mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #61
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Greg is gunna fab me up some upper mounts.
I just caught up with the pics I hadn't seen in this build thread man, your preperation looks solid so far! That's quite a parts pile , similar to Andy's when I started!

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #62
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

picked up some more parts yesterday. pic will come later. im at work now and i probably shouldnt be on. ha

getting 12 inch foa coilovers next paycheck! well, thats the plan.

would the ride be horrrible with coilovers in the front and coils in the rear?
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #63
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrskey View Post
Can you send post some more pictures of those sliders and how you mounted them up? Those are dirt cheap and its nice to have local dealers!

Unread 03-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #64
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Now some more goodies!

A 1350 u joint yoke for the 14 bolt

Np231 out of an 03 tj with 60k miles. One thing I noticed was weird, the shifter cable is pointed downwards? Compared to my np247 which is pointing up.

And my shaffers offroad truss finally came. This isn't mine, but its what it looks like.

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #65
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the pictures man. Did you have to shorten the tube going down to the unibody at all or just weld the frame bracket to the end of the tube as is? And lastly do they protect as well as others? Looks like I might be pulling the trigger on a set.
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #66
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrskey View Post
Thanks for the pictures man. Did you have to shorten the tube going down to the unibody at all or just weld the frame bracket to the end of the tube as is? And lastly do they protect as well as others? Looks like I might be pulling the trigger on a set.
Ya, you have to cut the tube at an angle since the unibody is higher than the pinch seam. Also the l bracket needs to be shortened a bit.

The coverage is good. Idk personally how they compare to others, but they have saved my doors a couple times. Mostly at king of the hammers. I should have taken some pictures, I was Hung up bad. Ha.
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #67
jemrey81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man, your jeep is looking good... you've put in a lot of hours, nice job!

I use to work at Auburn Honda too.... there's some good people there.
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #68
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemrey81 View Post
Hey man, your jeep is looking good... you've put in a lot of hours, nice job!

I use to work at Auburn Honda too.... there's some good people there.
Ya, there are some sick guys there. I just can't stand Dave, the service writer. Never up sales anything and gives away free jobs! It's annoying...

Anyways, I have the day off tomorrow and the weather is good so I hope to have the front axle mostly taken apart ready to grind on my next day off.
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #69
jemrey81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ya, there are some sick guys there. I just can't stand Dave, the service writer. Never up sales anything and gives away free jobs! It's annoying...

Anyways, I have the day off tomorrow and the weather is good so I hope to have the front axle mostly taken apart ready to grind on my next day off.
Haha, Dave is awesome... he was one of my favorite guys to work with - I worked in parts and didn't rely on him upselling though!

I always told my friends and family to go to him because he wouldn't try and upsell anything that wasn't 100% necessary.... I can understand your frustration though
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #70
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

not much update lately.

when its been sunny, ive been trying to work on my axles.

the dana 44 is fully taken apart waiting to be completely wire wheeled and painted.

ordered my front and rear coilovers with reservoirs from foa.

14s for the front and 12s for the rear.
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #71
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbo1Kanerbo View Post
i would hope its 30 lol wouldnt be much of an upgrade if it was 19 would it?
The outer shaft is 19 spline, inner shaft is 30 spline.

I've heard the 78-79 years only had 19 spline outers.
I'll probably just keep the stock outers until I break something, then upgrade.
Unread 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #72
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Np231 out of an 03 tj with 60k miles. One thing I noticed was weird, the shifter cable is pointed downwards? Compared to my np247 which is pointing up.
idea thief.......how did you know I'm getting a 231 on Friday, and beat me to it??
Unread 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #73
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
idea thief.......how did you know I'm getting a 231 on Friday, and beat me to it??
Psh! I've been thinking about it for 6 months, then finally found a good price on one with low miles.

It's still going to be a few months before I put it in. I'm still curious on the shift cable.

When you put yours in, can you take a picture so I can get an idea on what to do.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #74
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Psh! I've been thinking about it for 6 months, then finally found a good price on one with low miles.

It's still going to be a few months before I put it in. I'm still curious on the shift cable.

When you put yours in, can you take a picture so I can get an idea on what to do.
sure. some guy on mallcrawlin figured out how to do it with almost no modification, otherwise, some other guy pretty much machined himself a whole new shifter with a dremel tool. I think I'd like to go the first route....lol
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #75
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
sure. some guy on mallcrawlin figured out how to do it with almost no modification, otherwise, some other guy pretty much machined himself a whole new shifter with a dremel tool. I think I'd like to go the first route....lol
GraKee on here just did a write up on how he did his. Looks simple enough to give it a shot.

Small update, yesterday changed my oil and spark plugs. I think they had never been done at 152k. The gap was over twice spec.

Before changing the plugs, I was getting 13 mpgs. Now right around 15 mpgs.

Next when I have time is valve cover gaskets and re weld up my muffler with flanges.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.