My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #91
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
Sure I could do that. The 35 shafts are not compatible in the 44 if thats what you want to know
yeah that is what i was going for.

how much would you want for them?

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #92
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Well just filled the damn thing and remembered why i drive the truck everywhere. That thirsty ***** just downed a tank of premium in 290 km, for you Americans that's 7 mpg!!!!!!!!

I have a bit of time tomorrow so I am going to replace the up stream o2 again, maybe after my fuel injector failure when fire was coming out the tail pipe it killed it. I'll also stick my see snake down the o2 bung to make sure I didn't melt my CAT or something like that, I know I melted a bit of the pack in my muffler cause it's considerably louder than it used to be.

I'll also go ahead and replace the MAP sensor since its about the only sensor I haven't replaced.

And might as well put some royal purple back in, last oil change was just at the ford dealer ship in Florence OR after the dunes 5000 miles ago just Dino 5w20. And it's already a chilly 30 out.

And for those of you who know what my jeep looks like, should I get my stock ninner wheels powder-coated black or deep slate if possible, or just leave them?

Figured this is the best time to do it,
Last night I pulled all the tires off and cleaned them up.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #93
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I was still contemplating the purchase of the local 5.9 for sale here. But it needs some work, I can tell. I'd have to swap a lot of parts over. I'd been looking at the mpg and trying to weigh the pros, it can actually get out of its own way, vs the cons, it requires premium and eats gas like candy! This kind of helps me remain practical. I average 17-18mpg on journeys to the mountains and back, over hundreds of miles, loaded with camping gear. I know that's nowhere near possible with the 5.9. I can run regular fuel, too.

So when did I miss this mishap with the fire coming out the exhaust? O.o

I think that your Jeep looks good with the wheels as they are... You don't normally run the Ultrastars though, do you?

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #94
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Wanna grab me a winch while you're down there?

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #95
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I was still contemplating the purchase of the local 5.9 for sale here. But it needs some work, I can tell. I'd have to swap a lot of parts over. I'd been looking at the mpg and trying to weigh the pros, it can actually get out of its own way, vs the cons, it requires premium and eats gas like candy! This kind of helps me remain practical. I average 17-18mpg on journeys to the mountains and back, over hundreds of miles, loaded with camping gear. I know that's nowhere near possible with the 5.9. I can run regular fuel, too.

So when did I miss this mishap with the fire coming out the exhaust? O.o

I think that your Jeep looks good with the wheels as they are... You don't normally run the Ultrastars though, do you?

I think there i something pretty wrong with mine right now, but the best i over got was 14 or 15 on the highway. i do have a superchips so i can run regular which has just as much power if not more, but it uses allot more gas, so i might as well run 91. I have the 5.2 also, and i got about the same milage in the city, but i could 18-20 on the highway on my old 32'' bfg ats.

I mean its hard to pass up a 5.9, but if its not mint i'd move on, especially when your getting 18mpg. not going to lie, 5.9's are pretty over rated, sure with a bit of work they have **** tones of power, but they are so crude and inefficient. someday soon i'd love to put an LS in it.

I have been looking at Diesel WK's and KJ's for a DD, i don't know too many decisions, also been thinking about lifting a last gen tahoe.

It was this summer in moab, i had ford bosch fuel injectors and #7 separated, dumping fuel in by the gallons, and then once it cooled it hydrolocked the motor, long story, not much fun. but when the motor was still hot, it ran a bit, and raw fuel was dripping out the exhaust and catching on fire at the back, cat was glowing too, #7 header tube was also glowing after it burnt off the wrap. ended up catching the engine bay on fire out side the napa, luckily i put it out before it caused any real damage. just yelled at my sister to grab the passports my wallet and my phone, the rest could be replaced.

Nope normally run those black 18'' boss 5 spokes, but i am using the stockers for winter rims, just don't know if i want them black or not.
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #96
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Wanna grab me a winch while you're down there?

Probably could, which one were ya thinking of?
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #97
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I hate the rough, crudeness of the 4.0 sometimes as well. The 42RE is vexing, but it's not failed me yet. It shifts the same as it did 30k miles ago when I got the Jeep. Of course, other than adjusting the bands(which hasn't been done) it's had good servicing since I've owned it. The larger tire size doesn't help. I imagine if I had 225's, which is the stock tire size, I believe, it'd get 20+ mpg average. With 235s and stock suspension, I easily netted 19-20mpg average on trips. But the engine has no extra headroom. The added weight and higher COG along with the larger diameter tires just kills it. The blasted climate control loses the vacuum all the time when under load, defaulting to defrost, and I've got a full tune-up in the last year. I've also got a secondary vacuum reserve for the climate control alone. It helps...a little. I imagine the 4.0 had 185 hp when new. Now it's probably 125. LOL It just feels weak. Wimpy. So a 5.9 is appealing. I've poured so much into this Jeep that it'd be starting over, and just to have a slightly nicer, one year newer, Grand Cherokee? With the lsd rear end with the 44a? I can't see doing it.

The diesel KJ is just...I can't bring myself to get something with so many quality control issues. The WK is far better, but they only really get 22-24mpg highway, from what I can tell. And the upkeep is a LOT more. The oil changes alone will set you back hundreds. They also had some kinks to get worked out, and I don't think Jeep was using the 3.0 for long enough to get them dealt with themselves. It's for the enthusiast to manage, I suppose. Not that I wouldn't love to own one. I just don't think I could afford it. As for a Tahoe, I know they had a lot of issues with transmissions once upon a time, but I've never been enough of a Chevy guy to really be in the know.

I had no idea you'd gone through that whole fire catastrophe! Thank God no one was hurt. And the Jeep survived without any major damage? How the heck did it get that messed up? I've never heard of something like that before!

Unread 11-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #98
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I hate the rough, crudeness of the 4.0 sometimes as well. The 42RE is vexing, but it's not failed me yet. It shifts the same as it did 30k miles ago when I got the Jeep. Of course, other than adjusting the bands(which hasn't been done) it's had good servicing since I've owned it. The larger tire size doesn't help. I imagine if I had 225's, which is the stock tire size, I believe, it'd get 20+ mpg average. With 235s and stock suspension, I easily netted 19-20mpg average on trips. But the engine has no extra headroom. The added weight and higher COG along with the larger diameter tires just kills it. The blasted climate control loses the vacuum all the time when under load, defaulting to defrost, and I've got a full tune-up in the last year. I've also got a secondary vacuum reserve for the climate control alone. It helps...a little. I imagine the 4.0 had 185 hp when new. Now it's probably 125. LOL It just feels weak. Wimpy. So a 5.9 is appealing. I've poured so much into this Jeep that it'd be starting over, and just to have a slightly nicer, one year newer, Grand Cherokee? With the lsd rear end with the 44a? I can't see doing it.

The diesel KJ is just...I can't bring myself to get something with so many quality control issues. The WK is far better, but they only really get 22-24mpg highway, from what I can tell. And the upkeep is a LOT more. The oil changes alone will set you back hundreds. They also had some kinks to get worked out, and I don't think Jeep was using the 3.0 for long enough to get them dealt with themselves. It's for the enthusiast to manage, I suppose. Not that I wouldn't love to own one. I just don't think I could afford it. As for a Tahoe, I know they had a lot of issues with transmissions once upon a time, but I've never been enough of a Chevy guy to really be in the know.

I had no idea you'd gone through that whole fire catastrophe! Thank God no one was hurt. And the Jeep survived without any major damage? How the heck did it get that messed up? I've never heard of something like that before!
Hmm, i never actually looked into fuel economy, i just assumed they'd be pretty good. I guess i should just be happy with my ZJ and my Wife truck.
The trans that are behind the 5.3 are pretty terrible, like really bad, but whole aftermarket transmissions can be had reasonably affordable.

As for the jeep this summer, it really hurt my wallet, still recovering, i mean it doesn't help that i am an unemployed student, but i do my best.

it was really tempting to drive it off the edge of the grand canyon. The drive shaft blew up twice, first doing 95 somewhere in the middle of 110* hick town utah, after i spent 300 bucks getting it rebuilt professionally before i left, then in a parts store parking lot i spent 3 hours in the heat trying to pound in cheap chinese u-joints into the double cardan, i mean not a fun job in my garage with proper tools. but they were so cheap (all they had) i could push the caps in with my finger, so i hoped that the clips would hold them in, nope, so then i went without the shaft for a bit, did it again at a friends place in denver. Then my e-fan seized going up a 9% grade (the alberta ******* making Coloradans go around a dead jeep wasn't fun either) Dealership wanted 1500 and like a week for a new one, ended up doing the ford VDO one but even that wasn't near as easy as it should of been, 5 hours driving around denver. Managed to puncture the trans cooler line while trying to cut a zip tie, dropped the side cutters and it just hit at the right angle to put a hole through the aluminum.

then blew out my two front shocks getting air on an arizona highway, another long story, what a mess, there is still shock oil all under my wheel wells. then later on after i installed my bilsteins, in the middle of nevada at 4 in the morning on a bumpy highway the bolts that hold the bar pin snapped, i think just old hardware ( i would of got new ones, but it was way to hot to walk 4 miles in pheonix) i noticed at a rest stop, but luckily there was a car guy towing a really nice hot rod that i remember passing on the highway, so i waited hoping he'd pull in, and some how he had the correct size bolts in his tool box, i mean they wern't grade 8, but beggars can't be choosers

as for catching it on fire, that was fun, out at moab it was balls hot, like 109, we took a 50 mile long trail from somewhere back too the town, it wasn't too crazy so i felt it was okay to tackle it alone as long as i was careful, it was an amazing trail, anyways maybe 2 hours into it (5 in total) we stopped for a few minutes, i left the jeep running, i noticed the idle was a little funky, and the exhaust smelt like kerosene, i figured it was just hot from the last 2 hours being around 3-4k rpm from low range. anyways kept going, and i could literally see the gas gauge going down, it had burnt over half a tank in 2 hours, so started driving allot faster when i could so we could maximize milage. about 20 miles from the end we stopped for a cool photo op for the jeep (need to see if my sister has it) just let it idle, then a couple minutes later, its started chugging and you could hear the idle air valve sucking wide open. then it died, it took a couple trys to get it going again, and would only stay running at higher rpms, i didn't want to stop and check things out, so to keep it running i just kept it in first and drove as fast as i could, anymore load in 2nd it would die, so for the next 45 minutes i was bombing out at 5000rpm, getting air and sliding around corners, at that point i didn't care about the jeep, i just wanted to get out of there. it probably stalled 9 times. really scary, no cell service, hot as balls, and didn't see many people out there.

finally got back to a paved road, a few people were around, so i stopped to check things out, made sure no plug wires had melted to the headers or something, took the battery off, checked the codes, only got 1 misfire code. took for ever to get it started again, at that point i was on empty, the town was still 15 miles away, still no cell service, so drove back in in 2nd around 4500rpm just to stay running, was dumping black smoke, town was busy so i had to hold the revs up at traffic lights. got it to napa, parked it, i got my sister to rev it and hold it at 2500 for a minute so i could look at the exhaust, a steady stream of fire was coming from the tail pipe like a blow torch. i had no idea, and was tired so we let it cool and went for lunch; came back and i could barley get it started, but this time raw gas was coming out and igniting as it left.

so then i pulled the plug to look at it, seemed fine but i swapped it out with another cylinder to see if the misfire moved, i still didn't get why a simple misfire or dead cylinder could cause that big off an issue. once the plugs were back in i started it and pulled the plug wires off one at a time to know exactly which cylinder it is. anyways, i didn't realize it, but a bunch of gas from the cylinder and fumes filled the engine bay and soaked the headers; when i pulled a wire it arced to the header and lit everything on fire. i ran around and killed it right away, yelled at my sister to get out passports and such, ran into the store, grabbed the fire extinguisher, accidentally ripped it off of the wall; and right before i started spraying it, i looked to make sure nothing was too damaged by the fire, since the abs computer was on fire i didn't want the wires to of melted; if they had i was going to let it burn and have insurance buy me a new jeep. but anyways thank god i got it out before it caused too much damage

i talked to a few mechanics and no one wanted to help me, one guy said he could but in 4 days, everyone else was longer, walked around trying to find a hotel, there went any, so i walked to the mechanics shop to see if he had any advice, so find them less than busy, infact no cars in the bay, the two guys were doing **** all just sitting out side smoking. with a little help from my sister using her womanliness he agreed to look at it right away.
walked back, he convinced me to drive it instead of getting it towed , i went to start it, and it cranked for a second then i could see the belt since the hood was up, just bounce, tired again and got it started. drove it there, he hooked it up to the scanner and just got a misfire code as well.
he pulled the plug and cleanded it and stuck it back in, went to start it and hydro locked it. pulled the plug again, cranked it and gas started shooting out of the cylinder, like lots, with the key on it flowed enough fuel that it spouted from the spark plug hole about 4 inches steady stream. he put the plug back in and pulled the injector harness to see if the pcm was malfunctioning or if the injector failed. with the key in the on position, in about 45 seconds it filled up the kegger and starting coming out the air filter.

so he let me take his truck to a parts store that had closed already, but the guy inside was nice enough to open the door for me, he had no ford injectors, but he had some factory 5.9 ones, so i bought one and the mechanic installed it.

i figured when the motor was hot the surrounding cylinders were hot enough to vaporize the fuel and send it out the exhaust, but then when it cooled it stayed liquid and hydro locked it. but i was super lucky to not bend anything, just the flexplate

wow, i guess i write novels when i drink on web wheel, anyways thought ya might be interested
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #99
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

and just cause who doesn't like pics,

my jeep
here

and this in ouray co

kinda cool campsite with the obligatory poser flex shot

after driving on the salt flats at 220kmh

in water ton just did some dirt road bombing found a cool boat ramp, and needed to level of the jeep to make PB&J in the back

and so it knows i still love it and haven't forgot about it , my truck the morning i traded it in
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #100
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

That all came down to one bad plug? That's insanity! I'm surprised the computer was so stupid to do that, not compensating or shutting it down to protect it. Don't worry about novels. I still read it!

I love the pics. What's 220kph in American? :P When did you trade in that truck and what for?

Unread 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #101
Benja
1997 ZJ 

I Want your niner so bad ! haahah
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #102
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
That all came down to one bad plug? That's insanity! I'm surprised the computer was so stupid to do that, not compensating or shutting it down to protect it. Don't worry about novels. I still read it!

I love the pics. What's 220kph in American? :P When did you trade in that truck and what for?
I think after my novel i missed the point, it was one bad injector, i'll see if i can find it to get a pic, the injector separated, you can blow air through it. it was a crazy failure, the mechanic has never seen or heard of a failure like this.
and it leaned out the other 7 cylinders so bad, i am surprised i didn't burn anything up

220 is about 136.

About 2 months ago i traded it in for a 2011 f150 platinum, with the eco boost 3.5l twin turbo direct injection motor. its a great truck, but i am really not getting much better fuel economy than i did out of that 6.8, and much worse towing, mind you it does have more power, like allot, its stupid how strong this little motor is. a few days ago i towed a 4k dump trailer with 16k in it so 20k and it pulled strong, could accelerated much faster than the v10 or even my other diesel, and could even get into 6th gear at 75mph. i am very impressed with this little truck, but i still miss that 1ton.
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #103
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benja View Post
I Want your niner so bad ! haahah
Thanks
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #104
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Heres the evil ford injector ( i think it was just jealous and tried to kill off anything that wasn't ford, thats why i have mopar injectors back, mind you i don't know whats worse neon injectors or mustang)
you can see where the tip has sorrta peeled its self off, but all the internals are shot, its un believable how much fuel came through such a small hole.

a 200 dollar injector almost cost me 20,000, not cool, not cool.

Unread 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #105
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
yeah that is what i was going for.

how much would you want for them?
Make an offer. They are in good condition. Im not sure what they sell for
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.