My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #166
nelson1248
2002 WJ 

what is the difference from that and a CB? why not run either or instead of both? what is a ham used for anyways? is it better thatn having a CB if so why not ditch the CB and stick to the ham?

sorry for all the questions just trying to understand what i dont know!

Unread 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #167
theksmith
2003 WJ 

hey no problem,

well the world of ham can get complicated, but it basicly boils down to many people don't have ham radios because you have to take a little test and get a license or because they just don't know about them or because they can be more expensive... so you pretty much have to keep your cb to talk to the average guy on a club run.

they are better than cb for so many reasons, better sound quality, much more power means talking longer distances, with the right setup you can talk around the world! there are even auto-patches in some locations that will let you tie into the phone lines and make phone calls from the radio!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #168
nelson1248
2002 WJ 

wow sound like quite some steroids for a radio!

well i been looking into getting a cobra 75 any details on this CB?
cons and pros on this?

is it mandatory that you get a license to work a ham or could you operate it with out a license? what are the consequences of operating a ham with out a license?
is there any? or is the license just pretty much like a i know how to use a ham kinda deal?
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #169
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The FCC comes and tracks you down...then they arrest you.

So no, you can't operate one w/o a license. You can monitor ham frequencies w/o a license though.
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #170
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1248 View Post
...well i been looking into getting a cobra 75 any details on this CB?
cons and pros on this?...
the correct install of good wiring and good antenna willl make more difference than anything else including how expensive the cb itself is. readup on firestik.com about antennas, wiring, ground planes, etc.

if space is an issue the Cobra 75 WXST is certainly your best bet. I know several people in local clubs with them and they work great.

i personally have a Midland 75-822 and it has been a great compact radio for me. i originally bought it becuase it worked as a handheld as well as vehicle mount, this allowed me to use it even before i had a real antenna.

the only reason i would recommend the Cobra over the Midland is that the Cobra has an external speaker connection on it's base. otherwise, the Midland is a more flexible and IMO better looking unit.

and with that, i'm getting in the jeep and headed west now... peace!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #171
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Freak View Post
How about this? I had DW after my lift, so my mechanic threw on a Rancho stabilizer when he was doing the realignment for me, which didn't stop the DW. I swapped it for Kevin's Hard-KOR stabilizer, but I still had DW on a highway on my way to work, in the exact same spot every day, when I was going over 60 mph. Now, this was before I got my M/Ts, so my Revos were probably fairly out of balance, but I decided to use the Rancho stabilizer I was going to return, as a secondary and fabricate my own mounting brackets. Here's the result:

I got all of the parts for less than $30 at Lowe's. This set-up is amazingly sturdy. It's made up of all grade 8 steel. I always check it before, during and after 'wheeling to make sure it doesn't loosen up or shift. It hasn't budged since I installed it almost a year ago and have been 100% DW-free. I have a full write-up on the install, if you need it.
Nice I would really like to know how you did that !!! great job man
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #172
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
Nice! I would really like to know how you did that !!! great job man
Thanks! Well, here goes...

This may sound a bit strange, but I went to Lowe's, looking for some kind of clamp and wound up getting 2 pipe clamps that you'd use to seal holes in pipes. They're flexible but strong, combining metal and brass with a rubber inner lining, which wound up gripping the tie rod and track bar very well. I felt they'd be plenty strong for the task of stabilizing with the Rancho. The beauty of them is that they'll fit any size track bar. I then found some grade 8 bolts that fit and were long enough to close up the ends of each bracket and connect the Rancho. Make sure your stabilizer has sleeves at each end. They may be too big for the bolts, in which case you'll need additional smaller diameter sleeves to go in each end. You may have to tap them into place. I then got about a dozen large washers, 4 lock washers and a few grade 8 nuts with the locking plastic inner lining.

Mounting was a little tricky, keeping the clamps tight while I tightened each of the stabilizer ends. The trick I found was using enough large washers, which fit perfectly into the two prongs on either side of the clamps. I stacked 2 on either side of each clamp and 1 on each side of the stabilizer mount ends (so 2 per end). Here's the order for each mount: bolt, 2 washers, clamp, clamp, 2 washers, washer, stabilizer end, washer, lock washer, nut. The bolts you get should be long enough for at least an inch of extension after everything is tightened up. I believe I got 6" bolts.

For positioning, see my photos and/or the photos on Kevin's site where he shows his dual setup. Here's a link to my thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=433984&page=2

That's about it. Let me know if you have more questions or want some additional pics.

I had actually thought about putting a kit together and selling it to guys here. If I did, I'd make some illustrated instructions too. Do you think $60 shipped would be a fair price?

Thanks,

Todd
!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr
WJ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #173
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Freak View Post
I got all of the parts for less than $30 at Lowe's. This set-up is amazingly sturdy. It's made up of all grade 8 steel. I always check it before, during and after 'wheeling to make sure it doesn't loosen up or shift. It hasn't budged since I installed it almost a year ago and have been 100% DW-free. I have a full write-up on the install, if you need it.
hey WJ FREAK, i'm also very interested in your parts list and write up. i do have the rancho SS as well, but because my mounts are all bents, it seems like my steering stabilizer is not really working the way it should be. looking forward to your follow up pics!
Unread 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #174
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Nice rig!

Quick question though. Your headlights look a little different, did you remove the yellow reflectors on the sides and bottom. ?
malibubts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #175
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

They're clear ones, you can get em off ebay, I've got them too.
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #176
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Have you ran into a cop related issues with them because the signals aren't yellow?
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #177
SET2JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
Have you ran into a cop related issues with them because the signals aren't yellow?
just use amber bulbs instead of clear
SET2JET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #178
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

The bulbs are the legal amber, but you don't need the amber reflectors. And I'm in Ohio a lot, and don't have any issues.
USN Jeep Club #115
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #179
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Alright. Thanks for the info. I really like that look that taking those reflectors out gives, plus my housings are filled with junk and could be replaced.
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #180
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

You can either take em apart, or go on ebay and score you a set. I don't think if you take them apart that you can get the amber in the upper edge out, but I'm not 100% sure on this.
USN Jeep Club #115

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.