Making my ZJ Tow Worthy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Making my ZJ Tow Worthy?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
dm0326
1998 ZJ 

Making my ZJ Tow Worthy?

Hello All,

First post here! I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee with an I6. I do not have the tow package, and from what I understand from reading, I can only tow 2000lbs max if I don't make modifications. I have just recently purchased a 3300 lb trailer and I would like to be able to tow it with the ZJ. What can I do to my ZJ to make it tow worthy? I have heard rear air bags, tranny cooler, P/S pump replacement, new axle ration. Do you agree with these suggestions? I am not sure what I need to do. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by dm0326; 06-08-2010 at 07:41 PM..
dm0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

I think you have a XJ Cherokee, not a ZJ Grand Cherokee, or maybe the other way around. Either way, you have an Inline 6, not a V6.

Welcome to JF!

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
dm0326
1998 ZJ 

I have a ZJ Grand Cherokee, sorry for the confusion. New to these jeep terms.
dm0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

All you really need to do is install the correct Class 3 hitch and wiring harness. You could get a tranny cooler to be on the safe side and thats about it. I know plenty of people that have added a hitch and pull 4k ib trailers.
Changing the gear ratio would help a little but not really needed.

The biggest problem is braking but you get the same brakes from the factory regardless if you have the factory tow package.
Unread 06-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Once you add the hitch, add a big cooler for the tranny, and maybe a small one for the power steering. Other than that, you should be OK. Regearing the axles is optional, and for 3300 lbs, probably not needed.

Of course, being that ZJ brakes kinda suck, I wouldn't tow anything that heavy without trailer brakes, which, if electric, will require a brake controller.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.