mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #496
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc
I may have to do something like that. But a fuel cell is more aestheticly pleasing to the eye. Ha
Lol ugly yes but us poor folk just have to deal

Plan is to build a cover around it ... Or get a fuel cell

Sent from iPhone

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #497
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Quote:

buy my 12"s. i found a place with hella good deals on fox and king coilovers, emulsion, reservoir and piggybacks. might have to go 16" in the front and move the 14"s out back that will be decided later. that would also make me go into the body in the back, darn, time to cage it
That is fairly tempting. Don't have the money now but once fire season hits I'll have some more cash. My travel in the front is only limited by the shocks now so I really want to run shocks or coilovers into the engine bay. Need to take full advantage of the 3 link.
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #498
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrskey View Post

That is fairly tempting. Don't have the money now but once fire season hits I'll have some more cash. My travel in the front is only limited by the shocks now so I really want to run shocks or coilovers into the engine bay. Need to take full advantage of the 3 link.
Fire season started down here SoCal last week.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #499
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Marc the fancy crossmember might have to be an upgrade to come later after some more exhaust clearance is made, that is one of the lowest hanging spots in the area the crossmember needs to occupy haha.

Scarrskey, go coilovers for sure. On my WJ, I've got 14" shocks front and rear but I'm limited by my springs now. I have it set up so at full stuff I am just near the shocks max uptravel, and I put limit straps to stop the axle when the springs unseat like .5", unseating springs don't help much. But the springs unseat with like 1" and change left in the shocks, so I'm only able to pull about 13" travel out of the springs using everyhing they've got.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #500
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Ryan, just do it. Coilovers will be such an upgrade. You can go for a ride in mine and see how you like it.

And Greg, we can work something out for the next round of work. More protection. Bumpers, higher cross member, full hydro Hahah. Jk, maybe.

On the other hand, I found out my civic isn't a good recovery vehicle. Buddy of mine got stuck in the snow up bowman lake, 5 miles down a dirt and rocky road. And since no jeep, had to take the civic. Anyways, I was rallying trying to get to my friend before dark with a shovel. Jumped it a few times, smashed oil pan, subframe, exhaust, body. Everything. Parked it that night and woke up to a puddle of oil. Drove to work after adding oil and racked it. Stripped oil pan drain bolt, dented the subframe to ****, exhaust was beat, and my muffler fell off and was only being supported by the rubber exhaust hangers. Hahah. Good night for sure though.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #501
W2001J
1993 ZJ 

Marc ill tow that civic to the scrap yard.

Build Thread
W2001J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #502
W2001J
1993 ZJ 

You know I have a truck that would have done far better?

Build Thread
W2001J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #503
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I'm fixing it and selling it soon. **** it.

You were probably at work or something.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #504
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake

Scarrskey, go coilovers for sure. On my WJ, I've got 14" shocks front and rear but I'm limited by my springs now. I have it set up so at full stuff I am just near the shocks max uptravel, and I put limit straps to stop the axle when the springs unseat like .5", unseating springs don't help much. But the springs unseat with like 1" and change left in the shocks, so I'm only able to pull about 13" travel out of the springs using everyhing they've got.
After more thought coilovers do seem the most logical route by far. Although droop is limited by the shocks in my rig right now the coil is unseated and more droop at that point is useless. Slightly more uptravel would be nice but not worth new shocks or cutting into the engine bay when I know I won't be satisfied. I really don't know if I can justify putting coilovers on my Dana 30 though instead of upgrading to at least a 44.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #505
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
After more thought coilovers do seem the most logical route by far. Although droop is limited by the shocks in my rig right now the coil is unseated and more droop at that point is useless. Slightly more uptravel would be nice but not worth new shocks or cutting into the engine bay when I know I won't be satisfied. I really don't know if I can justify putting coilovers on my Dana 30 though instead of upgrading to at least a 44.
Buy my front axle and I'll get a 609 and I'll go full hydro.

Eaton e locker, 5.38s, maybe chromo shafts later. High steer.
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #506
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

$50 cool? Haha. I would love that front end. How hard is it to convert an 8 lug to 5?
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #507
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWyatt View Post
My buddy is planning a Rubi trip on the 15th of June I believe. Anyone know if Strawberry will be open this year?
Strawberry may open to midway. Maps were just updated on forest website. Dirt road closure is lifted
1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
sdmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #508
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Rancho Cordova pick n pull has a clean azz wj right now. Interior is like 9.5 out of ten and the body is in good condition too. It's got factory tow hooks. I know it's your build thread, but since you're local, figured Id let everyone in here know about it. If you need anyone parts
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #509
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
$50 cool? Haha. I would love that front end. How hard is it to convert an 8 lug to 5?
You can convert it to 5x5.5 relatively easy. Using f150 outers. It would narrow if to 65.5" I think. Its all over pirate. Go big, full width.

Track bar mount welded up.

Greg's pretty good at stackin dimes.

Unread 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #510
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Quote:

You can convert it to 5x5.5 relatively easy. Using f150 outers. It would narrow if to 65.5" I think. Its all over pirate. Go big, full width.
I've done very little research on it but I'll check it out. I need 5 lug because my jk 44 is here to stay. With the Detroit and chromo shafts that should be plenty for my dub pushing 37's. I could get adapters to convert the 5 on 5.5 to 5 on 5 no problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.