mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > mtnmarc's '99 WJ build thread

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #421
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc
I really don't plan on every towing anything with this anymore. Maybe a jet ski or two a few miles on the back roads to some near by lakes. Its soon to be a dedicated wheeler, the stock tow package is just for recovery at this point, I broke the trailer plug in at the Rubicon. It acted as a good skid point. Haha.

Before bumpers and winch, I need to plan for hydro assist. That needs to come before July.
It's all how you want to set it up - trail - expedition - dd

I plan on towing stuff so I need to make sure everything is safe

Btw those flat top knuckles look good - did they come with the front axle ?

Sent from iPhone

Unread 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #422
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Flat tops came with the axle. Just had one side milled for high steer studs. I started to paint them, that's just primer in the pictures. They will end up being a dark grey, the same color as the links and beadlock rings.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #423
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Flat tops came with the axle, unfortunately Marc might only using one of them. I set the front axle up in mockup today, the tie rod only had 4.5-5" uptravel from ride height before getting into the oil pan. Neither of us were to keen on the idea, and you can't push the axle far enough forward to clear without moving the steering box so it's getting the same setup as my 609. I'm redrilling the factory tie rod location and reaming it to accept the TRE from the top. Clearance will be tight, as in I wont be able to have a grease zerk installed on the tie rod TRE's heh. Many bonuses gained here though: Factory ackerman retained for sharp cornering, ability to reposition drag link on the steering arm for tighter steering radius, track bar locating for optimal geometry becomes easier. It's a winning situation all around, and personally think it's goint to be hard to hurt the tie rod even with it lower than true high steer. My tie rod uses the same TRE's, in the same location with the same diamter and thickness tube...It can take a beating haha.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #424
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Flat tops came with the axle, unfortunately Marc might only using one of them. I set the front axle up in mockup today, the tie rod only had 4.5-5" uptravel from ride height before getting into the oil pan. Neither of us were to keen on the idea, and you can't push the axle far enough forward to clear without moving the steering box so it's getting the same setup as my 609. I'm redrilling the factory tie rod location and reaming it to accept the TRE from the top. Clearance will be tight, as in I wont be able to have a grease zerk installed on the tie rod TRE's heh. Many bonuses gained here though: Factory ackerman retained for sharp cornering, ability to reposition drag link on the steering arm for tighter steering radius, track bar locating for optimal geometry becomes easier. It's a winning situation all around, and personally think it's goint to be hard to hurt the tie rod even with it lower than true high steer. My tie rod uses the same TRE's, in the same location with the same diamter and thickness tube...It can take a beating haha.
Interesting. I'm going to probably be in there same boat. I have original knuckles and flat tops for both sides, will have to see what kind of clearance I'm looking at once I get the suspension set up.

I like that y'all are a couple weeks ahead of me in the build process. I get to learn from your experiences.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #425
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Honestly high steer and flat tops works for your average daily driver/mild wheeler. This is because most people are limited on uptravel by bump stops, shocks, tires or a combination of all 3. I know from talking with Marc from the beginning of this build that he wants this thing to be an outright capable wheeling rig, and wants to squeeze the maximum performance out of it possible. I took that as a challenge, I know what these WJ's are capable of from my own experiences, but there are still things on my rig that I want to go back and modify to improve performance more and more. Starting with a mostly clean slate with this build has let me take everything into account that I would prefer on my own jeep.

Because he's looking for all the performance this thing is capable of, we're making sure he has all of the uptravel we can pull out of this front axle. In the long run some extra inner/outer fender reworking might be necessary for tire clearance, but having 6" uptravel in the rear and 6-7" uptravel in the front with decent geometry is quite honestly incredible to ride/drive in. Even my jeep for example, has 6" uptravel front and rear but I'm running a mostly unmodified claytons suspension, clayton 6" coils and bilsten shocks. The front end package we're building for Marc's jeep is everything I want mine to be with the 3 link and 14" coilovers. Once it's been on the road for a while, I told Marc I want to start tuning the valving in the coilovers, start gaining experience in that area as I want to get the most out of any suspension.

Anyways, off of that tangent Here are some pics to keep ya all interested. First pic here is the axle around ride height, with 5" between tie rod and oil pan

Near full compression, 1" left before tie rod contacts oil pan. Once the tie rod is out of the way, we get a couple more inches

Here's where the UCA is going to run

Then you guys even get to see some Marc hasn't even seen

Pulled the pitman arm off today which gave a HELL of a fight, drilled and reamed it to accept the 1 ton TRE

And rebuilt the steering. What I had cut for the tie rod got cut again and turned into the drag link, then I cut a new tie rod as it needs to be longer to use the OEM knuckle bolt holes

And cut and made lower control arms. I bolted them in at the end of the day along with the steering, only things left to cut out are UCA and track bar which will happen tomorrow. Then I get to tack things in place and cycle the suspension
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #426
adavis39
2002 WJ 

not impressed
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #427
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Mmmmm.... beef.

Was gunna order the tmr customs inserts, but it was like $35 to ship 2 little pieces to my house. Later found out they were in Canada, ay. Hahahah. So ballistic is the only other place I've seen that makes them.... kinda sketched about their reputation still.

Advanced adapter sye coming soon, along with drive shaft parts and 16" coils.
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #428
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc
Mmmmm.... beef.

Was gunna order the tmr customs inserts, but it was like $35 to ship 2 little pieces to my house. Later found out they were in Canada, ay. Hahahah. So ballistic is the only other place I've seen that makes them.... kinda sketched about their reputation still.

I heard the owner is real good to deal with .. .. No personal experience though

Sent from iPhone
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #429
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Mmmmm.... beef.

We can get them from Ruffstuff. Ruffstuffs are the split kind, which means they are probably better not welded in, just using compressive forces to expand them. No personal experience, but we can talk with the guys over there about them!

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/.../inssteer.html
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #430
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Poly bushings right? What about johnnyjoints?

Sent from iPhone
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #431
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Poly bushings right? What about johnnyjoints?

Sent from iPhone
for what/where? Marc's suspension is all 1.25" and 3/4" heims (including track bar), and the steering is all 1 ton TRE's
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #432
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

No bushings! Ready for a quiet ride :-)

Thanks Greg, I must have missed those. I'll have David pick some up when he goes down there.
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #433
W2001J
1993 ZJ 

I have the ruff stuff inserts. I can pick em up no problem. I was just there today.

Build Thread
W2001J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #434
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Well thanks for telling me fool.

Gotta finish yours too. Or at least work on it again. I should be free this Wednesday if your open.
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #435
W2001J
1993 ZJ 

Yes I'm free....

Build Thread
W2001J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.