My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #31
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sick dude! you are right about the rims, they look sick on the jeep in that last pic. i like that wheel idea too. i want to order a set of MB chaos wheels for my jeep but dont want to run them in the winter and end up looking all nasty and corroded like my stock ones. guess ill just have to hit up the wash once a week in the winter haha

Unread 05-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #32
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

we have similar winters as you, and the salt really doesn't affect them that much, nothing like it did to the factory wheels on my other jeep, but i do wash it at least twice a week in the winter, offroading with wheels like that are going beat them up, but in a year or two i'll get get them powder coated flat black.

Would you get the black MB Chaos? discount tire has them pretty cheap, i bet they'd look pretty good on your white jeep.
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #33
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah man the black ones..i work at discount tire so ill get them dirt cheap
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #34
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
yeah man the black ones..i work at discount tire so ill get them dirt cheap
what size would you get them in?

and i am jealous how close you live to iron rock, for me the closest decent off-road shop is umm iron rock. actually Kevin's might be a little closer
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #35
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hah yeah its convenient but sucks cause im like "oh, ill just go pick up the parts at IRO, **** there goes a paycheck" lol

and im thinking of some 15x8s. not sure though i have some ravines going on tomorrow with my new KM2s
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #36
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

well not a very exciting update, but i still got some stuff done to it recently.

Last weekend i lengthened my lower CA's 5/8ths of an inch, now my pinion is slightly below the u-joint, but only slightly vibrates off the gas coming down from 100mph or so, so i can put up with it. Now i should have at least factory caster with the offset ball joints.

My alternator only lasted a week and half, now the bearing is squealing like i ran over a cat. so i am going to call some stealerships and see if anyone has a proper new 150 alternator in stock.

Today i put my e3 plugs back in, much smoother idle and allot quieter, and better low rpm power. so i will be keeping in this time.

This is also the first time i used a torque wrench, it was a huge pain in the ***, but i have never tightened any plug this much. spec in the FSM was 30FtLBS which really is allot of torque on a standard ratchet .

I will be spending a week or two in phoenix this summer and considering getting some bilsteins from kolak. Any input?

i had some on the 9er when it was stock, and i wasn't a big fan, but i have heard good things about them on lifted jeeps.
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #37
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

You can get that alt from Kolak for less than a stealership will charge. It works on the 4.0, too. Ask me how I know. :P

What are the e3 plugs? I don't think I've ever heard of those.

I want your Jeep, man. I really like the work you've done. The control arm brackets you used for an XJ really is an ingenuitive idea. I want you to live closer so you can help me out with my Jeep.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #38
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
You can get that alt from Kolak for less than a stealership will charge. It works on the 4.0, too. Ask me how I know. :P
I can get near cost on the alternator, and its going to be an exchange/ warranty through napa. but i would be getting it through kolak otherwise.
was yours new or remanned?

Quote:
What are the e3 plugs? I don't think I've ever heard of those.

They have an open ground cage, so the spark is kinda projected and not blocked by the ground strap. people either love them or hate them, i really like them, and they are great in LS motors. they have been shown to increase cylinder pressure and a bunch of other good things, Spikes horsepower tested them in an LS and used less fuel to make 5 more HP or something.

I did some testing in my other jeep with them vs new champions. and it was clear how much better they were. i took them out of this jeep because of my MSD box, i just put some .50 gapped autolites, i was hoping a bigger gap might help performance, but i ended up loosing 1mpg across the board, an my idle was nowhere near as smooth. The e3's seem to play well with the high out put ignitions, from all the research ive done.

Plugs are cheap, so i don't mind experimenting with them a bit.
Quote:
I want your Jeep, man. I really like the work you've done. The control arm brackets you used for an XJ really is an ingenuitive idea. I want you to live closer so you can help me out with my Jeep.
Thanks, I am pretty happy with hows it coming along the second time.

I am still very happy with the drop brackets, a friend and i were talking about how jealous we were of XJ guys having that option over radius arms, and i kept thinking about it, and even though everyone said they wouldn't work. i figured pretty much all the front end ZJ and XJ stuff is the same, i had nothing to loose (other than a bit of cash)
And hell they are even a great jacking point

What part of texas do you live in? i'll probably be in dallas area this summer with my jeep
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #39
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

So the shaft from a 1995 V8 will fit fine? Where in town can I get the flange adapter?

I bought some things that I'll pick up on Monday. So I need to go out and test them.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #40
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
So the shaft from a 1995 V8 will fit fine? Where in town can I get the flange adapter?

I bought some things that I'll pick up on Monday. So I need to go out and test them.
i just checked my other thread on it, i got it from a 1995 4.0 ZJ

and pats driveline near blackfoot has the adapters on stock (usually) they should know what your talking about, if not i should have the part numbers in that other thread.

Also how are you liking your bilsteins? i might pick up a set from kolak when i am in Phoenix.
Unread 06-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I really like them, they seem to work a lot better at the higher lift height so you'll be fine. The only problem is they get dirty really fast since the city puts down tons of calcium chloride on the roads.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #42
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
sick dude! you are right about the rims, they look sick on the jeep in that last pic. i like that wheel idea too. i want to order a set of MB chaos wheels for my jeep but dont want to run them in the winter and end up looking all nasty and corroded like my stock ones. guess ill just have to hit up the wash once a week in the winter haha
A trick to keeping wheels looking good through winter. Coat them in grease. After winter, give them a good cleaning to remove the grease. Theyll look good as new
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #43
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Where did you get those drop brackets? Do you have them front and rear? Upper and lower?
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #44
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
I really like them, they seem to work a lot better at the higher lift height so you'll be fine. The only problem is they get dirty really fast since the city puts down tons of calcium chloride on the roads.
Thats what i was hoping.

where did you get yours from?
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #45
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
Where did you get those drop brackets? Do you have them front and rear? Upper and lower?
I got them from rough country, but there are other companies that make them too, i just got the rough countries because i figured the braces had a better chance of fitting.

they are just upfront, since cherokees are leaf sprung. but they are aren't necessary in the rear, like how people just have front long arms. since the rear axel trails the CA's and the CA's are longer than the fronts to start with, having the rear arms at a steep angle really doesn't matter a whole lot, well at least compared to the front.

they drop both upper and lower CA's down the same amount so the geometry stays the same, it basically cancels out a 4.5'' lift by just moving everything down a bit. the bracket ties the uppers and the lower mounts together.

you can find out at lot about them in the XJ forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.