My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #76
Benja
1997 ZJ 

I love the style of your 5.9 because is not excessive and look gorgeous!

Unread 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #77
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-XJ View Post
from moab to oregon dunes..
still think its pretty cool we ran into each-other down there, so random.
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #78
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benja View Post
I love the style of your 5.9 because is not excessive and look gorgeous!
Thank you!
Its been hard to keep it clean but still functional, but so far i think its worked out.
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #79
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Well last few nights away from home, i am currently in seattle at a friends house,

I had noticed a little oil my right rear wheel, nothing excessive and i had a leaking trans cooler line that i never got around to fixing so i just figured the oil had blown back there since it doesn't take much of a leak to cover the whole underside.

anyways about 200 miles away from seattle my wheel and tire and brakes and everything were covered in gear oil, i didn't want to pay a mechanic to put new seals in, so i filled the diff again, it was a quart or so down. then dove to his place, bought a floor jack at costco, new seals, bearings, fluids and such.

the left side was okay, a little pitting on the bearing surface, but still okay. but the right side axel shaft is worn down pretty bad, maybe .75mm

tried to find some new shafts in seattle, but couldn't find anything, so i went ahead and put some new bearings and seals in and hoped for the best, so far no leaks and hopefully i can make it home 950miles on monday. they don't make any noise or anything, if the old seals still had some give, i probably wouldn't of noticed it for a while.

in other jeep news, i put the bilsteins on and have driven 3000 miles or so on them.

i was pretty surprised that they actually gave me some lift, i measured before and after, out back it gave me 3/4" and up front 1/2''

i like them allot, the jeep is much more stable, and over the rough stuff they are very smooth, but when the road is fairly smooth they seem really twitchy, but i'll just have to get used to that, i really like the firm ride they give too. i would defiantly recommend them, especially for the price they cant really be beat.

i am going to have to give iron rock a call, but i have about 12,000 miles on my steering, and the heims on the tie rod are both done, there is a 1/4 in of play at the toe. i knew they wouldn't last as long as TRE's but 12 is just sad.
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #80
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

well incase anyone still follows this.

recently really the only thing i have done to it is replaced the injectors with brand new EV6's
ordered new heim joints for the steering.

next weekend i am taking my ford down to cour'd alen idaho to pick up a set of winter tires for the jeep, i'll mount them on the factory ninner wheels, the largest winter i can get on a 16'' is 32'' tall, but its better than nothing, and it wasn't worth it for me to get another set of wheels.
then a set for the ford on the factory 20's, in the spring i am going with some boss motorsports 330, black face polished lip 22's with 33'' tall nitto dune grappler tires, with 2'' strut spacers upfront.
and also a new set of winters for my mums car, because the bead rotted out on on tire today.

also should have the supercharger on it by spring the jeep that is, and the truck will receive an intake, new charge pipes, cat back and new manifolds and a tune
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #81
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I do follow ya. I love your build, man. I just don't always comment. It's good that you made it back safe. I should've said something before when you posted about your troubles mid-trip.

How's it running with the new injectors? Ah man, you're lucky for getting to live where you do. I've tried to get a job in the northwest for years now. Yes, years. It's difficult when you're a long ways away. The job market just sucks. Coeur d' Alene is on the list though. You can't find anything bigger than 32"s for a 16" wheel? That's a big order for the spring. Sounds pricey. Is your mom okay? That's a crazy way for the tire to go.

Getting an Amsoil air filter to replace the oiled version or just going for a K&N? I like mine. You're really building this 5.9 up. I want to see updated pics now.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #82
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I do follow ya. I love your build, man. I just don't always comment. It's good that you made it back safe. I should've said something before when you posted about your troubles mid-trip.
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
How's it running with the new injectors? Ah man, you're lucky for getting to live where you do. I've tried to get a job in the northwest for years now. Yes, years. It's difficult when you're a long ways away. The job market just sucks. Coeur d' Alene is on the list though. You can't find anything bigger than 32"s for a 16" wheel? That's a big order for the spring. Sounds pricey. Is your mom okay? That's a crazy way for the tire to go.
The injectors are great, even a noticeable improvement over the ford bosch +4's
I love the north west, i spend a allot of time in portland, and before i switched majors was going to move there, but now that things are getting better with the family, i'll be moving back to vancouver soon.

yea in winters 32 is the biggest tire for 16's, i would have to get 17's to have a 33 or 34'' tall tire.

luckily my dad was with her so she didn't have to deal with it, its strange how it failed, they were just piled in the garage, checked the air pressure, they weren't low, so i just stuck them on, like any other time. they are on the factory aluminum rims too, so not a el cheapo steel wheels.

Quote:
Getting an Amsoil air filter to replace the oiled version or just going for a K&N? I like mine. You're really building this 5.9 up. I want to see updated pics now.
The intake will probably be a bully dog or afe or something for the truck, my 5.9 has a dry flow aem filter on their intake, and my 5.2 just has a k&n intake on it.
I am pretty happy with how it sits now, really the only thing past the supercharger, i have in mind is some 4.56 or 4.88's it has plenty of power and acceleration, but i don't want to be lugging it under boost, and the fuel economy is horrifying.

i'll post some pics this weekend with the new wheels and tires and such, see what it looks like before and after.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #83
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm new wheels and tires? And damn that must be a D44a thing cause when I almost sold my ZJ both V8 zjs I looked at had bad rear ends. One was a 98 5.2 and one was a niner.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #84
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
Hmmm new wheels and tires? And damn that must be a D44a thing cause when I almost sold my ZJ both V8 zjs I looked at had bad rear ends. One was a 98 5.2 and one was a niner.
Well just tires, i still have the factory niner wheels and tires, and i bought a set of general altimax arctic's that i'll run un-studded for the winter, on them. And i need to use spidertrax spacers because of my steering.

But i'll still run my nitto's for the rest of the year.

I still haven't found new shafts, i can get some for just under 1000, but i don't want to put that much into this axel, so i am still on the lookout for some used ones, but with new seals and bearings i don't have any leaks or noise, so i am good for now. i just hate that is sending metal shavings and **** into the gear oil, because its a brand new gear set and LSD.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #85
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Damn I would just buy a junkyard rear end and swap your diff over
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #86
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

I've only looked twice, but the wrecker only had 35's

i still haven't researched it, but i wonder if d35 shafts would work, cause they use the same wheel bearings, and i have a spare set sitting at my parents place. i doubt the lengths or the splines are the same, but just a thought.

this jeep only has 100k on it, my 5.2 with the d35 has 200k on it and I've never had any issues with the bearings or anything, every time i took it wheeling i expected to blow up the d35, but it was a champ, locked on 33's and my extremely heavy right foot with a modded 5.2.
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #87
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah idk d35 shafts are 27 spline and I can't remember what 44a shafts are
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #88
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
Well just tires, i still have the factory niner wheels and tires, and i bought a set of general altimax arctic's that i'll run un-studded for the winter, on them. And i need to use spidertrax spacers because of my steering.

But i'll still run my nitto's for the rest of the year.

I still haven't found new shafts, i can get some for just under 1000, but i don't want to put that much into this axel, so i am still on the lookout for some used ones, but with new seals and bearings i don't have any leaks or noise, so i am good for now. i just hate that is sending metal shavings and **** into the gear oil, because its a brand new gear set and LSD.
I have a set of used shafts Id sell ya
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #89
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
I have a set of used shafts Id sell ya
I'll have to keep that in mind, if it was for shipping, id take em for sure, i think i am going to seattle around christmas time, maybe i could get you to ship them there. Thanks for the offer

is there any chance i could get you to measure how long each one is; if you have a minute sometime?
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #90
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Sure I could do that. The 35 shafts are not compatible in the 44 if thats what you want to know
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.