Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Mwyatt's WJ Build

30K views 340 replies 20 participants last post by  MWyatt 
#1 ·
I got this jeep over the summer when my '94 4Runner decided to die on me. This is much better! I didn't document the build very well but plan on it with the rest of the project.

It started off like this:

And is currently like this:

Completed Modifications:
IRO 3" Lift
15x7 Cragar Soft 8s
31x10.5 GoodYear Wrangler Authority's
Painted cladding
Added Factory Tow Hitch and Front Tow Hooks
Thrush Welded Muffler
Mesh Grille
Solid Front Diff Cover
KOR 3/4" Spacers
Carolina Driveline Front Driveshaft
JCR Stage 3 Sliders
IRO Bar Pin Eliminators
IRO A-arm spacer
K&N Intake tube with Amsoil Dry Dilter
ZJ washer bottle
Transmission Cooler
Cut Fenders

Things Still Left To Do

Tank Tuck
mtnmarc's axles
Stereo/speakers replacement
4.5" Coils
Long arms
35s

This thing is fun!

See less See more
#110 ·
Keep me posted on when the fender/tank tuck party will be. I will definitely be there.

Also, if you still decide you want to go with long arms I will have my IRO front arms up for sale soon minus the brackets. I'll sell them for pretty cheap. I bought myself some Ironman long arms a while back that I should be installing soon.

And if either of you guys want my '04 grille I'll sell that cheap also.

#111 ·
For the tank tuck, are you planning on cutting out a section of the skid plate and welding it back? Or drilling holes and using bolts to fasten it?

#112 ·
For the tuck I'm going to cut the "brackets" then weld it back together. And I'm thinking about staying on Iron Man short arms for now. I might pick up some 4" springs after everything is done and use iron man long arms instead of shorts up front.

edit* Here is a pretty solid list of what I want to accomplish during college.

Performance
FIPK w/ Amsoil Dry Filter
3" Cat-Back Exhaust
Superchips Flashpaq
Transmission Cooler

Driveline/Steering

Dana 30/44a - 3.73 Gears (mtnmarc)
Sleeve D30
Yukon 4.10 Gears
JKS Tie Rod
Steering Stabilizer Relocation
33x10.5 KM2s

Suspension
IRO Adjustable Rear A-Arm
Iron Man Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms
Iron Man Adjustable Front Long Arms - Radius Style
4" Springs
Extended Bumpstops
JKS Adjustable Track Bar
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Addco Rear Sway Bar

Armor
IRO Transfer Case Skid
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier

#116 ·
I'll probably go with IRO's brackets then. Let me know how yours work out. I wont be doing mine for a while due to my transmission being dead.

I updated/organized the "re-build" list. It isn't in order, but its pretty much everything I want to accomplish before I'm out of college.

Also, how do you like the Rusty's 4.5" springs? I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with IRO again and pick up some Teraflex or Rusty's springs instead.

#117 ·
i might stay away from teraflex.

i mean, dont get me wrong, i love my springs, but the have sagged pretty bad to the passenger side. its a good inch or inch and a half. and they seem pretty soft.

#121 ·
I like them alright, but I got them used and don't really have much to compare them to. They haven't sagged since I've had them. I didn't measure before and after the lift so I'm not sure how much the netted me either.

would you guys be down for a prairie city trip? my buddy was talking about it. maybe within 2 weeks
I would be down assuming I get everything finished on my Jeep by then. I live right down the road so I can pretty much head there whenever assuming that I don't have work.

#128 ·
Picked up the transmission, $610 out the door with a 100 day warranty. Time to put it and beat the hell out of it and see how it holds up. If something goes wrong within the next 100 days, it gets fixed for free! :D

Wanna have a transmission/fender cut/tank tuck party?

#129 ·
I am down to help. I fixed my main issue today which was the crankshaft position sensor. It was a PITA to replace.

If you wanna get it underway this weekend I can help. I took the weekend off work for a wheeling trip to slick rock and deer valley but the jeep won't be ready by then. I am a newbie mechanic but can always lend a hand to wrench.

#130 ·
I might be able to get it rolling on Sunday. Hopefully it wont be to complicated to swap the two out.

And my next question is whether to go with 4.11 gearing or go to 4.56 for 33x10.5 or 11.5 tires. I know 4.11 will give me a little lower rpms @65mph but the 4.56 will give me more low end power with higher rpms @65 mph :confused:

#132 ·
This is what I have been using to make a decision. If I go to 4.56 gears it will put me around 3000rpm @65 mph. I'm not sure how daily driveable it will be with 33s and that gearing on. I'll have to look around some more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.