My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #226
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was just wondering how you could afford all this stuff lol i think your profile said you were 23... Im 22 and a manager of a restaurant. Im in school now doing automotive looking to learn as much as i can

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #227
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbo1Kanerbo View Post
I was just wondering how you could afford all this stuff lol i think your profile said you were 23... Im 22 and a manager of a restaurant. Im in school now doing automotive looking to learn as much as i can
Fair enough, i am actually only 20, not sure why its says 23. Should also say, i havent seen a dime from my parents since i was 12, so no rich ***** here, just worked for it; most people assume my parents have money, so thats where it comes from, but nope not even a little.

Automotive ? as in mechanic or? Its a great field to be in.
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #228
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbo1Kanerbo View Post
This is Alberta , you can make over $20 an hour here pushing a broom . Mcdonalds pays 12-14+ , lol .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #229
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
This is Alberta , you can make over $20 an hour here pushing a broom . Mcdonalds pays 12-14+ , lol .
Very true, a couple years ago you could make 22 on nights at Timmies. Makes me wonder why i pay hundreds of thousands for education...
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #230
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah im in a mopar program ive got about a year and a half and ill come out a tier 3 chrysler tech. I figure this there are three things that will never go out of business. People need a toilet to **** in and water clean themselves (plumbing), Heating and cooling (HVAC), and a car to get to work (automotive). After working on my jeep i realized i didnt want to pursue a business degree and that i like to troubleshoot and get my hands dirty. I could literally just lay under my car for hours just looking at how everything works i think its so cool. And the new technology that is coming out with cars is just mind blowing. In our lifetime we are going to see some crazy ****!

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #231
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'm sorry to hear about the mess you're going through with your 5.9 since you hit the deer. Do you have any pictures? I have a friend in BC, and he lives in the most beautiful area in the world as far as I'm concerned. The only inland temperate rainforest in North America, Revelstoke National Forest, I think it is. I'd move if the US and Canada didn't make it so darn hard to cross borders. Then you've managed before, but don't you have family that help with such matters? Also, his town is a resort community where there aren't a lot of jobs outside of the service/retail industries, and they don't pay well at all. It's kind of like working in Aspen in the US. You can't make enough to live there so you commute. 'stoke isn't exactly expensive like that to live in, I don't think, but the pay isn't great anywhere. Even with the Canadian dollar trading higher than the US and minimum wage being just under $10, it's not exactly a booming area to work in. $10 sounds high to me because where I live the min wage is $7.20 pr hr. Yes, that's reality. Cost of living is high for the average income. It's just the way of things though. Someday I'll live in the mountains somewhere. That's all I know.

You all are right about vehicles advancing and how the newer ones seem to be more powerful, handle better, and get better mpg. I think I average 22-23mpg in with the V6 in my 4Runner at 75mph. I got less in my ZJ running 65. It seems the sweet spot is around 75 at times. It also has 50 more hp and handles 10x better. XREAS suspension is ingenious. I don't think they use it in the newer version, the 4th gen 4Runner. But from what I hear Toyota has really cheapened out on the newer model. With all that said, an old ZJ is something else off-road so it's hard to let go of. It's just not overly practical otherwise. I miss mine to this day and would still have it had I not wrecked her. Letting go isn't easy.

Do you have any pics of the Chrysler Newport Convertible you speak of?

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #232
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Its been forever since I ve been on the forum, life's been crazy.

A brief update of the jeep, at least what i can remember.

Not a whole lot has been done since the deer suicide, i am still out of pocket over 4000$ among a bunch of other legal fights. the jeep was finally all back together after 9 months later, then i got hit and run in a parking lot, i had witnesses and knew who did it, ended up pressing charges and suing the man who did it, thanks to my sliders only the door cladding was damaged, could of been worse, my jeep was parked on snow, and the *** end was moved over 5 feet after he hit my jeep 3 times. the man was extremely belligerent, after a verbal fight in a coffee shop, the police had to become involved. after charges, a law suit and countless hours, it only cost 400$ for the body shop to refinish the cladding and pain my sliders.

a bunch of stuff was replaced such as ball joints, hubs..... after the deer impact; but as far as upgrades:

Ditched the IRO steering for the Currie Steering, couldn't stand the heims anymore, even after i got sealed grease-able ones they wore out extremely fast. The currie isn't exactly the best, but it works fine, has no dead spot, it very beefy, and best of all is TRE's.

I ditched the 242's awful open center diff and put a new VC and re-built my 249, very happy with it, i regret ever putting a 242 under my jeep.

Put new bilstines out back, they were leaking very bad, and one had internal damage, it wouldn't compress near all the way. Not sure why, they are the correct length and are bump stopped and limited correctly.

Installed HID's, proper ones, with a ballist and such, proper set up, no blinding purple light, dont worry

My awful edelbrock headers cracked once again, after countless weld and patch jobs, i near started fresh just using the flanges, more work than i ever wanted to invest in exhaust, but its done now.

Jeeps now at 7.5''s and rolling on 35x13 Nitto Dune Grapplers.
no matter what you read on this forum, 33's are the perfect size for a ZJ, you CANNOT clear 35's on 6 inches of lift without massve amounts of trimming. In no way does the extra inch of ground clearance make up for what it takes to run them properly. I beyond regret going to 35's, i will eventually go back to 33's, it was a poor decision, not helped by the fact i was told by many people on this forum that 6''s is too high for 33's and i need 35's.
Anyways once i get the big brakes on it will be all good, but in the end not worth it.

Thats about it for the jeep, I had a new SRT 8 on order, got screwed over by the local dealer, got pissed off and bought a new 2013 VW GTI, went in to buy a cheap 20k golf diesel and left with the fastest most over priced VW there is.
I bought it a little over 2 weeks ago, i already have 3000 km on it, and i love it, its stupid fast, drives amazing, and even when i beat on it it still returns awesome gas milage. It shares the 2.0L turbo with audi, which is an awesome platform, the car is going in tomorrow to get an exhaust, intake and tune for the engine and DSG gear box. Eventually it will get a bigger turbo and such, but dont want to go crazy since the car isn't even a month old.

once my bank account recovers a bit (havent been working much since january, got hurt) i plan to get new tires on the GTI, it has horrible P Zero pirelli tires on it now, which cannot even put the power i have now down.
then put properly geared heavier axels under the jeep, new steering box, and some heads, rockers and a cam.

I will do my best to keep this a little more current, but i thought i should give a quick not so quick update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.