LSRGreg's WJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > LSRGreg's WJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #31
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Did the Crown King backroad trail on sunday... its gotten a little rougher than i remember from 4-5 years back. Good times though. Made it up all the difficult bypasses pretty easily. I aired down the rear tires to 10 psi, and the fronts 13 to keep the steering a little easier. i only slipped a tire twice. not too shabby for no lockers.

Heres some pics:

found out i still have some more front fender trimming to do

LSRGreg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #32
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

So i finally got some time over the last week or so, to start working on my shock project. My whole goal with this rig was to be a "do everything" vehicle, and so far i am pretty happy. I can cruise the freeway at 85 mph, hit up the mall, and do pretty well on the trail. One of the main pieces to this puzzle is shocks. I have always wanted to get bypass shocks on a jeep, just never really had the resources to do it myself. But i do now. I spent some time measuring up my suspension, axles, tires, body and shock mounts so i could get an idea if i could actually fit some custom built bypass shocks on my rig, without dropping serious coin on shocks, only to find out they don't fit. I wanted to keep the fabrication low, and not have to cut into the engine bay, and move things like abs controllers, ecu's etc, and not cut into the cargo area, so that limited things a bit. I was hoping to fit some 14" travel units, but that just won't happen. I don't want to loose any uptravel, and i don't want to be any higher lift. So i will have to use 12" travel ones, and make some new lower shock mounts for the correct locations. I will be at 50% travel at ride height. with 6" up and 6" down travel. Which should be perfect for a mutlipurpose vehicle like this. It will do great in the desert at speed, ride smooth as glass on the street, and have plenty of articulation for the rocks.

Here are some snap shots of the 3d model i built. I will be using some 12" stroke Fox 2.0 3 tube bypass shocks, with custom bypass tube locations to squeeze into the limited areas i have to work with, all while using the factory upper shock mount locations.
I am running some 10 travel shocks now, so i will be getting even more travel & articulation that i am right now, so i am pretty happy with how it will perform! Especually with 6" of uptravel to absorb the bigger bumps at speed!

Here is a general shot.. the axle and tires are transparent...

side shot at ride height:

detail of front and rear

fully compressed:

fully extended:

articulated:

Next step is to order the shocks, then fab up some new lower mounts that are just a little lower than the stock ones..
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #33
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Got some more work done on the jeep...

I got my 4.56 gears installed by Desert Fab Motorsports in East Mesa. They also installed a Riddler front diff cover since they had it apart.

I also installed my tie rod flip kit yesterday as well. It went pretty easy. I also cut off the factory steering stablizer mount.

Here are the pics:

Tie rod before:

And after:

Riddler Cover:

Shocks should be here next week!
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #34
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Look what the UPS man dropped off today!!!!! HELLL YEAH!

I am just alittle excited. I am so tired of driving around on my hacked together shocks. I can wait to get these suckers mounted up!
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #35
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

sprayed the riddler cover, and added some green. haha

Got the rear shocks mounted up temporarily, until i fab up the new lower mounts to get them set up right.

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #36
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

I spent all day yesterday getting the shocks mounted. Here are the pics:
Laser cut mounts: (made from .188 4130 sheet)

I made a gusset doubler plate on the back upper.. probably pointless, but oh well.

Here are the front uppers:

Front Lower: (I cut out the factory one)

The longest part was cutting off the rear lowers. That was a serious pain, since they are located in between the rear control arm mounts. I had to use a saws-all, die grinder, 90 deg grinder, and a 4" grinder to get it all cut off..

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #37
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

So there it is.. all updated up to last night! I will add more info when i get to the mods.

The next thing is a dual rate sway bar i ordered from Offroad Only, and got some free LED rock lights for their black friday special. I am so sick of listening to my quick disconnet sway bar links clunk everytime i hit a bump!

G-
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #38
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

Dude....

My jaw just dropped. That is awesome.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

I think it is about time you started a web page for Grand build parts (hint hint)
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #40
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

not a bad idea.. so far i have coil spring retainers, and now some nice shock mounts!

G-
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #41
owenswj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Great build man. I wish I had the talent to build like that.
owenswj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #42
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

man you have done a great job with this build, love the green btw...
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #43
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRGreg View Post
not a bad idea.. so far i have coil spring retainers, and now some nice shock mounts!

G-
And a front bumper, (a future rear bumper/w tire swing ), Sliders

Those rear lowers could easily be modified into upper towers too.

And I get royalties for the Idea!

Unread 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #44
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Amazing rig. The green bead lockers have to go though, paint them to match the rim or something. While the green accents look okay on the suspension parts, it looks hideous on the wheels.
Unread 11-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #45
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I've never been a fan of the green at all, but the fab work and skill is top notch! What kind of job do you have? I'm assuming that you have access to all this metal and fab equipment through work...

I especially like the front upper shock mounts.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.