My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
I'm almost 100% sure I have a spare set of badges in the garage.

Where you going this weekend? Waiparous or Mclean?
That would be awesome if you did. Let me know if you wanna get rid of them

I am not sure if i'll be going this weekend, not sure if a good idea to go on the long weekend. But Probably just McLean if i did, might be a good idea to be a little closer on its maiden voyage. but i was thinking sometime during the week maybe, my friend just got back from cali so it more depends on him.

You going wheeling anytime soon? long arms come in yet?

Unread 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Some Clean Current pics as requested

Washed it yesterday, rained all night.

in this one my other sexy ride is peaking out from under the tree, it gets jealous of all the jeep love an d very little attention, but i did just order a gibson swept side ( two 2.5'' pipes coming out the stock location, 3'' from the y-pipe back) dual exhaust for it, and haven't decided on a chip yet.

you can see my receiver tow ring a made and my matte black exhaust.

can kinda see my drop brackets here, and my ridiculously long brake lines (barlely long enough flexed out, but still)
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

No long arms, haven't heard a peep from the shop on the 26th when they told me they would ship on the 29th. Talked to the IRO people, they shipped on the 13th. If I have an offer before the shop calls me, I'll be canceling the order with him, getting my deposit back and re-ordering through IRO. Never thought I would find a use for my business law textbook lol.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL

I like them allot, if your starting fresh i would still recommend long arms, but i know people are going to get mad, they are almost as good, and a great option if you already have good short arms. They make the CA's angles near stock, and you still retain the 4 link set up instead of radius arms which i like. Some people say they hang to low and you'd catch them on everything, but no worse then long arms.

The jeep handles better than it did stock, for being so tall, it has almost no body roll, the ride is amazing, i used to cringe going over train tracks at 4''s now i can fly over at speed and hardly feel them. There is a dirt road that is the worst washboard ive been on just out side the city, in my 09 f350 i can barley keep it between the ditches at 45mph, and you get so beaten up from the jarring, but in the jeep i did it yesterday again, it just cruises over it anywhere form 45-80, one hand on there steering wheel, very smooth, wouldn't know you weren't on the interstate if it wasn't for the change rattling in the ash try.

Its also very stable for a lifted vehicle, a few weeks ago i actually slide sideways going too fast on an onramp on dry pavement, and it didn't feel like it was going to roll or anything, its surprisingly good in corners too, much better than when it was stock with the bilstiens, it had soo much body roll, it felt like i was going to tip in every corner. Its basically a sports car that can go offroad ( and thats how i drive it)

But i'll see how it does off road next week, i have high hopes.
Cool that's exactly What I wanted to hear how much did they run you? Any modifications to make them fit?

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet88 View Post
Cool that's exactly What I wanted to hear how much did they run you? Any modifications to make them fit?
I think he just had to install them on opposite sides than they were intended for and wallow out one or two holes a bit. They actually look pretty beefy in person.
Unread 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

No modifications, just had to flip the braces up side down, and drill an extra hole.
And since XJs use alignment shoes, you need to either weld washers or use a copper spoon to fill in the slots.

edit: should of said, that i am using them on the intended sides, the braces would have fit the right way if i wanted to cut about 1/4'' off, but flipped upside down the fit perfect. also depending on what upper CA's you have, my RE's are as short as they will go at 6'' and i believe they even go a little shorter than stock. so it might be an issue running less than 6'' of lift, your supposed to be able to run 4.5'' on stock arms with the drop brackets though.

Also i would never use CA's without a flexjoint/ johnny joint, like rubber on both ends, since when the axel twists the joints don't transfer any rotational torque to the mounts with a johnny joint.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Sexy pictures.
Trimble96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
No long arms, haven't heard a peep from the shop on the 26th when they told me they would ship on the 29th. Talked to the IRO people, they shipped on the 13th. If I have an offer before the shop calls me, I'll be canceling the order with him, getting my deposit back and re-ordering through IRO. Never thought I would find a use for my business law textbook lol.
Damn that really sucks, we'll have to take my jeep out soon, so you don't go into wheeling withdrawal

When you said business law, i automatically thought how boring it sounded, then i realized thats what i was taking until i decided to switch paths a couple weeks ago
Unread 05-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #24
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Since the whole point of a build thread is to look at pics, heres some more

instead of 8 hours of polishing i like to let 8 cylinders do the work
you can see in previous pics the the lips of my wheels were almost white for salt oxidation. so i stick it up on four jack stands, stick a bunch of logs in front of the wheels in case it wants to drive away, gives me extra time to kill it before it drives up the lawn across the street.

Action shot, all fours are spinning, don't know why it doesn't look like it.

the end result

and for a milage update, ive been averaging 23L/100km in the city which is 10.3 US MPG Using the Superchips Tow Tune, on a stock tune i can only get 36L/100KM which is 6.5 MPG. and when i was commuting to my 9-5 and it would take me 1.30Hr to get home from about 10 miles away i was getting 56L/ 100KM which is 4.2 MPG.

But i am pretty happy with it, and all thats running 87 instead of 91 so that saves me 30 bucks or so with out the milage gain
Unread 05-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #25
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Did you put more air in your tires? It sounds like there is actually something wrong
Unread 05-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #26
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Did you put more air in your tires? It sounds like there is actually something wrong
Yeah, I am at 45 pounds now.

I had the scanner on it and was graphing fuel trim and such, my O2 is perfect (which it should be its brand new)

But my long term fuel trim is a bit high at 10%, ideally it should be at 0

i need to do a bit more research on that. I am thinking of trying a new MAP sensor, since these PCMs use air density tables and not mass air sensors, long term fuel trim is very dependant on the MAP values, and you can unplug the them and it will run, but it black smokes like crazy because it it just runs it really rich.

I am also thinking that that the map sensors probably use a diaphragm, so after 12 years maybe its just tired.

But i am kinda sick of throwing parts at it to help the economy, especially now that i quit my job i am low on cash, i'll price out a new one, other wise i might just go to the wrecker and grab like 3 or something and see how close their PCM values are.

I might also put my E3 plugs back in, i had switched to gapped champion coppers, but i lost 1mpg and my smooth idle, but the E3's i have i bought for the 5.2 so they have an even smaller gap than the stock 5.9 should be, never mind with the MSD box
Unread 05-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #27
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You have the MSD wired so it can be quickly disabled right?

Maybe try it with the programmer and no MSD?
Unread 05-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #28
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
You have the MSD wired so it can be quickly disabled right?

Maybe try it with the programmer and no MSD?
Yeah i do.
I could, but then i'd have to put stock plugs in, because i don't know if the stock ignition would support that big of a gap.

Might try it anyways.

Did you ever look to see if you have a set of badging you'd part with?
Unread 05-22-2011, 01:16 AM   #29
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Today i finally got around to fixing my drivers side heated seat, seemed wrong doing it on an 85 degree day, when i never got around to it all winter

And i fixed all my door speakers which were blown, so i just RTVed a bead around where the cone had separated, sounds great now, i was going to get new ones, but i figured i had nothing to loose, and it ended up working great.
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #30
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

More Pics YAY

When't on its maiden wheel voyage, other than forgetting my transfer-case skid from when i put the 242 in, all went well, the extra power from the niner is really nice offroad. its been raining a ton here, so everything was nice and slick, ended up sliding into a rut and got on to two wheels, passengers side front was about 3 feet off the ground (my sway bar was still connected) and i was sitting on my rocker on the drivers side, so that tire in there rear was just dangling too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.