My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
I got them from rough country, but there are other companies that make them too, i just got the rough countries because i figured the braces had a better chance of fitting.

they are just upfront, since cherokees are leaf sprung. but they are aren't necessary in the rear, like how people just have front long arms. since the rear axel trails the CA's and the CA's are longer than the fronts to start with, having the rear arms at a steep angle really doesn't matter a whole lot, well at least compared to the front.

they drop both upper and lower CA's down the same amount so the geometry stays the same, it basically cancels out a 4.5'' lift by just moving everything down a bit. the bracket ties the uppers and the lower mounts together.

you can find out at lot about them in the XJ forums.
I understand how they work I asked about the rear, because I wonder if the front lowers would work in the rear as well?

The reason most people only have front long arms because they cant afford or dont have the means to truss the rear axle and change teh suspension around that much. Front long arms are bolt in for the most part.

Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #47
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

I doubt they'd work in the rear, unless some how it has the same spacing as the front. But I don't think it is.

The upper and lower is all attached, it's not two separate brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #48
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Ohhhh, well that sucks. lol
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #49
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Got a new windshield installed today, its and extra thick one, and its noticeably quieter on the highway. Its also amazing how pitted a windshield can get in 8 months.

Also Changed the filter, adjusted the bands and fresh ATF. To my relief the pan was extremely clean, almost nothing on the magnet. Made a hell of a mess, i mean like it looks like a massacre under my jeep, dropping the trans pan is horrible. Why can't it be like my trucks with a spin on filter and a magnetic drain plug.
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #50
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Did this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/2...e-fix-1225426/

and made a mini write up

also changed my track bar bushings, i got a bad batch or something from IRO and they were super soft.
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #51
ZJ_flexxxer
1994 ZJ 

hey man i'm interested in how you did your control arm brackets. i see you used them on the front, but what about the back? i'm still on short arms and i'm on a tight budget, i really can't afford LA's so those brackets have got me thinking

94 ZJ Laredo--lifted 4.5", rocker rails, front end/t-case/gas tank skids, tube doors, wj knuckle/brake swap, soft 8's, 32x10.50 tsl's [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-la-re-do-rebuild-thread-1212129/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
87 MJ Comanche--zj d44 rear w/ disc brakes, wj knuckles/brakes w/ drilled & slotted rotors,6" lift in progress [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/zj_flexxxers-manche-build-1349142/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
90 XJ Laredo--D.D., satin black paint job, 15" ecco's, the redheaded step child of my jeeps
87 XJ Wagoneer--R.I.P. =(

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/DirtHicksVideos"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][U][SIZE="5"]SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL![/SIZE][/U][/FONT][/COLOR][/URL]
ZJ_flexxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #52
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I think he is on short arms in the back, all adjustable. I haven't had any issues with flex in the back with adjustable short arms.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #53
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ_flexxxer
hey man i'm interested in how you did your control arm brackets. i see you used them on the front, but what about the back? i'm still on short arms and i'm on a tight budget, i really can't afford LA's so those brackets have got me thinking
The rear just has 4 adjustable CA's

There arnt any available for the rear that I know of since they are intended to be used with XJs and they are leaf sprung.

But they really are not needed. Since the rears have longer CAs to begin with. And since the axel trails them the angle of the CAs can be much steeper than the front without cause ride or flex issues.

Unread 06-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #54
ZJ_flexxxer
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
The rear just has 4 adjustable CA's

There arnt any available for the rear that I know of since they are intended to be used with XJs and they are leaf sprung.

But they really are not needed. Since the rears have longer CAs to begin with. And since the axel trails them the angle of the CAs can be much steeper than the front without cause ride or flex issues.

yea thats what i pretty much figured, thanks for the info though. and one hell of a job on this niner

94 ZJ Laredo--lifted 4.5", rocker rails, front end/t-case/gas tank skids, tube doors, wj knuckle/brake swap, soft 8's, 32x10.50 tsl's [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-la-re-do-rebuild-thread-1212129/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
87 MJ Comanche--zj d44 rear w/ disc brakes, wj knuckles/brakes w/ drilled & slotted rotors,6" lift in progress [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/zj_flexxxers-manche-build-1349142/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
90 XJ Laredo--D.D., satin black paint job, 15" ecco's, the redheaded step child of my jeeps
87 XJ Wagoneer--R.I.P. =(

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/DirtHicksVideos"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][U][SIZE="5"]SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL![/SIZE][/U][/FONT][/COLOR][/URL]
ZJ_flexxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #55
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

Any more info on that front driveshaft adapter? ive never heard of such a thing.

<--Mods in profile
tato1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #56
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato1111 View Post
Any more info on that front driveshaft adapter? ive never heard of such a thing.
Check out my other thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...shims-1150577/ post #20 on.

That should give you everything you need to know. but let me know if you have any more questions.
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #57
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Installed 4 new door speakers (again) this time aftermarket. sounds much better, now has some bass which was pretty damn novel for the stock infinitys

Just drove it to red deer and back and only averaged 12 MPG, but i was on the Albertan autobahn average speed was 85-90 MPH and there was a cross wind you could barely stand up in, so not too bad all considered.
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #58
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Installed 4 new door speakers (again) this time aftermarket. sounds much better, now has some bass which was pretty damn novel for the stock infinitys

Just drove it to red deer and back and only averaged 12 MPG, but i was on the Albertan autobahn average speed was 85-90 MPH and there was a cross wind you could barely stand up in, so not too bad all considered.
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #59
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

What brand speakers did you get? I love Polk myself, but the blasted rubber surrounds are damaged thanks to the audio shop installers. I didn't know enough about what I was doing back when I had it installed to do the speakers myself. I should have done so. They used a type of self-tapping screw with a flat, washer-type surface that ate into the surround and over time tore into it, splitting it. The speakers will rattle sometimes, but still work pretty well. I just need to get some type of repair kit for them one of these days.

12mpg at 85-90mph in a 5.9 doesn't sound bad at all. I'd get less than 12mpg on a calm day on flat terrain going that speed with the 4.0.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #60
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
What brand speakers did you get? I love Polk myself, but the blasted rubber surrounds are damaged thanks to the audio shop installers. I didn't know enough about what I was doing back when I had it installed to do the speakers myself. I should have done so. They used a type of self-tapping screw with a flat, washer-type surface that ate into the surround and over time tore into it, splitting it. The speakers will rattle sometimes, but still work pretty well. I just need to get some type of repair kit for them one of these days.

12mpg at 85-90mph in a 5.9 doesn't sound bad at all. I'd get less than 12mpg on a calm day on flat terrain going that speed with the 4.0.
I bought some Audio Research's. no idea if they are any good, i bought them last minute since i was driving up to red deer today, i thought i'd just stick em in.

Sucks about your speakers, but at least you didn't go to best buy, and them duct taping them in because they aren't the right size. They did that to my other jeep with some JL's

depending where you speaker is damaged, black RTV works really well to repair them

Sounds kinda dumb, but theses jeeps don't have converter box thingys for the steering wheel controls that i know of, and i hate the look of after market decks unless its like a double din touch screen type. most of them just look ricey. but i am pretty happy for now.

i am pretty impressed with how well the jeep drove at speed. i could do 90 all day very comfortably. steering was easy no white knuckling. even with 70 MPH wind gusts it was very composed. and the power from the little V8 is incredible.

i don't think my ford would even do 12mpg at those speeds, plus it would only have 10 more MPH before it hits the governor, needs a chip bad. but i am happy with it, next time, i am going to put the 91 tune on, since every last FT/LBS and BHP counts

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.