Montaska's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Montaska's Build Thread

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Montaska's Build Thread

I used to have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee when I was stationed in Alaska with the Army. It was a great Jeep and made the trip from Fairbanks, AK down to Bozeman, MT without any issues. About 5 months after getting here, it started to die in traffic. I took it to the Stealership and they said the CEL code could be a multitude of things, and the only way for them to know for sure was for it to 'completely die' whatever that means. I needed a reliable vehicle to make the 4 hour commutes to my cabin, and the 6 hour commutes to my parents, so I cut my losses and traded it in for a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (aka 'Slowbaru'). Although the Impreza is an outstanding car for the snow and ice, it obviously lacks hauling capabilities and the ability to go over crappy terrain to get to good hiking spots. And thus, the 1997 ZJ was purchased. I probably paid a little more than I should for a vehicle with so many issues, but it's a project Jeep and I knew I'd be throwing money at it. I figure someday every part but the chassis will have been replaced.

I used to do some fairly basic bolt on stuff to my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse and 1972 Alfa Romeo while I was in high school, but I didn't really get into working on larger vehicles until I had the 'privilege' of riding around in this and working on it for 5 years:

I figured I will update this first post with what all has been replaced.

Updated 3/13/2013

New/Replaced:
- Tie-Rod, drag link, ends.
- Front swaybar end links
- Track bar
- Rear swaybar & endlink bushings
- Steering gearbox
- Unique black steel wheels
- 30" Yokohama AT/S tires
- Battery
- Battery cables
- Kenwood head unit
- JVC Speakers
- Rancho RS5000 Shocks
- Sparkplugs
- Subwoofer
- Rancho Steering Stabilizer
- Lower Control Arms
- 1.5" Wheel Spacers

Future:

- New brakes
- Kolak 3" Exhaust
- White Monstaline hood, bumpers, and cladding.
- Roof rack (http://www.discountramps.com/roof-ra...42f9625c004421)
- 3.5" Lift
- Protofab Front Bumper
- Protofab Rear Bumper

Day I got it

Most current exterior image

Cheers

Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

if its in the budget go for the adjustable if you plan to lift higher then 2".

so far what you're talkin about is pretty much bolt on, but dont wait to do an alignment if you plan on driving it.

align it after you modify anything in the front steering or suspension system. dont want to stumble into DW.

you can do a home job alignment with a tape measure, 1/8th toed in in the front.

good luck man
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sweet, thanks for the info! I have to wait a little while for my school refund check to come back until I can order the parts. Right now I'm looking for little things to fix in the mean time. I replaced the blown hatch shocks and may debadge it. May also Plastidip the ugly wood interior trim.

For wheels I'm thinking about getting a set of Cragar Black Soft 8's and then a set of 30" Big O Bigfoot Tires. I want 31" but I heard they rub, and I don't have the equipment to trim it, right now. Hopefully the wheels, tires, and steering junk will be ready to go by October!

Last edited by Montaska; 08-25-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, while the Jeep is in the garage waiting for me to get the money to order the parts (view the fiasco here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n.../#post14135607), I've decided to do what I can while it's immobile.

I ordered a bunch of stuff to paint the rock chips and fender skid that the PO had done. While I'm waiting on the paint I've marked the small chips with blue painters tape so I don't overlook it.

Today I went ahead and started to debadge the Jeep. I'm going to have a black/white theme so the gold just doesn't fit. I also need to figure out how I'm going to get rid of the ugly pinstripe... probably paint as it seems painted on. Ideas?

Unread 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Jerbear0612
1995 ZJ 

Dang your jeeps clean!
Jerbear0612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I have a black zj with gold pinstrip, I thhhink if you heat up the strip enough it'll peal off, like with a blow dryer. OR just white pinstrip over it. I did that with the black.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
denk72
1995 ZJ 

Look on youtube on how to remove painted on pinstripes. I took mine off my zj cause i was doing the black and white too so the gold had to go. It works but it takes forever.
denk72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go to O'Reilly's tomorrow and pick up a pin-stripe removal wheel.

In other news, the paint and stuff I ordered should be here by Friday, so next weekend will be devoted to painting!

Edit: Picked up the wheel, but my cordless drill doesn't have enough juice or RPMs for the wheel to work. Looks like I'll be going to Lowes and getting a corded drill.
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Paint Day!

Well, my painting supplies from Automotive Touchup arrived, today.

Before:

First Coat:

Tough Gouge:

After:

Everything cost me about $100, but honestly I didn't even end up using the giant thing of Bondo that I ordered (I did everything with the touchup tube I bought). I'm still doing the left side where the PO hit a barricade or something, and am also doing the clear coat. For my first time doing this, I think I did a pretty good job. It doesn't have to be perfect, since it is a ZJ, but I was tired of the unsightly rust spots. I also touched up the mirrors where there were a lot of pinholes.

My biggest issue was that I forgot to 'blend' the paint instead of masking it off. Fortunately I caught it in time and was able to still blend.

Overall I am 100% satisfied with the spray-can autopaint from Automotive Touchup and am going to order another can to do my daily driver Impreza.

New steering stuff comes Monday. Something was drop shipped but Morris 4x4 didn't tell me what so I guess I'll find out if I can do most of it on Monday, or if a major component is coming seperately.
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Tie-Rods showed up, today, so I've started the work. I got all the nuts off the old tie-rods, but am having a hell of a time getting them off. 15 years will do that. So the bolts are soaking in WD-40 and tomorrow I will see if O'Reileys has that thingiemajig to pry them off.

No word on the track bar or sway-bar end links.

Jeep also wont start, now. Battery is likely dead from having the door open so long to fix the handle, but I'll take it down to O'Reileys sometime this weekend and have them check it out. Not in a rush as the Jeep will be garaged until the sway bar end links and track bar come in, anyway.

My new electric impact wrench is sweet, though
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, I used the pitman arm remover from O'Reily's and got everything off. Went to bolt up my new tie rods and... It's for RHD. I have to call Morris4x4 in the morning and see if they'll give me a refund. They should considering it didn't specify that it was for RHD. Bummerito! Oh well, this will give me time to do the swaybar end links and track bar.

Edit: Contacted Morris4x4 and they are paying for me to ship the wrong part back and they will ship me the new part. Impressed with their customer service.

Edit again: Upon installing the swaybar end links... they're for the Cherokee. Morris4x4 has too many items screwed up on their website.
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Alright, it's been a long and annoying journey but I'm proud to say the steering install is complete, as my new swaybar end links arrived, today. I've ordered 30" AT/S tires and 15" black Cragar wheels that should be here in about a week.

There's no power to the Jeep, however. No lights come on, nothing. Even though my voltage meter has the battery in the yellow, I think the battery is just dead. I'm going to go get a battery charger, tonight, and charge it up. I can't really drive the Jeep a whole lot until I get everything aligned when my new tires and wheels come in. At least I can back it out of the garage, so my girlfriend can park in there and keep her SUV warm.
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Looking good man! I look forward to watching this build, hope you get it up and running soon!

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I'll snap a picture later of it with the new wheels and tires. Had to trim the bumper a little bit but they fit. I've been driving it around a little bit and so far so good. The steering is a little sloppy so I ordered a new steering box (mine was toast and wouldn't adjust) that should be here this week. I also have new swaybar bushings and rear swaybar endlinks coming in that I'll throw on, and new speakers & headunit also should arrive today.

I need to order wheel spacers as my 30" tires rub on my control arm, but I'm unsure of what to get so that will be later on down the road lol.

So, here is what my plans are for the future:

- Spidertrax Wheel spacers
- Bilstein 5100 Shocks
- Iron Rock Off Road 3" Exhaust
- Rebuild transmission
- Rebuild engine
- Take off gold pinstripe
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.