tucked away pretty well behind the ring.
i ran sunday and ended up raking the wheels several times hard against rock ledges without incident, so it's really kindof a random event.

but yeah, some fake or real beadlocks would do tha trick. however, i've got too many other things sucking money right now.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #513
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
ha, sorry nothing new to entertain, till IRO SHIPS MY JUNK!
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #514
theksmith
2003 WJ 

for anyone else doing the JK axle swap and not re-using bracketry or fabbing thier own...

I talked to Clayton before going with IRO. He has had a rear kit for a while, but the front kit is still "under development". basicly he said they put the new front kit on someones ride and then that person is having a noise and they *think* that maybe having the lower control arm mounts flush on the axle moved them too close to the frame under full flex and that they are hitting, but the guy hasn't had time to get into the shop again so that they can figure out the exact issue... as soon as that's resolved, the front kit will be for sale.

i figured IRO has already done this whole swap several times and has the bugs mostly worked out, so i went with their kit. however, i will have to have some custom fab done to the kit because it is designed for their 3-link front, should be fairly easy. I also liked that their front included a full truss, which i don't think the Clayton kit does.
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #515
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
ha, sorry nothing new to entertain, till IRO SHIPS MY JUNK!
it's like the pre-game show. You have to have your ready so you don't miss kick-off!!
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #516
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Unread 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #517
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hell yeah man! Is that the "Kit B" on their site? If so, I might need to look into a d44 swap..

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #518
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Hell yeah man! Is that the "Kit B" on their site? If so, I might need to look into a d44 swap..
yes it is!

they accidentally sent 2 driver-side rear coil buckets and also missing trackbar mount, but pretty soon, just maybe, we'll almost get going on this!
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #519
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

Dang, gonna need some new undies...
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
HaViiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #520
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

So what are you pulling the 44's out of? I am already interested in replacing my rear 44a with a 44. If you could, can you list everything you are doing to the rear end to make it a swap? I know that if I got IRO's kit, id be covered for that part, but im more worried about the year of ford or whatever you got it out of, and what your doing for ABS and the tone rings..

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #521
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

very nice !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
So what are you pulling the 44's out of? I am already interested in replacing my rear 44a with a 44. If you could, can you list everything you are doing to the rear end to make it a swap? I know that if I got IRO's kit, id be covered for that part, but im more worried about the year of ford or whatever you got it out of, and what your doing for ABS and the tone rings..
I think he is using JK D44's....Like me :P
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #522
mattilacken
2007 WK 

Wow. Awesome build! Yours is one of manny threads i have to follow! When I get me a new one it wont be as extreme (due to no good offroad possibilities) so i like to follow the ones that have the need of a flat out build!
Unread 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #523
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh ok, so will the IRO truss kit work on only jk44's or can I pull one from a waggy and weld it on there?

Unread 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #524
theksmith
2003 WJ 

yeah, this is for some JK Rubi 44's I bought back in spring.

I don't know if this kit would be ideal for use on any other axle, it seems pretty specific to the JK. You might be better off using the Clayton rear bracketry & truss, seems more "universal". you would then still need to figure out e-brakes & speedo/ABS for you specific axle. i believe tom woods can make a SYE kit for nearly anything, even the 242HD now that will have a speedo output so you don't have to use the tone rings, but you loose ABS.

overall I think the JK Rubi axles are a good deal for us even though they are priced a little high. i mean they are much stronger than what we have, good lockers, captive bearings, only slightly wider, same bolt pattern, working tone rings, easy e-brake setup, front/rear discs, and tons of aftermarket to make even stronger. i got flamed for saying that on Mallcrawling... the general consensus there seems to be that if you're going to bother swapping axles you need to be going to 60's or Sterlings and that JK's are overpriced weeklings.
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #525
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
yeah, this is for some JK Rubi 44's I bought back in spring.

I don't know if this kit would be ideal for use on any other axle, it seems pretty specific to the JK. You might be better off using the Clayton rear bracketry & truss, seems more "universal". you would then still need to figure out e-brakes & speedo/ABS for you specific axle. i believe tom woods can make a SYE kit for nearly anything, even the 242HD now that will have a speedo output so you don't have to use the tone rings, but you loose ABS.

overall I think the JK Rubi axles are a good deal for us even though they are priced a little high. i mean they are much stronger than what we have, good lockers, captive bearings, only slightly wider, same bolt pattern, working tone rings, easy e-brake setup, front/rear discs, and tons of aftermarket to make even stronger. i got flamed for saying that on Mallcrawling... the general consensus there seems to be that if you're going to bother swapping axles you need to be going to 60's or Sterlings and that JK's are overpriced weeklings.

I think there is some truth to both sides of that argument. For most mallcrawlin builds JK axles are a waste of time and money - but your build is atypical for that site. From the wheeling you do I think the JK axles will fit nicely
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.