My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #31
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-WJ View Post
Looking swaeeet so far

Now slap a rear addco HD sway bar, best $200.00 spent on any mod.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget the energy greasable bushings.
thanks! i had thought about and addco becuase it is a daily driver and i would like more stability, but how much does it end up limiting your flex off-road?

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #32
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
thanks! i had thought about and addco becuase it is a daily driver and i would like more stability, but how much does it end up limiting your flex off-road?
It sure limits your flex, but the onroad handling is SOOOO much better I do not regret it. I have been thinking of a way of disconnecting the rear sway when offroad, but have not come around to doing it yet, I'm sure there's a way; the alternative is simply slapping the stocker for a planned wheeling trip.
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #33
MDZJ88
1997 ZJ 

Nice Rig! This is what I plan to do with my next ZJ (that I just got today)! Xxxpedition.com is an awesome site/blog BTW, though I'm sure you've probably seen it!
MDZJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #34
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZJ88 View Post
Nice Rig! This is what I plan to do with my next ZJ (that I just got today)! Xxxpedition.com is an awesome site/blog BTW, though I'm sure you've probably seen it!
somehow i've never run across that before, thanks for the link!!
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #35
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-WJ View Post
It sure limits your flex, but the onroad handling is SOOOO much better I do not regret it. I have been thinking of a way of disconnecting the rear sway when offroad, but have not come around to doing it yet, I'm sure there's a way; the alternative is simply slapping the stocker for a planned wheeling trip.
if i ever end up doing the mod where you cut-out the spare tire well and then raise the tank, then i think it would free up enough room that you could move to a sway bar mounted up at the frame instead of axle (maybe from an XJ or TJ). then fab up link mounts on the axle, and use standard jks disconnects. at this point you could disconnect and support the bar/links at the frame the same way the front does... one of those ideas that i'll probably never get around to actually trying!
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
Shelbyzz
1997 ZJ 

any pictures?
Shelbyzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #37
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbyzz View Post
any pictures?
of what ?
Unread 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #38
ajmorell

Quote:
i'll let you know after i've had them offroad and for more than a few days!

the seem LOUD... i don't think any louder than any other MT, probably actually better than many, but i have always only had AT's (nitto tera-graplers'), so i'm used to quiet! but farkit, they look sweeeeeet!
The KM2s are great. I am running them too. They are A LOT quieter than my old Trxus MTs. I haven't really wheeled on them yet to comment on their performance off-road but I suspect they will be sweet on the rocks!
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #39
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Crazy rig! Nice work.
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #40
IronManVa
SandSurfer

Quote:
they do limit flex but IMO they work as good as bump stops... I have had no real issues with the flex but I have them front and rear and love what they do for the handling!!
www.jeeporvis.com ... www.jeepartist.com ... www.kmaoffroad.org Virginia Beach ... www.obxbreakers.comOff season Jeeper Deals
IronManVa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #41
theksmith
2003 WJ 

trans mount bolts with clayton crossmember issues

while under the jeep i noticed that the bolt heads for the bolts holding the trans mount to the crossmember hung down - and that just didn't seem right.

i took one out and sure enough, you could see how clayton designed the crossmember for the bolts to recess inside the crossmember, but apparently the bolts on my year had larger attached washers than were expected. the shop that did my clayton install should have noticed this as the washers were caving into the crossmember holes and if you tightened the bolts, the more they just caved into the holes.

here's a pic of how it was (one bolt removed already):

and here's a pic showing the OEM bolt on the right, and the ones I replaced them with on the left:

this fixed a slight CLUNK i had when going from acceleration to coast and vise versa.
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #42
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Wow, sketchy job that shop did. Especially since the Claytons kit comes with new bolts for the crossmember.
Unread 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #43
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

Quote:
if i ever end up doing the mod where you cut-out the spare tire well and then raise the tank, then i think it would free up enough room that you could move to a sway bar mounted up at the frame instead of axle (maybe from an XJ or TJ). then fab up link mounts on the axle, and use standard jks disconnects. at this point you could disconnect and support the bar/links at the frame the same way the front does... one of those ideas that i'll probably never get around to actually trying!

the gas tank mod is not hard at all. i am still trying to figure out the sealing up issue with a better more semi permenant solution.

The easy solution is to take just one side of the sway bar loose. I unhook the rear passanger lower side and its like there is no rear sway bar at all. it takes me 2 sec at the trail head.
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #44
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLuxury View Post
the gas tank mod is not hard at all. i am still trying to figure out the sealing up issue with a better more semi permenant solution.
do you know of any good writeup's for the gas-tank lift? i saw one over on mallcrawlin, but the main thing it didn't address is my biggest question... how do you re-route the filler tube and breather? it looks like you have to notch and re-weld the frame rails? thanks
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #45
Pitch
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
do you know of any good writeup's for the gas-tank lift? i saw one over on mallcrawlin, but the main thing it didn't address is my biggest question... how do you re-route the filler tube and breather? it looks like you have to notch and re-weld the frame rails? thanks
I don't have a writeup, but a 3" hole saw (or plasma cutter) through the frame rail did the trick for me. Then, find an appropriately sized length and diameter of exhaust tubing, insert it and weld in place. Run the filler and breather tube through the new sleeve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.