My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #151
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

yeah I need to install mine ...how do u like it so far ?

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #152
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
yeah I need to install mine ...how do u like it so far ?
i first installed the IRO one becuase i had a minor shimmy at certain speeds, it seemed to fix that problem. when i took off the stock one, it moved very freely, so i think it was in fact worn out.

then when i destroyed the IRO one on a boulder, i also barely bent my tie-rod at the same time. on the ride home, without any SS anymore, i had no shimmy or wandering, and barely any bump-steer (only when hitting huge pot-holes). i can only conclude that my toe needed to come in about a 1/16 of an inch to have my alignment be just plain perfect (thanks boulder)!

after a couple weeks with no SS, i went ahead and bought a new one from NAPA this weekend, i was willing to pay the few extra bucks since i had time to work on the heep right then. put it on up high and now even that bump-steer under huge pot-hole conditions is gone.

overall can't complain with the tenneco! i hear the rancho HD one is even beefier... can't confirm though.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #153
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep39 View Post
i noticed your rear shocks are mounted upside down, or at least different than mine with the stainless steel rod piece on the bottom. Does this help or gain a benefit? or did i just install mine wrong??
monotube shocks can be mounted either direction, most people mount them piston-down which i can only guess has to do with keeping unsprung weight reduced (not that they weigh enough to matter much), and keeping from denting the shock body... maybe someone can enlighten as to other reasons to mount them that direction?

classic twin-tube shocks can only be mounted one direction, which i believe is piston-up. please someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #154
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

Quick question where can i get some end-clamps ? Since my original SS is still good im going to use my tennco for a dual SS .
Thanks
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:30 AM   #155
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Quick question where can i get some end-clamps ? Since my original SS is still good im going to use my tennco for a dual SS .
Thanks
well if you don't have an old drag-link or tie-rod laying around, i don't know - other than the junk yard. junk yard will probably just give them away. i don't think KevinsOffroad will sell just those parts, he wants you to get the new SS at the same time.

you might look around on summitracing for some sort of universal stabilizer/dampner u-bolt style mounting system?
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #156
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

humm I will try the junk yard .. thanks man keep up the good build
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #157
theksmith
2003 WJ 

just finished packing the cooler, jeeps all ready to go, leaving for Anza-Borrego in the morning, be back Sunday night.. woo hoo!

Unread 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #158
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Have fun in the squeeze
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #159
merkur92
2002 WJ 

I hope we fit through it,you should go to cariboulouwj.
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #160
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks
How about this? I had DW after my lift, so my mechanic threw on a Rancho stabilizer when he was doing the realignment for me, which didn't stop the DW. I swapped it for Kevin's Hard-KOR stabilizer, but I still had DW on a highway on my way to work, in the exact same spot every day, when I was going over 60 mph. Now, this was before I got my M/Ts, so my Revos were probably fairly out of balance, but I decided to use the Rancho stabilizer I was going to return, as a secondary and fabricate my own mounting brackets. Here's the result:

I got all of the parts for less than $30 at Lowe's. This set-up is amazingly sturdy. It's made up of all grade 8 steel. I always check it before, during and after 'wheeling to make sure it doesn't loosen up or shift. It hasn't budged since I installed it almost a year ago and have been 100% DW-free. I have a full write-up on the install, if you need it.
!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr
WJ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #161
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

Feel free to post a link to that write-up. Or even PM me.
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #162
nelson1248
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
just finished packing the cooler, jeeps all ready to go, leaving for Anza-Borrego in the morning, be back Sunday night.. woo hoo!

have fun and good luck man...

but one question?
looks like you have second mount for some sort of antenna on your left tail light am i correct???
if so what is that connected to???
if im not mistaking the one on the right tail light is for your CB right?
why do you have 2?
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #163
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1248 View Post
have fun and good luck man...

but one question?
looks like you have second mount for some sort of antenna on your left tail light am i correct???
if so what is that connected to???
if im not mistaking the one on the right tail light is for your CB right?
why do you have 2?
thanks man!

the right one is for cb yes, the left one is for ham... i don't have a ham yet still, but when i was doing the cb, i figured i would go ahead and run wire and do everything for the ham at the same time.... see post #81 for details
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #164
nelson1248
2002 WJ 

what is a ham?
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #165
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1248 View Post
what is a ham?
Ameture Radio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

basicly CB on super-steriods!

i'll probably go with something like this: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.