My 01 Limited build: Minivan on Steroids!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My 01 Limited build: Minivan on Steroids!!!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The College Kids Silverstone WJ Build

What's up guys, title explains part of it, cuz WJ's sorta look like minivans but here's the rest! I picked up an 01 WJ limited, 4.7, tow package, upcountry, quadradrive etc, this November, and I plan on building her into a DD and a my weekend wheeler!

CURRENT PIC:

The day I bought her

Took her wheeling shortly after was impressed with the "quadradrive" but not with the articulation and ground clearance...

Plastidipped my wheels and emblems some time in between, you can tell it's has upcountry suspension in this pic, and it's sitting on 245/65/17

I also plastidipped the interior wood trim, for a less mom-car-esque look, and I can peel it off if I ever decide to sell it Might try applying some bedliner over the plastidip, and seeing if it will still come off, for a more durable finish.

I also have installed a Pioneer stereo, and a 12 Kicker CVR sub to compliment the infinity sound system in it. But then i blew out 3 of the speakers...

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Look what started showing up Friday! (4/11/2013) The rest should be here today!
6.5 Iron Rock Offroad Critical Path lift!

Just the long arms showed up Friday, and the shocks, the rest should be here today (monday)

Had these for a while, I wanted 35's but I figure 33's would be much friendlier on stock gears. I plan 35 Kevlars and 4.56 gears before the end of the year!

picked up a spare Friday as well

Got em mounted up. (Pro Comp 33/12.5/15 Mt's, and 15/8 w/ 3.75 BS Pro Comp Rock Crawler wheels)

Installed flex joints in the long arms this morning, also changed my oil

rest of my parts!

4/21/2013
Installed the long arm brackets while I had some free time

Fed a wire through first then the nut-plate with fishing line. made lining it up very easy

4/22/2013
Teaser pic of the front... gonna have to finish it all tomorrow cuz finals are kicking my *** and I've got work.

4/23/2013

"Iron Y" installed. Install was easy for sure

passenger side long arm... even easier to install than the other side. and yes I tried to put in my trackbar backwards for a solid 30 minutes before I realized I was doing it wrong :P

coil etc, didn't have to compress these to get them in so install was way easy

rear short arms. It's maybe 1/2 an inch longer than stock... also a breeze to install. Initial impressions it rides like a truck in the back now. Not bad, but I can definately see wanting LA's rear in the future. They sent me Nitro shocks for the front and Hydro rear when I requested all Hydro... but oh well. Rides awesome for having those ****ty RC shocks up front. I hate those things

The rear coils needed some lovin to get them to fit, those short arms don't have much droop

Rear A arm spacer and coils installed. Word of advice for anyone doing this lift, get a racheting 22mm wrench, it would have made life so much easier. Also disconnect the brake lines from the A arm, makes installing the spacer super easy. I think the stock bolts are 13/16 or 21mm btw, forgot but I had to go buy a 22mm wrench for the new bolts, and could only get 1/4 turns in at a time.

finished product! pretty happy with it

took it for a spin to walmart to pick up a couple washers for the rear swaybar. got a tiny bit o driveline vibes and it wanders a tiny. Brake steer was BAD. Needs an alignment for sure. Not sure if the brake steer is something due to alignment, or maybe install somehow, or just the nature of the 3 link? gonna take it to get aligned tomorrow. Also had to trim about 1/2 on each side of the bottom of the wheelwell due to rubbing already.. I plan on plenty more once I get it wheeling
4/24/2013
played with the caster a bit more, got it driving much tighter, and reduced some of the brake steer. here's some pics of her

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also reserved for future posts
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

So I don't know a lot about Dubs but I see in your sig that your running a 15" wheel. I thought that dubs had a double piston break setup and 16" wheels were the smallest you could run to fit the breaks?
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if they have the right backspacing you can fit 15's, I may have to grind the edge of my caliper a tiny bit, but it fits just fine from testing it. They are 3.75 BS btw, but tons of people run them with 4.0 of backspace, it's actually very common. Most people say they have to be steel rims but I have seen some with alloy rims running 15's on WJ's as well on here and in person

**Reserving the rest of this for future posts**
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

I see. Like I said I don't pay much attention to the dub side lol.
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I almost wish I had bought a ZJ but I wanted something newer at the time, because I didn't plan on more than a BB and some 31's, but if I had planned on going bigger with it I would have probably picked up an xj or a zj just because there's so much more aftermarket support, and I could have had another 2k to start off building it with
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Haha that always helps. Though seeing the big dubs on here makes me want one.
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah and I swear there are a TON around where I live, I see one on 33's to 35s almost weekly, and there are quite a few users here on JF that have big dubs and live by me
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

I wish I was that lucky lol. I've only seen a few lifted ZJ's. mostly trucks around here unfortunately
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah there's a good amount of lifted ZJ's rollin around here too, and a ton of new JK's I live like 10 min from a Jeep dealership so I see them a lot... one day when I'm not poor
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

plastidipped the wood trim today, I still need to touch up or redo a couple parts but over all I like how it came out!

I think that tomorrow I'm gonna put a thin coat of vht nightshade on the courtesy lights, just to kinda tie it all together, and maybe just hit everything with another coat or two to make sure it's tough enough to not get peeled up from every day use. I really like how it looks, so I'm thinking of making it permanent with some spray on bedliner or something, but being able to remove it if I ever want to sell it is also a plus
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODMODEX View Post
I almost wish I had bought a ZJ but I wanted something newer at the time, because I didn't plan on more than a BB and some 31's, but if I had planned on going bigger with it I would have probably picked up an xj or a zj just because there's so much more aftermarket support, and I could have had another 2k to start off building it with
This is exactly what I did. Don't regret my WJ at all, I'm just having trouble beating up such a nice find.
onionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mines already gettin some pretty good scratches from the little wheeling I've done so I'm kind of past that by now my problem is just funding it, these aren't cheap to build! Neither are most Jeeps I suppose once you get to 6 of lift, but my Bronco was much cheaper so this rig better kick butt on the trail when I'm done!
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

quit talking about it and just get 35's man! also, did you order your lift yet? I want to help install it.. since you are getting the same thing i started with
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.