My 5.9 Build Thread (finally) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

My 5.9 Build Thread (finally)

As i look through everyone else's build thread, i decided i finally put one up of my niner, more of an update of how it sits now.

I had (still have) a 93 5.2, but always wanted a 5.9, but could never find a decent low milage one, but just before christmas 2010 i found a deep slate niner in mint condition, one owner, just under 100k miles.

I Drove it stock for a few weeks which was great, but then i decided it needed an Intake, so i bought a K&N which i had hood clearance issues, so i got a AEM Brute Force.

Then I installed a MSD Box, Coil, Wires and Gapped Plugs.

Drove another few weeks getting 17mpg city and 24 highway, and it was great, but it felt too low, and i decided i really didn't need two jeeps, so i decided to lift it too,

For suspension I used 8 adjustable Rubicon Express SuperFlex Control Arms, I decided to try some XJ drop brackets from rough country. I am using 4'' rough country springs with 2'' IRO spacers (i was going to get 6'' coils, but i am still on the fence if i want to drop it back to 4'') I have a IRO double shear front track bar, a JKS rear.

For steering i have the 5/8's IRO Over the Knuckle cross over steering, a KYB steering stabilizer and a Kevins Box Brace.

To keep it off the ground I have 18" Boss Racing 338 Black face wheels, with 33x11.5'' nitto trail grapplers. Its my DD so no 15'' steeleies here I also run 1.25'' Spider trax spacers.

To bring it all to a stop a i have IRO braided stainless lines, and carbon ceramic pads, they eat through rotors in less than 20k, but it stops better than it did stock. I have a hydro boost set up, that i got together for my 5.2 but never got around to installing, might get it on the 5.9 by the end of the summer.

I broke my repezza joint when i was accelerating hard on the highway, so i pulled a shaft from a 95 V8 and used a flange adapter. Not much fun pulling a shaft in 3 feet of snow and -40 degree weather, but luckily the shaft was the perfect length, so i didn't need to get it shortened.

I recently stuck a 242 in it so i have a chance to put a new VC in my 249.
My rear D44a has just been rebuilt including new gears and limited slip that works better than half the lockers ive seen.

As for exhaust, i have ceramic coated edelbrock headers, that i wrapped with copper wrap from cool it, including the y-pipe all the way to the 3'' magnalfow cat, then into a widebody magnaflow muffler, then hightemp coated matte black 3'' pipe out back to a matte black tip.

Polished just cause

Other performance goods include a 52x2mm polished TB, Ford motor sport injectors, Superchips programmer...

Other notable mods: Catch Can, Bluetop Optima battery, Trans cooler, remote mounted oil filter, 2way remote start, onboard 3000 watt inverter.

So far the only non- routine maintenance or upgrades have been a new rad.

I will probably think of allot more things to add, but here some pics, how it stands now, less the spidertrax spacers, much different stance now

And since i have no wheeling pics since i haven't taken this jeep out yet, heres a donut vid just for fun

The to do list includes an IRO belly pan and sliders, at this point i am thinking Icelands. I also plan on a centrifugal supercharger, and fox res shocks by the end of the summer.

Unread 05-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
chicagoniner
1998 ZJ 

Pretty sexy

[SIZE="3"][CENTER][B]Looking for Custom Drums? Check out [URL="www.splitnaildrums.com"]SPLIT NAIL DRUMS[/URL][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
chicagoniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoniner View Post
Pretty sexy
Thank you.

Really sorry to hear about yours, i would flip **** if anything happened to mine, it was a ton of work to get it how it is in only a couple months. i built up my 5.2 over a year and a half so it didn't seem like that much work. But still worth it, and i can't wait to wheel it next week.
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
chicagoniner
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
Thank you.

Really sorry to hear about yours, i would flip **** if anything happened to mine, it was a ton of work to get it how it is in only a couple months. i built up my 5.2 over a year and a half so it didn't seem like that much work. But still worth it, and i can't wait to wheel it next week.
Thanks man, yeah it sucks. Take some pics for me

[SIZE="3"][CENTER][B]Looking for Custom Drums? Check out [URL="www.splitnaildrums.com"]SPLIT NAIL DRUMS[/URL][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
chicagoniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Jeep32
2002 WJ 

Looks great dude! I'm not a big ZJ fan, but seeing a 5.9 always makes me reconsider. haha

Now fix the "Jeep" emblem on the front! haha
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

We need a pic of it clean
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

How do you like those drop brackets? Do you think they make it ride better?

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ
We need a pic of it clean
Your the only one who cleans underbodys :P
Trimble96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble96ZJ View Post
Hush
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ

Hush
Haha lol.
Trimble96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
hotrodjeeper
1998 ZJ 

Very nice! X2 on the clean pic
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble96ZJ View Post
I do too i have a gutter cleaner attachment for the pressure washer that i use upside down, if thats all ricers see when they are beside me might as well be clean i mean i have a polished exhaust and every things painted or bed-lined under it, and the rocks don't care
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet88 View Post
How do you like those drop brackets? Do you think they make it ride better?
I like them allot, if your starting fresh i would still recommend long arms, but i know people are going to get mad, they are almost as good, and a great option if you already have good short arms. They make the CA's angles near stock, and you still retain the 4 link set up instead of radius arms which i like. Some people say they hang to low and you'd catch them on everything, but no worse then long arms.

The jeep handles better than it did stock, for being so tall, it has almost no body roll, the ride is amazing, i used to cringe going over train tracks at 4''s now i can fly over at speed and hardly feel them. There is a dirt road that is the worst washboard ive been on just out side the city, in my 09 f350 i can barley keep it between the ditches at 45mph, and you get so beaten up from the jarring, but in the jeep i did it yesterday again, it just cruises over it anywhere form 45-80, one hand on there steering wheel, very smooth, wouldn't know you weren't on the interstate if it wasn't for the change rattling in the ash try.

Its also very stable for a lifted vehicle, a few weeks ago i actually slide sideways going too fast on an onramp on dry pavement, and it didn't feel like it was going to roll or anything, its surprisingly good in corners too, much better than when it was stock with the bilstiens, it had soo much body roll, it felt like i was going to tip in every corner. Its basically a sports car that can go offroad ( and thats how i drive it)

But i'll see how it does off road next week, i have high hopes.
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep32 View Post
Looks great dude! I'm not a big ZJ fan, but seeing a 5.9 always makes me reconsider. haha

Now fix the "Jeep" emblem on the front! haha
Thanks!

I ve been thinking about it, on my other jeep i just de-badged it and i like the look, but this one the PO got it 3m ed so its cut out, i am hoping the jeep dealership wont kill me too bad, i was thinking of getting some from a current liberty, pretty much the same size, and might not cost as much.
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'm almost 100% sure I have a spare set of badges in the garage.

Where you going this weekend? Waiparous or Mclean?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.