Moab 8/18-19 Mild built WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Moab 8/18-19 Mild built WJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Boover
1985 CJ7 

Moab 8/18-19 Mild built WJ

Heading out on a long road trip from Alabama in August. Was going to see if anyone was going to be in Moab around that time (18 & 19). I'll be mountain biking in the AM and out in the Jeep after lunch. Just looking for someone to run some trails with us. Makes me a little nervous being in the desert solo.

Also any recommendations on trails? I've got a pretty good idea of what I'd like to run, but always open to suggestions.

Build:
4.0, 242, 4.5" RC Long Arm, Rubicon take offs, rear vari lok, and I have an Aussie locker for the dana turdy on the ways.

(and I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, but I'd really like to wheel with some other Grands)

Unread 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Which trails did you have in mind already? Looking for more technical stuff ( obviously within the limits of your rig) or nice views/spots to hike, etc?
Unread 07-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Boover
1985 CJ7 

Heard lots of good things about Hells Revenge and Fins and Things. Really looking for some stuff that has enough challenges to make it interesting without feeling like I'm about to roll off a cliff to my death. Also need to be able to drive the Jeep home when it's all said and done. Basically just wanting to have a good time.
Unread 07-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boover View Post
Heard lots of good things about Hells Revenge and Fins and Things. Really looking for some stuff that has enough challenges to make it interesting without feeling like I'm about to roll off a cliff to my death. Also need to be able to drive the Jeep home when it's all said and done. Basically just wanting to have a good time.
Hell's Revenge is a must-do for anybody going to Moab. I personally like the first half of Fins after I've done a day on Hell's, and then I typically skip the 2nd half. Everybody has their own opinions, it really is a fun trail.

Dome Plateau has great views for average difficulty wheeling ( rated a medium difficulty) and I also love 7 Mile Rim, but it's a long trail. If you stop and take everything in you'll be 4-5 hrs there. More if you want to go check out Widowmaker Hill. You could run Poison Spider if you took a few bypasses and were careful with your lines a bit. The overlook shows you a really fantastic view of the city.

If you feel like driving a ways, hit up Elephant Hill. It's a 45 minute drive South of town, but it's one of my top 5 favorite trails with a narrows hike available, the confluence overlook of the Colorado and Green rivers, and good wheeling all day with a break in between on some sand roads while you find a lunch spot.

HTH
Unread 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I wouldn't do anything solo in Moab. Don't want to end up stranded on the trail. Hopefully someone is bringing another rig or you can find a group to tag along with.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
Boover
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT

Hell's Revenge is a must-do for anybody going to Moab. I personally like the first half of Fins after I've done a day on Hell's, and then I typically skip the 2nd half. Everybody has their own opinions, it really is a fun trail.

Dome Plateau has great views for average difficulty wheeling ( rated a medium difficulty) and I also love 7 Mile Rim, but it's a long trail. If you stop and take everything in you'll be 4-5 hrs there. More if you want to go check out Widowmaker Hill. You could run Poison Spider if you took a few bypasses and were careful with your lines a bit. The overlook shows you a really fantastic view of the city.

If you feel like driving a ways, hit up Elephant Hill. It's a 45 minute drive South of town, but it's one of my top 5 favorite trails with a narrows hike available, the confluence overlook of the Colorado and Green rivers, and good wheeling all day with a break in between on some sand roads while you find a lunch spot.

HTH
Thanks for the info! I definitely appreciate it. I can't wait to get out there!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.