LSRGreg's WJ Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > LSRGreg's WJ Build

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

thanks for the replys guys. I am a design and engineering manager at a manufacturing company, so yeah, i have access to all the toys.

G-

Unread 12-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #47
JC1390
2004 WJ 

your jeep has inspired me to start another wj project...anybody interested in an 09 dodge ram?

2002 TJ Claytons and everything else
JC1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #48
ShootgunSchmid
1999 WJ 

So i have a thought

It looks great, color.. to each their own. I had a blue w/bright yellow high lights tuner style car. Now it's a '99 Jeep, Mustang (summer only) and the wifies subaru. Now more to the point, I have a question, do you want to build my WJ for me when i go to Afghanistan for my second deployment? Said WJ currently has 1/4 of a million miles, 3" lift, Adico RSB, IRO over the knuckle Tie rod bar upgrade, K&N FIPK, Superschips Programmer, Full Borla Exhaust, Header (not installed yet). Full size spare 245/75R16 MT, upgraded brakes, slotted and dimpled rotors and one new caliper due to a bent axle which has been replaced aswell. Future Mods - Rebuild Tranny/Shift Kit, either Stroke the stock motor to 4.7 or just buy one from an engine builder, JK Dana 44's with lockers and what ever else you need to make this twisted idea work. Oh did i mention i drive it 1500-2000 miles a month. Do you think i am crazy and think i should just start with a V8? Did i mention i want to upgrade the front and rear bumpers too. What do you think? Any takers to help mentor a slightly missguided New Jeeper and Trail rider. It would spend most of its time in MN and the WI area.
287,xxx miles and counting.
MN Jeep Member #67
www.tributetothetroops.org
ShootgunSchmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #49
jeep360limited

ur dub looks so good, event the green IMO. that drawing you did for the shocks looks awsome as well
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #50
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootgunSchmid View Post
It looks great, color.. to each their own. I had a blue w/bright yellow high lights tuner style car. Now it's a '99 Jeep, Mustang (summer only) and the wifies subaru. Now more to the point, I have a question, do you want to build my WJ for me when i go to Afghanistan for my second deployment? Said WJ currently has 1/4 of a million miles, 3" lift, Adico RSB, IRO over the knuckle Tie rod bar upgrade, K&N FIPK, Superschips Programmer, Full Borla Exhaust, Header (not installed yet). Full size spare 245/75R16 MT, upgraded brakes, slotted and dimpled rotors and one new caliper due to a bent axle which has been replaced aswell. Future Mods - Rebuild Tranny/Shift Kit, either Stroke the stock motor to 4.7 or just buy one from an engine builder, JK Dana 44's with lockers and what ever else you need to make this twisted idea work. Oh did i mention i drive it 1500-2000 miles a month. Do you think i am crazy and think i should just start with a V8? Did i mention i want to upgrade the front and rear bumpers too. What do you think? Any takers to help mentor a slightly missguided New Jeeper and Trail rider. It would spend most of its time in MN and the WI area.
thanks for the service in our military, but i don't have the time to build your jeep for you. its a labor of love, and i barely have enough time to do it on my own jeep.

Good luck with the project, just remember it's always at least double the work you expect it to be!

G-
Unread 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #51
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

awesome, but i am a fan of the green personally. makes your rig stand out from all the others just a tiny bit more than it would otherwise. you put in all this work why not show it off right? if you hadnt of taken the green i think i would have. i really like it.

and i agree, start up your own builders site if your work will allow you to do that with their stuff. you have some serious skills.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #52
ShootgunSchmid
1999 WJ 

I thought as much, and i am fast discovering that its twice the ammount of work then i first thought. On that note. I am planning on upgrading to the bumper system your running. Two questions 1) where can i buy the bumpers w/hard where and 2) what do i need to upgrade to keep my current left level.?

Thank you,
MN Jeep Member #67
Unread 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #53
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootgunSchmid View Post
I thought as much, and i am fast discovering that its twice the ammount of work then i first thought. On that note. I am planning on upgrading to the bumper system your running. Two questions 1) where can i buy the bumpers w/hard where and 2) what do i need to upgrade to keep my current left level.?

Thank you,

You can get the bumper direct through me, Kevin's offroad, and Iceland offroad. all 3 places same price, and they all come with hardware, and mounting brackets.

There are some shipping costs involved depending on where you live. they will all ship from Mesa, AZ, and will take about 3 weeks since we have the holidays coming.

As for lift height, it depends on your springs you have now. They all seem to have slightly different rates between the brands of lift kits. The bumper weighs about 120 lbs (with no winch). so normally, that will lower the front about a half or 3/4 of an inch. so you can just get some coil spring spacers to make up for it.

My front end was really low to begin with, (about 1.5" or so) so when i got this bumper on with the winch, i needed a full 2" spacer to make the ride height level with the rear.

Thanks!

Greg
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #54
ShootgunSchmid
1999 WJ 

Sounds good, The spring i am running are OME HD 3" lift springs i got them from Nick(Kolak). I am cuurently running stock lenght shocks. That will change when it warms up. todays high 5 above, i woke up to a -3 below. I wont be running a whinch right away. So that wont be issue, till it goes in. I am thinking that if when everything is installed and it lower then i want i will just put a bigger lift then 3" may be 4.5" i dont know how much past i would do since i do do ALOT of hwy driving for work. Shipping wont be an issue as it wont be till after the new when i can order them. Thanks again, and when i start tearing into this i will have lots of questions.
MN Jeep Member #67
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #55
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

sounds good.
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #56
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Got the sway loc kit on from Off Road Only. I had to make my own mounts...

Old Vs New:

I thought i would be clever and mount the lever on the driver side, so i flipped it over. Turns out the drag link hits it before full lock, so i had to flip it back to how it was originally. I also had to put a bend into the lever on the driver side to clear the drag link at full steer.. so this is actually on the other side now.

Unread 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #57
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Then when i was out testing the shocks a few weeks back, i bent the front axle housing, just getting a little air, and running through the bumps.. i didn't even bottom out, and it was still bent. It was at about 4 degrees of caster per side, so i came up with this solution to get me by until i can afford a new axle! I was pretty shocked it bent so easily..

I bent it back using this method and a torch to heat up the axle tube, it cooled, and it got the outers perp to the ground again. I was a little worried i would ruin the housing, but it was already screwed up, so i didn't have much to loose!

It was also leaking out the axle seal on the long side, and since i bent it back, it doesn't leak any more!! So i think i will hack together a truss to get my by until i get a new axle.. suggestions??
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #58
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Here is the final instal on the sway lock.. got it flipped back, the mounts coated, and bent the link arm for clearance on the drag link at full steer:

It works really well.. its almost a little too stiff for the on road setting, and a little too stiff for the flex setting.. but i haven't had it out on the trail yet.. just driving around town.. so we'll see...
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #59
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

effing sweet !!! which one did u get the TJ sway lock or the JK sway lock to fit the WJ ?
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #60
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

Ditto?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.