McCloud's Niner Build/Rebuild Thread - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > McCloud's Niner Build/Rebuild Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #301
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Didn't get it all done today. Pitman arm TRE ended up being a PITA. Took four hours, a couple dozen heat/reheat cycles with the butane torch, a pickle fork, a TRE puller, a 6 foot breaker bar, and TWO BFHs to get it off. I guess 230,000 miles on a part will do that. It's all off. New stuff is on, but not torqued. The wheels are aligned, but the steering wheel is still off. Wheels are painted. Shocks are painted. New Rancho SS is painted. It's a big mofo.

This is the only picture you get until the whole thing is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer
Do you know what kind of transmission that thing had. It never shifted.
It did too. I don't know exactly what it is. I know he has like a 2800 rpm stall. It's probably one of Martin Saines creations, but I really don't have any idea. It's set up to race. I know one of that guys ZJs is goes sub 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #302
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Got called into work yesterday and today. Jeep is still sitting in the barn in hover mode. Stuck driving the astro van all weekend.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #303
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

So. The good news. Steering linkage is done. New SS is in. Wheels are painted. New shocks are painted and installed. Everything is put back together.

Now the bad news... There isn't any! My front end clunks from the worn TREs are gone. The steering wheel has almost no play in it. The bump steer is gone. No DW yet (I only ever got it twice on the stock stuff, so here's hoping it's gone for good). She drives like a new car. Totally quiet except for the exhaust... Just the way it should be. Thanks Kolak!

Working in the barn was kind of a pain in the ***, but not bad. Just really dusty. I need a garage of my own.

Duplicolor wheel paint...

Cleaned, wetsanded, then cleaned again. The closest wheel in the picture had some drips in it. I had to re-sand and re-paint that one. LIGHT coats!

The lips got taped off for the initial paint. I need to take my Dremel and clean/polish the lips the way I want them.

I don't remember who it was that did a write up on painting the BACK of the wheels, but I stole that idea. They look better.

Out with the old!!!

In with the new!!!

All put back together. God damn does she need a bath after playing in the snow.

I like this better than the red...

Shot of the back end.
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #304
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Damn Good Job!!!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #305
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You gotta do something about that d35. I'm liking the wheel paint though, really good look for the niner wheels. If the paint on the vents holds up I may have to do the same to mine, the paint is almost gone on them.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #306
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
You gotta do something about that d35. I'm liking the wheel paint though, really good look for the niner wheels. If the paint on the vents holds up I may have to do the same to mine, the paint is almost gone on them.
Thanks. The 8.8 is coming... Don't worry. Good things come to those that wait. That's what I keep telling myself...
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #307
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Those wheels!!!!!
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #308
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
X2 with the paint! What color/brand/type of paint did you use?
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #309
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
X2 with the paint! What color/brand/type of paint did you use?
Duplicolor "high performance" rim paint. It's whatever flavor of grey metallic Advance has.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #310
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Just another day at the office.

EDIT. Hmmmm. An upside down day at the office. Stupid iPhone. Too late now.

DOUBLE EDIT. Does the picture look right side up to those of you in Australia?

image-654768913.jpg  
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #311
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Duplicolor "high performance" rim paint. It's whatever flavor of grey metallic Advance has.
Thanks! Gonna have to make a stop by Advance this after noon
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #312
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Saw the old dub again today. The dude still has my Jeepforum and VMI stickers on it. And my won't-pass-inspection-in-Virginia head and tail light tint. Glad it's not in a junk yard...

image-1214856666.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #313
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

"Well, gentlemen, were surrounded. There's no way they can get away from us now!"

-Chesty Puller

image-3561355676.jpg   image-4194500101.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #314
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

^^^^^ that bumper!!!!!
besides that lol great build!!! sorry about the PO treating you so badly, been there done that, still doing that!
Subscribed!
ThatONeJeePeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #315
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Good news: got the paint for the bumper and touch up stuff for the rest of it. Finally

Bad news: looks like the 408 is out. I went riding yesterday. I have to have another bike. Thats all there is to it. Looking for an air/oil cooled, carbureted bike in the 750-1100 cc range. Ideally an 86-93 GSXR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.