My 01 Limited build: Minivan on Steroids!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 01 Limited build: Minivan on Steroids!!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Friday I will be ordering it from Kolak! I emailed him about it on monday, I just wanna get one more paycheck in the bank so I've got money to fix stuff, and I welcome help! Still not sure where I'm going to install it, I have a friend with a ton of equiptment used for fixing excavation stuff, a full shop with 12 ton jacks, compressed air, and every tool you can think of, but it's hard to get time in there. Honestly if I install it in my parents garage it might be too tall to fit... you can see in the above pic of my interior where the minivan sits, and the minivan is about the height of my jeep, so I'd be cutting it close. Haha, can you imagine, installing the lift and realizing you couldn't get it out of the garage because it was taller than it And then my last option is at my Grandparents garage, it's got more space than mine so it's probably a better option. The reason I said I might need to fix stuff is It pulls way hard to the right currently, so I'm worried my front end might be shot, as it's all original. I haven't really gotten under there to check though, it's just too low plus my tires are terrible, and one loses like 5 psi every 2 days so that doesn't help. Ugh I know, I've been talking about it all for like a month and a half now, but it's happening before the end of the month I hope!!

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I've been reading reviews and I've decided what compressor I'm getting, cheap simple and gets tons of good reviews, the MV50. It's sold under a couple different names, but here's the best price I've found: http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...air+compressor

I already have a highlift, but I have no highlift points, making it fairly useless, and I need rocker protection, those things are flimsy! so I need sliders! originally I planned on making my own sliders, and I budgeted about $150 for that, but I found out trail gear sliders will work with the wj with a little modification! mtnmarc has them in his build thread for reference. I have been eyeing these since my Bronco, and they look awesome on the WJ so I'm goin for it! like $200 vs $400 for similiar ones from IRO or JCR I plan on modding them and the pinch seam slightly with some plate and slight trimming and bending of the pinch seam so that they can bolt up there for extra strength, and welding them to the frame probably.

http://www.trail-gear.com/trail-armor

I also am gonna pick up a 3 towstrap with soft ends, and one with hooked ends for those on the trail without hooks or d rings. A tire patch and plug kit is in order as well, and spare fluids, a passenger side spare front shaft, and spare u joints too
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So the lift has been ordered as of about 4 days ago... just waiting on it to ship, I guess IRO is a bit behind on getting things shipped out? Kolak said it should only be a week to a week and a half though, not a problem though, just gives me time to save up before I actually lift it! I found a guy trying to get rid of 4 worn out 33's for free, hopefully I can scoop those up tomorrow to use one of them as a spare and maybe sell of the rest for some funds
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

IRO is currently on their way to Utah.. so hopefully they got your order out the door before they left haha
BLACK04WJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I saw that on their facebook, with my luck it hasn't shipped yet
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODMODEX View Post
Yeah I saw that on their facebook, with my luck it hasn't shipped yet
I placed an order with them earlier this week and told them to just bring it with them to avoid shipping costs
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I should have thought of that! I'm not headed down to EJS is the only problem... Hey I have a totally random question, regarding your sliders. Are they bolted to the "frame" or are they welded? The trail gear sliders I'm gonna get have a bracket/gusset kit that you can use to bolt them on or weld them, I sorta want them to be removable though. Not sure why, welding them on just seems like it could cause some major issues if I ever needed to take them off! They also don't bolt to the pinch seam but I think I found a solution for that..
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

they use self tapping screws to mount to the "frame" and then they are bolted through the pinch seem
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
adavis39
2002 WJ 

just go ahead and get it over with....cut out your rockers and weld in some square tube!! thats what I wish I had done. Its a future upgrade for me, but now is as good a time as any to gain some clearance
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
just go ahead and get it over with....cut out your rockers and weld in some square tube!! thats what I wish I had done. Its a future upgrade for me, but now is as good a time as any to gain some clearance
I wish I would have gone that route to begin with. Probably would have been cheaper than sliders
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
I wish I would have gone that route to begin with. Probably would have been cheaper than sliders
if you can weld or know someone who can , it would be WAAAYYYYY cheaper. Not sure about a shop doing it and how much they would charge but certainly worth finding out. Same strength with about 3-4'' added clearance at the rocker
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #27
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I need to cut my rockers too...
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #28
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

after lookin up some pictures, I think you guys talked me into cutting out my rockers and welding in some 2x6, with some tube. I actually hate how low the sliders hang, and the bars going to the frame would be a bad hang up point, and it makes it 2 inches lower, which sucks for clearance and just looks, well, shorter... or kinda like a body kit or something weird. Idk never likes the looks of them especially on WJ's they just sit so low, so this is the perfect option! besides the fact that i'm chicken to start cutting things I have a buddy who wants to go half n half on a HF 170 amp mig... so $100 for a welder, and we'll buy the lifetime warranty for $25 or whatever, plus their return policy is really good. figure we can't really go wrong for the price! that leaves me $100 for metal, better wire, and a grinder and some cut off wheels Maybe I can convince my buddy to do the same thing to his XJ instead of getting sliders like he planned. and if that doesn't work out I know some people who have welders, just would take some extra time to get them to do it.

Here's what I'm gonna base mine off of: (I also want to base mine off of tons and 38's )

So, here's my list of stuff to do in order:
1. try not to have a mental break down waiting for my lift to get here
2. Install lift when it gets here
3. pick up a spare tire and wheel, already working on this one...
4. make bumpstops
5. cut out rockers/ make a spare tire carrier
6. get a cb setup and spare fluids etc. for wheeling, and recovery gear
7. good lord this is too many steps to get this thing wheeling I'll go play around in the hills with it as soon as I have bumpstops, but any real trails I want to have the rest of this done, minus maybe the rockers. I guess if I smash the ***** out of them it wont matter cuz they're getting chopped anyways... and the spare can chill in the back for now.
8. tank tuck/ other crap as I have time and money... like headlights, floor mats, seat covers, replace my blown tweeters or juts upgrade my whole system yada yada
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #29
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ok so maybe I won't do 2x6... still looking at my options, here is a really good link I found, for a ZJ, I imagine it would be very similar on a WJ... part 1 http://www.theoffroader.net/cut-out-...guards-part-1/

part 2 http://www.theoffroader.net/cut-out-...%80%93-part-2/

and here's a link to the build for the rig in the above post. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...dblr-37s/page2
I think he kinda just went ape shat and cut through everything, and welded in 2x6 but the pictures make it hard to tell but he said he cut through 3 different layers... I feel a little better about the way the zj guy did it haha but I guess I won't know until I start cutting what the best way to do it will be! I will for sure be going this way though.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #30
adavis39
2002 WJ 

yeah, those are pretty badass looking
TNJEEPS.COM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.