Modest Suspension Upgrade - Have a Look - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Modest Suspension Upgrade - Have a Look

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
pat85
2001 WJ 

Modest Suspension Upgrade - Have a Look

Just completed some suspension work. Wasn't looking to go big yet, just a little extra to get me by. Went with Up Country springs, new isolators, .75 Rough Country front leveling spacers. After that, felt that it looked a touch rear heavy so I put in OME 10mm spacers in the rear. Really like the stance now. I have 245/65/17 tires on there now but I think I could go to a 265/65/17 pretty easily. But these tires are new so they'll have to do for now.

Wanted to post this because the more I search the old threads the more I see guys looking for something under the 2in budget boosters.

Also, wanted to show off the bumper trim!

image-2627776551.jpg

image-3839714807.jpg

image-2235316586.jpg

Sold: 98 ZJ
pat85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
grussell
2001 WJ 

Looks good, what are your front and rear measurements from the ground to the bottom of the fender wells?
New 4.0 @ 165
grussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
pat85
2001 WJ 

Thanks! Didn't think to check. I'll let you know.
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
tauruspt2
2004 WJ 

Did you have to trim with the lift and tire/wheel combo or was it for a future lift?
tauruspt2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
braddf
2001 WJ 

looks nice. got any pics of it before the rear spacer? looks like it has a little rake now
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauruspt2
Did you have to trim with the lift and tire/wheel combo or was it for a future lift?
I did that before the suspension work for a couple reasons. I up sized the tires because I couldn't find factory sized ones that I liked and they rubbed the bumper. Also, until the bigger lift comes, I wanted the least amount bumper in front of my wheels. Lastly, I just really like the look.
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddf
looks nice. got any pics of it before the rear spacer? looks like it has a little rake now
Thanks! No, I didn't take any before the rear spacers. I hate taking pictures when I'm not 100% on the results. I know should, the journey is important. Yeah, it does have a little rake now, which I was wanting. Factory rake is excessive on almost any 4x4 IMO, but I like a little for when I'm loaded up.
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat85 View Post
I did that before the suspension work for a couple reasons. I up sized the tires because I couldn't find factory sized ones that I liked and they rubbed the bumper. Also, until the bigger lift comes, I wanted the least amount bumper in front of my wheels. Lastly, I just really like the look.
I did the exact same bumper cut as you, just be prepared for an increase in highway noise
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdowd6 View Post
I did the exact same bumper cut as you, just be prepared for an increase in highway noise
Worth It!
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat85 View Post
Just completed some suspension work. Wasn't looking to go big yet, just a little extra to get me by. Went with Up Country springs, new isolators, .75 Rough Country front leveling spacers. After that, felt that it looked a touch rear heavy so I put in OME 10mm spacers in the rear. Really like the stance now. I have 245/65/17 tires on there now but I think I could go to a 265/65/17 pretty easily. But these tires are new so they'll have to do for now.

Wanted to post this because the more I search the old threads the more I see guys looking for something under the 2in budget boosters.

Also, wanted to show off the bumper trim!
You say for people who want something under a 2 in budget boost but you are not! You might as well have fitted a two inch bb surely. You added an inch with uc, another three quarters with the first spacer plus three eighths with the 10MM spacer so you are up slightly higher than a bb! A bb would have less spacers too as I personally don't like more than one per spring.
Looks good though!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
You say for people who want something under a 2 in budget boost but you are not! You might as well have fitted a two inch bb surely. You added an inch with uc, another three quarters with the first spacer plus three eighths with the 10MM spacer so you are up slightly higher than a bb! A bb would have less spacers too as I personally don't like more than one per spring.
Looks good though!

I believe you're mistaken. Correct on the one inch from the UCs. But the 3/4 spacer is alone in the front and 10mm is alone in the rear. So I am still under the 2 inches. It seems that some have reservations towards 2inches of spacers whether its too tall for their liking, not trusting that much poly, or fearing poor ride quality. I think this setup is just right for those with that mindset.
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

My mistake. I misread that as 0.75 spacers front and rear! Looks taller than that!

Unread 03-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
My mistake. I misread that as 0.75 spacers front and rear! Looks taller than that!

That happens. It does look like there's more to it that what's actually in there but I am still anticipation a touch of settling. This was all done within the last week.
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Hey Pat, I found this thread by checking out your profile after you posted over in the other thread going on right now about UC springs. What shocks do you run? Also, looks like you carry a bunch of gear on those UC springs. Do they seem to hold up to added weight well? I'm thinking down the road if the bug ever bites me for a front hitch and/or sliders would these springs hold up to that sort of loading. Annnnd one more question...which RC spacer did you get? I can only seem to fine one for a JK on their site. Thanks man, love the Storm Trooper!
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
Hey Pat, I found this thread by checking out your profile after you posted over in the other thread going on right now about UC springs. What shocks do you run? Also, looks like you carry a bunch of gear on those UC springs. Do they seem to hold up to added weight well? I'm thinking down the road if the bug ever bites me for a front hitch and/or sliders would these springs hold up to that sort of loading. Annnnd one more question...which RC spacer did you get? I can only seem to fine one for a JK on their site. Thanks man, love the Storm Trooper!
Thanks Man!

I'm currently running KYB shocks. I put them in before I had any intention of turning this into a project and the OEMs were shot. They're holding up fine so far but Bilsteins or Doesch Techs are in my future. Just waiting for these to pop so I can justify it.

I don't think I'm carrying that much gear! But the UCs are handling it just fine, even when I've got the wife, two pups, and luggage...though I don't hit the back roads that loaded.

This is the RC spacer I have in the front:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-1060.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.