Was this to much to do my thermostat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Was this to much to do my thermostat?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Iamlew

Was this to much to do my thermostat?

It was stuck open, decided, hey I'll replace it, cheap, easy, what could go wrong.

Second day into my thermostat project here is my progress:

here is my next step:

Time for the drill, lets hope I don't break the bit/extractor and have to pull my head off and get it machined out.

Unfortunately it bottomed out (wrong bolt apparently) only it bottomed out at 90 psi using the air tools. But It didn't break through the back so I'm still hoping it can be removed without drilling all the way through. I'm not confident I'll be able to tap the hole straight if that's the case.

Luckily it's only 97 out today =p

Edit - oh that notch you see is the failed attempt at removing it with a screw driver, it just breaks the bolt more. Didn't think going further into the housing was a good idea.

Edit - 2 - Broke extractor off... awesome. any ideas? bought the best bit I could find to attempt drilling into it, but it's not working, even at full speed on my 1/2" drill it just annihilates the bit after a while. I was honestly surprised the bit didn't snap.

Last edited by Iamlew; 06-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: more info
Iamlew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Get another drill bit thats made for drilling metal, go slowly maybe medium speed, keep the bit straight, and use lots of lube on the bit to keep it cool. I usually use some pb blaster but any kind of spray lube should work. And you may end up having to drill over size and heli coil it if the metal is thick enough. Good lesson on using air tools on things that dont need the torque.
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Iamlew

Edit - yeah I was using the air tools as I could only turn the bolt about 1/16 of a turn with the fan/shroud/radiator in the way =\ Seriously took about 2 seconds from out to destroyed, I think I'm investing in ratchet wrenches tuesday (killer sale at napa).

I was planning on needing helicoils as soon as that extractor busted, and gave up for the day. Figured Nothing was getting it fixed over the weekend and it's a bit too hot to be wrenching in the sun when I can do it monday morning.

Curious if I'll even be able to fix it now, helicoils or not, look what my dad did (without asking) unsupervised earlier. Not much wall left there.

Awesome isn't it? Now I have an inch deep hole under the bolt. Man I don't know why he has to mess with my cars all the time (living at home while I'm in college, last year and I'm gone for good)

I'll leave tools where I want them so the next day when I start up again everythings good to go, and he'll have put everything away and forget where stuff went. So I'll lose hours trying to find everything I need and run out of sunlight. He's 71, so I guess it's somewhat understandable but it really irks me when this kind of crap happens and I'm stuck fixing it out of my pocket, like I got 100's of dollar to throw around at things that could be avoided easily.
Iamlew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

ouch! your going to have to at least grind the bolt flat again to get the drill bit to go in straight. I wouldnt worry to much about the hole he drilled, it may actually help relieve some tension. Once you get the bolt out you can use some jb weld to fill the hole your dad put in it and then sand it flush. At least thats what I have done in the past when buying a new head wasnt an option.
Unread 06-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Jb weld isn't good with the kind of heat gas engines make. Especially in a head. Makes good block repairs on diesels though.

Can you weld?

They do make special bits for removing broken pieces of tool steel(which that easy out is made of), but they're expensive.
Unfortunately that relief hole your dad ended up drilling is going to make removal even harder. As if a nice hardened steel insert isn't bad enough.

All signs are pointing to machine shop or salvage head now.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.