McCloud's Niner Build/Rebuild Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > McCloud's Niner Build/Rebuild Thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
adavis39
2002 WJ 

dude....that 5.9 is NAAAAASSSSTTYYY!!!!! i hate seeing such a beautiful jeep get neglected like that. I'm glad your bringing it back to life......now off to craigslist to find one for myself

TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-crap-1399123/

"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
dude....that 5.9 is NAAAAASSSSTTYYY!!!!! i hate seeing such a beautiful jeep get neglected like that. I'm glad your bringing it back to life......now off to craigslist to find one for myself
It certainly has a lot of... character. Let's put it that way. But it also has a lot of potential. The WJ was allowed to get dirty, but only on the outside, and not for very long. Inside I always had a Swifter duster in the door panel and a detailing brush in the glove compartment. It never even got dusty in there. Someday the ZJ will be that clean.

Once the inside is tolerable, then comes the fun part. I don't really want to do a full engine rebuild because it is supposed to be a DD (I really hate driving my girlfriends Hyundai... It's too small and I feel gay driving it) but it's definitely getting some refreshing.

Shopping for component speakers tonight.

SOME GOOD INFO ON NINER FACTORY SOUND SYSTEM
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #33
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Piecing together a tentative sound system... All said and done, I'm trying to come in at under $500. I'm a baller on a budget. If I get too carried away, the sound system will cost more than the Jeep.

Head unit: JVC KD-X50BT, $95. Excellent reviews, reasonably priced, and has Bluetooth to boot.

Component speakers: 6) Pyle PL63BL 6.5-Inch 360-Watt 3-Ways, $100. Decent reviews, unbeatable price. I've run Pyle stuff before and it's not terrible. Going to have to dremel out the sound bar a little bit to get them to fit, but it should be ok.

Subwoofer: Infinity Reference 12". $70. I've had probably close to 20 different subwoofer set ups over the years. The Reference series was the most pleasing to the ear. Not really the loudest, but it just sounds good, man.

Subwoofer Amp: Renegade REN850S, $100. Renegade is RF's under rated bastard child. It's a really quality amp for the price of a Sony POS.

Tweeters: Still don't know...

Component Amplifier: Keeping the Infinity for now

And I'll be building the box for the subwoofer myself.
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #34
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ
Piecing together a tentative sound system... All said and done, I'm trying to come in at under $500. I'm a baller on a budget. If I get too carried away, the sound system will cost more than the Jeep.

Head unit: JVC KD-X50BT, $95. Excellent reviews, reasonably priced, and has Bluetooth to boot.

Component speakers: 6) Pyle PL63BL 6.5-Inch 360-Watt 3-Ways, $100. Decent reviews, unbeatable price. I've run Pyle stuff before and it's not terrible. Going to have to dremel out the sound bar a little bit to get them to fit, but it should be ok.

Subwoofer: Infinity Reference 12". $70. I've had probably close to 20 different subwoofer set ups over the years. The Reference series was the most pleasing to the ear. Not really the loudest, but it just sounds good, man.

Subwoofer Amp: Renegade REN850S, $100. Renegade is RF's under rated bastard child. It's a really quality amp for the price of a Sony POS.

Tweeters: Still don't know...

Component Amplifier: Keeping the Infinity for now

And I'll be building the box for the subwoofer myself.
Cool, i like audio projects!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #35
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

My girlfriend saw my old WJ on her way to work this morning. She took a picture and sent it to me

Unread 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #36
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Hey at least its still on the road! Someone a couple weeks ago posted that they saw theirs at the junk yard a couple months after selling it.

Thats cool your girlfriend is into it though. My girlfriend wants an XJ and she'll text me photos of cool ones she sees.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #37
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

No new pictures of the niner. I'm finally a Virginia resident, officially, so I'm going to order tags tomorrow. Vanity tags. I'm still split between MYNINER and HYBRDKLR.

Reading up on headliner replacement. And cheap carpet sources. If one of the junkyard ZJs carpet is in reasonably good shape, I'll pull it. Maybe a two tone interior? I know one of the Jeeps at the junkyard has a light grey interior. Light grey floor and headliner with dark grey seats? I also got five cans of Plastidip.

The wood trim in the inside is getting it first. I realize it's real wood and its nice and yadda yadda yadda. It's getting painted. Hood louvres and grill next. Then the rims. I'm going to replicate my WJ wheels because I really liked the way they turned out.

Unread 12-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #38
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Cool, have you thought about going the Wood in Carbon fiber vinyl, just an idea for you, like this>>
image-4064953122.jpg  
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #39
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Cool, have you thought about going the Wood in Carbon fiber vinyl, just an idea for you, like this>>
I was looking at the 3M brushed aluminum wrap.

Unread 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Cool, just make sure to use the 3M Brand, its awsome to work with.

Unread 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #41
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Pulled the trigger on a head unit, wiring adapter, new face plate, 100' of 16 gauge automotive speaker wire, and four door speakers.
Unread 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #42
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on a head unit, wiring adapter, new face plate, 100' of 16 gauge automotive speaker wire, and four door speakers.
Cool, i thought i bought to much speaker wire (50') lol, you plan to wrap your Jeep in speaker cable? Jkd.
The 3M vinyl Are deff awsome to work with, super easy, cant wait to see the result.

Unread 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Cool, i thought i bought to much speaker wire (50') lol, you plan to wrap your Jeep in speaker cable? Jkd.
The 3M vinyl Are deff awsome to work with, super easy, cant wait to see the result.
The 5.9 has 10 speakers. It's ALL getting rewired, so I wanted to make sure I had enough. How much wrap did you end up using?
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #44
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:

The 5.9 has 10 speakers. It's ALL getting rewired, so I wanted to make sure I had enough. How much wrap did you end up using?
Oh, i see, i didnt know.
There Are lots of info in a thread called interior bezel trim in wj section, there you can find (early in thread i believe) the size of the sheet i ordered, i ended up only using about half of that, but good to have alittle more than less, and some extra if you F up.
Good luck

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #45
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I'm Christmas shopping online tonight. I figure if I'm spending this much on other people, then dammit the Jeep deserves more stuff too! I just ordered the 3M wrap. 2' by 5' should be enough to do the trick and have some left over.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.