MrVH's build thread... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > MrVH's build thread...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
MrVH
1999 WJ 

MrVH's build thread...

I bought a 1999 WJ a couple of years ago and have been slowly modifying it. I just painted some of the cladding today and I've got some rims coming this week and a roof rack, so I thought I'd start posting some pics.

So this is what it looked like stock when I bought it:

I put a Westin Safari light bar on it with some PIAA lights. A friend of mine borrowed my WJ and it came back with brand new Michelin LTX M/S 10 ply tires on it. They oversized what I already had on there (245/75/16) to 265/75/16. So I put a 2 inch BB lift to try to compensate a bit for the some of the rubbing.

Now, about 5 months since then I've got some rims coming this Wednesday. Some black ATX Storm Teflon 16x8's.

They have about an inch less backspacing than the stockers so the tires are going to start rubbing a lot more now obviously so I've decided to trade them in on some smaller ones. I'll be putting on some LTX A/T2 245/75/16's

My local tire shop gave me a good deal, I think, on trade. I have to pay $42 per tire, mounted, to upgrade/downsize (new tires are $277 list per).

I do some wheeling here in the mountains of BC (have some pics int he scenery thread), but I also use this as my daily driver so I need a tire that's gonna last and ride adequately so I went for the A/T2 which also kinda of still honours the tires I was given .

So as I mentioned I've started to paint the claddings today. I'm going to try and paint the bumpers tomorrow if I can find the time.

I research a bunch on the forums here as to what kind of paint to use and it seems like most are in agreement with Krylon Fusion so that's what I went with.

This is before I started. I just washed it at the car wash and then cleaned it with a rag:

I taped it off (rather than removing it):

And gave it five thin coats. It was 40c (104f) here today so it dried incredibly fast.

And here's what it came out like. I was very pleased!

So this Wednesday The new tires and rims will be on. Can't wait .

The Rola Roof Rack that I ordered was backordered but it supposedly ships out on July 30th. A pointer for Canadians, if you are looking to buy a Rola, buy it from UHaul's website ($179US)! It is American but they will still ship it for FREE! It's the only website I found that will ship to Canada for free. I tried etrailer.com ($159) but it was around an additional $110 for shipping (the cheapest other than UHaul). With UHaul I will still have to pay the duties on it but that should be less than $40 or so I figure.

In the next 6-10 months I'd like to increase to a 4inch lift, so that's the next major upgrade!

'99 WJ Laredo 4.7L V8, 4" Zone lift, ATX Storm 16x8 (5" bs), BFG All Terrain A/T 245/75/16, Westin Brush Guard, Rola roof rack
MrVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
patrick02wj
2002 WJ 

painting that cladding always makes a huge difference but that black and maroon looks really good, keep it up
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Maybe you posted this but I skimmed. So what kind of 4inch are you looking at getting?
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
MrVH
1999 WJ 

Well, I'm not quite to the shopping stage for the 4" yet, but I'm looking at the RC X-series kit.

I finished painting the bumpers today. I left them on to paint them, but I did take the grille and headlights out to paint the front and took the taillights out to paint the rear.

The rear bumper was really pitted and chewed up from rocks on both sides at the bottom so I sanded before I painted them. It got rid of the roughness but there's still a lot of pitting. I'd be sanding for days to get rid of all of it so I decided it would have to do.

So some pics!

It's a bit glossier than I thought "satin" would be but I'm assuming it'll dull a bit over the next week.

Now for the rims on Wednesday .

'99 WJ Laredo 4.7L V8, 4" Zone lift, ATX Storm 16x8 (5" bs), BFG All Terrain A/T 245/75/16, Westin Brush Guard, Rola roof rack
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
bumzo1
2005 WK 

love the black trim
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVH View Post
Well, I'm not quite to the shopping stage for the 4" yet, but I'm looking at the RC X-series kit
Great kit. I have it and have no complaints. Definatly recommend it. I love your jeep by the way. The color scheme is amazing. Im a South Carolina Game****s fan and those are my team colors
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
patrick02wj
2002 WJ 

not going against what willmcd is saying but people that look at the rcx kit usually like to compare it with the zone kit, i however do not have either so i cant give my opinion, yet...
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick02wj View Post
not going against what willmcd is saying but people that look at the rcx kit usually like to compare it with the zone kit, i however do not have either so i cant give my opinion, yet...
Both kits are great and either one you choose you will be happy with.

Unread 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
MrVH
1999 WJ 

The more I look at the black the more unimpressed I am at how glossy it is, which is not what I wanted. I used Krylon Fusion SATIN Black but it is so much more glossy than any of the others I've seen on the forums here. Does it dull quite alot over the first few days? I did it on a very very hot dry day (+100F, each coat was totally dry within 1 minute) so I thought I would even lose more gloss because of that but it turns out that that didn't effect it at all.

I hadn't posted any images of what it looked like in the sun, but here's one... notice how incredibly black (and glossy) it looks...

Am I crazy here or what?

Unread 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I think it looks great. I did my front bumper and grille with the rustoleum. I have a thread with the pictures. I wish I could post them here but my computer died and I am using a new laptop. If I remember the thread is called some exterior mods.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
patrick02wj
2002 WJ 

matches the shiny maroon paint, i personally think it looks good
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
stratons_tj
2000 WJ 

As far as the Satin goes, I thought mine was wayyy to shiny when I did it...however it slowly started to tone down.

Try not to get any scratches or spill gas on it either for about the first week or 2 so the paint can fully absorb into the plastic.

Lemme try to find the link to my WJ when I painted it.
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
stratons_tj
2000 WJ 

Here it is.....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...inside-994288/

I De-Ambered my Headlights while I was at it too.
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
stratons_tj
2000 WJ 

Welp nvm I thought I had pictures on there that were a couple months after I painted it...guess that doesn't really help you then.
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #15
MrVH
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the kudos on the looks of the black, and thanks for the confirmation that it will tone down a bit though stratons_tj.. appreciate it .

So I've been doing some research on the 4" kits. I should really stop reading about it because I almost had my wallet out today and I really should NOT be buying it right now. But anyways... I think I'll be deciding between the RC-X or the Zone. Truthfully, right now, I'm leaning towards the Zone mainly because it ships out of Vancouver, BC which is just a few hours from me and I can get it shipped for free. Everything else, that I've found anyways, ships from the States and that just adds huge shipping charges and massive duties. So with all else being fairly well equal, the Zone kit trumps the RC-X for me for that reason.

One question, if anyone chooses to answer.... I've been reading alot about the front driveshaft and 4" lifts on the WJ. I have a '99 so its got the rez-rez driveshaft. Some people are saying at 4" lift "holy heck, change it!", others are saying "recommended, but not required". As I said before, this is my DD, but I do wheel every couple of weekends, but nothing too extreme... mountain trails, some rough rocky paths, all taken slowly and steadily, this will be no big extreme rock crawler or mudder.

If I put the transfer case drop in so it's really only a 3" lift on the case, should it be fairly reasonable to leave the CV shaft alone? I understand it may wear a bit faster, but it's only 1 inch more than the BB I have on now.

Not trying to cheap out, I'm sure I'll be getting a SS and swaybar links as well, but I don't want to spend hundreds more on a double cardan driveshaft if I really don't 'have' to.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.