LSRGreg's WJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > LSRGreg's WJ Build

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

LSRGreg's WJ Build

I have been working on this sucker for a while, so i will start out at the beginning.. hope you enjoy and get some ideas for your own rig.

I have owned 2 ZJ's before this WJ, and had a full tube crawler, that i just sold a few months ago. So its time to build my ultimate do all rig.

It will be my daily driver, my run to moab doing 80, my medium duty crawler to run the trails with, my desert pre-runner, minor fun in the dunes and woops, my do everything vehicle. (at least that is the plan anyways)

The factory specs:
2004 WJ limited with 70k on the ticker
loaded including Nav.
4.7 HO motor
Quadra Drive
Black Crystal Metallic

The Mods so far:
Washer bottle re-location
242 swap with d-shaft

Mods for the immediate future:
Clayton 6" long arm kit
35" BFG KM2's
Walker Evans True Beadlocks with OMF rings
Fox Bypass shocks
TNT Customs Hi-steer kit with relocated track bar, and flipped tie-rod
Kevins Sliderz
Custom front bumper with 8000k winch (designed and fabbed by me)
major fender trimming

Mods further in the coming months:
Truss/Skid plate for Rear Alum 44 axle
Rear aussie locker or ARB, 4.56 gears

Front axle either swapped out for a dana 44 or polish up the terd a little bit... (mind you, not gonna be a "hard core" crawler)
Truss for Dana 30 up front
aussie or ARB, 4.56 gears
Alloy axles with 30 splines
Rear bumper and tire carrier

i think thats about it for now.

Here are some pics..
Just installed the clayton cross member, and will be welding it in this weekend.... the coils, arms and track bar, and other stuff will be getting powdercoated a special color.

Here it sits stock:

Here is the ZJ washer bottle relocation:

And the start of the claytons kit:

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Got the crossmembers cleaned up, and painted.

I had to remove the stock muffler already, just to get the brackets mounted, so i installed a flowmaster delta flow 40, with a turn down. Its pretty loud, so i will be adding the tail pipe once i get the clearances figured out with the arms installed.
I modded kevins sliders to get the outer brackets to fit, and trimmed the inner mounts to clear claytons crossmembers. just gotta drill the holes, and they will be ready for powdercoat.

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Finally got the parts back from coating.. here comes the lift:

I still need to finish cutting off the original control arm mounts, and get the driveshafts extended or different ones... then get real shocks, but its moving along. it lifted the front 7 3/4" and the rear 7". Its huge!
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Got the OEM control arm mounts cut off, welded the seams, then painted:

Then got Kevin's Sliderz mounted up. I stopped by harbor freight and got a cheap 90 degree angle drill, and cut my drill bit down, so drilling the holes was a snap. I highly recommend doing that if you install them.

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Finally got my wheels in today! Only problem is, they didn't come with the RAD valves i wanted, so i guess i will be adding those myself. Man these sucker are pure beef! 45 lbs each, and aluminum. No wonder they use them on trophy trucks!

No welds on these beads!

Now they just need some powdercoat treatment!
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Got some pics from the maiden wheeling voyage. Had a super nice weekend out in Box Canyon near Florence Junction, AZ
Here are some shots:
Testing out the flex to see how bad the tires are rubbing with the very minimal trimming i have done thus far:

Here is where we had to stick the rear spring back in, since they dropped out 3 times that trip: (left sway bar connected, so rear end did all the flexing, and since i still have the bastard shocks, there isnt' much holding back from serious droop)

Here is another spring drop:

Aired down to 18 psi:

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Finally got the wheels mounted. I spent all day yesterday adding the Monster Valves, and getting them mounted up. The center caps finally came today, so i will get those coated to match, and some new lug nuts when i get them balanced at discount. Even though, with no balancing, they run just like they did on the stock wheels, even at 70 mph on the freeway..

Here is a wheel with monster valve installed:

Here is the difference between a Monster Valve and a regular valve stem:

Little bit wider stance due to the 9" rim width versus the 7" stockers

The tires make a little more road noise now, but nothing annoying. Even without them balanced it drives great on the street.
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Ok.. another weekend went by with more work done..

Got the new track bar mount welded in and installed... as well as Kevins HD Tie Rod..

It drives like *** right now, since the drag link isn't flipped over yet, but i will be doing that tonight.. gotta rent a tie rod end puller, and do some drilling and reaming of my spindle and pitman arm.

I also fabbed and installed my coil spring retainers:

and i decided to use some exhaust clamps on the upper rears. LOL

I think i might vinyl dip the ends of the hook style ones, so they don't make noise..

I made 1 set of extras if anyone is interested.
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Got the steering drag link reamed out, and installed.. sort of. TNT sent me the wrong ends, and that made the drag link too short, so i sleeved it temporarily to get me around, until they send me the right parts.

a nicely reamed hole:

I had to remove the JKS sway bar link on the pass side, and grind down the mounting tab to clear at full lock. I will have to move the link up on that side by making a small bracket that raises the hole up an inch or so.

Drives a lot better now, but feels a little wobbley on the front end now. Its only been aligned by tape measure, so after i get the new correct drag link, and ends, i will get it aligned by a pro, and also get the wheels and tire balanced too. :eyeye:
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

yeah.. my end links are 1 ton units now.. so those won't work for my set up.. but most people they will ... i almost ended up doing that, but decided to go the 1 ton joints while i was at it, so i can get a lot more droop on the pitman arm.

I got the sway bar mounts moved up.. to clear the new steering at full lock..

I also machined up some spacers to move the sway bar end links away from the sway bar and mounting plates to keep them from rubbing and making noise...

I also flexed it a bit to see where i need to do some more trimming to the fenders.. here is a little i added to the front. I took off about 1" from that main lip, and pounded up near it to give it some more clearance at full steering lock, and tuck.

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Did some trimming today..

Before:

After:

then i found a little spot to flex it out, and see if i need to do more or not:

On the rear, i need to trim some more of the bumper.. but it should be good after that. the tire tucks into the fender, so i don't need to cut any sheet metal. I just folded up the lip inside with a baseball bat:

So i still have a little work to do.. gotta trim the rear bumper a little more, and get the back side of the front fender a little more.....
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

took the dub out to Sycamore Creek, and Saguaro Lake. Did the trail that goes from upper to lower sycamore, and then went to butcher jones and headed out to the lake from there. I did the big climb right near the cove, that heads up to the trail that goes out to finger the people jump off of. I barely even slipped a tire going up it. I am pretty impressed with these vari-lock diffs. I didn't think they would work as good as they do. Whenever i get a tire slipping, i just add a little brake, and it transfers power to the others, and rolls right over an obstacle.

I also got a chance to try out my monster valves. It takes longer to thread off the valve stem caps than it does to drop the air pressure, and fill the air pressure.. i am pretty stoked about those.

Here are some pics, and video on the end of some flexin.

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

We finally got our new lift wired up at work, so we tested it out today.. here are some shots of the under carriage:

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Finally got the steering done...

I will probably flip the tie rod one of these days too.. but for now, its finished.
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Here is the bumper build:

Here are the mounts.. almost finished.. just need to weld on some nuts, and spray paint..

Fits like a glove..

sandwich plate..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.