mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #571
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yep yep!

Here's what my radiator looked like right before the swap

And the old 545RFE trans pan. From everything I've read and experienced, the glue that holds the clutches within automatic transmissions together is water soluble. So water destroys them

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #572
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is some nasty looking pepto bismol.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #573
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake
Yep yep!

Here's what my radiator looked like right before the swap

And the old 545RFE trans pan. From everything I've read and experienced, the glue that holds the clutches within automatic transmissions together is water soluble. So water destroys them
That is a Jeep Engineered failure to make sure the consumer is giving mechanics sum lovin later on in the life of the vehicle.

Sent from iPhone
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #574
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Filled the shocks with nitrogen today. Rides way better. Stiffer on all around driving and cornering. Raised it about an inch or so. Noticeable from my point of view.

Quick picture at work. Measured 45" from ground to fender in the front and 44" ground to fender in the rear.

Now I need to cut up the rockers and get some good clearance like Greg's. I also picked up a 41 tooth speedo gear I'll be wiring up within the next couple days. We will see how close it is. It should be close according to a tj spec. Used the gear chart just to hopefully get close.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #575
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc

Filled the shocks with nitrogen today. Rides way better. Stiffer on all around driving and cornering. Raised it about an inch or so. Noticeable from my point of view.

Quick picture at work. Measured 45" from ground to fender in the front and 44" ground to fender in the rear.

Now I need to cut up the rockers and get some good clearance like Greg's. I also picked up a 41 tooth speedo gear I'll be wiring up within the next couple days. We will see how close it is. It should be close according to a tj spec. Used the gear chart just to hopefully get close.
Tecksmith used a cool little inline calibrator to make the final adjustments - $80 bucks or so

Sent from iPhone
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #576
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I can use the 41 tooth gear and see how far it is off. And adjust accordingly to it being to fast or too slow by getting a different speed gear with less or more teeth.

I haven't found anyone with the same combo I have to base the correct teeth off of.
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #577
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
I can use the 41 tooth gear and see how far it is off. And adjust accordingly to it being to fast or too slow by getting a different speed gear with less or more teeth.

I haven't found anyone with the same combo I have to base the correct teeth off of.
You used a 231 right ? Grey goose and another from Illinois both used 231s since the drive shaft will be spinning 3 times faster with those gears you are going to need an electronic calibrator defiantly. Other folks just dealt with it being off.

Sent from iPhone
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #578
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
You used a 231 right ? Grey goose and another from Illinois both used 231s since the drive shaft will be spinning 3 times faster with those gears you are going to need an electronic calibrator defiantly. Other folks just dealt with it being off.

Sent from iPhone
Depends on how you do the speed sender. The different speedo gear is what adjusts the signal on the TJ style speed sensor.

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #579
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Yes a 231. The different tooth gears send different signals to the PCM (in my case the abs module). More teeth will show a faster speed. No need to buy that Dakota speed calibrator when a different tooth gear does the same thing.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #580
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm

Depends on how you do the speed sender. The different speedo gear is what adjusts the signal on the TJ style speed sensor.

Quote:
Yes a 231. The different tooth gears send different signals to the PCM (in my case the abs module). More teeth will show a faster speed. No need to buy that Dakota speed calibrator when a different tooth gear does the same thing.
Yes but remember that your output shaft is spinning 5x per one revolution of the axle shaft. Since the wj takes the reading off the tone ring of the axle shaft and not the driveshaft you will not be able to compensate teeth to make up the difference. 5.13:1 vs 3.73:1 stock

Sent from iPhone
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #581
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Yes but remember that your output shaft is spinning 5x per one revolution of the axle shaft. Since the wj takes the reading off the tone ring of the axle shaft and not the driveshaft you will not be able to compensate teeth to make up the difference. 5.13:1 vs 3.73:1 stock

Sent from iPhone
I'll be curious to see how the speed reads. The WJ does reed off the axle shafts, with 43 or 48 teeth on it. I don't know the actual gear reduction within the teeth of the transfer case output. It could be way off or it could be close. Just comes down to how many pulses the computer gets per revolution
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #582
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I get what you're saying, but I don't think its a 1-1 relationship. I may be mistaken though, but I think the guys on mallcrawlin were able to use the same tooth gears as TJs to get the right speed.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #583
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

OK, followed the thread to wire the speedo, still not working.

Speed sensor in with 41 tooth gear.

Orange to black
And white/orange to brown

And connected terminal 3 and 5 at the cab harness.
White/orange to green.

And still no signal.
From ground to orange I'm getting 5v
And ground to white/orange I'm getting 12v
And this is just key on not moving.

Where am I going wrong?
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #584
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think the thread mentioned some of the colors may be different depending on year.

Did you ground the vss?

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #585
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...uirement/page2

According to this, it should be working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.