looking to go carbuerated in a ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > looking to go carbuerated in a ZJ?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
AMCJAVELIN
1994 ZJ 

looking to go carbuerated in a ZJ?

I'm thinking down the road going carbuerated just to get rid of the computer factor can a 4.0 be converted or get a 258 CI and convert motor mounts or will they even think about fitting just something to think about?

AMCJAVELIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Stay injected. Most people with carbs wish they had injected or are converting too.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Next I think I'll trade my 7" travel full carbon all mountain bike in for a nice penny farthing because I hate all this modern performance equipment.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Next I think I'll trade my 7" travel full carbon all mountain bike in for a nice penny farthing because I hate all this modern performance equipment.
Hipsters............
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can remain silent no more, carbs take a beating on these jeep sites because most people know very little about them. A carb can be worked to actually out perform fuel injection! Granted you would have the cost of a fuel injection set up in the carb, but you would also have a lot more tune ability with the carb without having a lot of expensive electronics, that water and mud can affect. Carbs don't require map, coolant,cps, along with the mile of wiring that goes with injection. Carbs don't require 13 volts to keep the pump running at the 40 psi pressure most injection uses (a carb can be gravity fed to get home) you say a carb won't run off camber? I have a 55 model Cj that will almost lay on it side and never miss a beat ( it does have a floating oil pickup so don't try this without one) has mileage you say? My yj with 3.07 gears 4.7 stroker, gets 22 - 24 mpg! So please don't be so hasty to con-dim a carb! Now for the original question, no I wouldn't take fuel injection off something that already has it because its gonna be expensive to change it over to carb! That is to better what you have now! You will need a top of the line carb for starters, then you will need a new distributor with mechanical advance, new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator , intake manifold , new throttle linkage, the list goes on and on! Instead if you want to get away from the Chrysler computer telling you what you can and can't do, why not go to a mega squirt computer, then you can have the best of both worlds with full adjustability!
http://www.megasquirt.info/
So thanks for letting me rant, I know some wont agree with my logic, but I have been in this business for 40+ years now, I build and tune carbs as well as fuel injection systems, both have their good and both have their bad, it's just a matter of what you want it to do!
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

What he said
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
does this new bike do anything the old one can't? simple logic.

i agree with Blown50. Carbs get a bad reputation because so many people nowadays don't know how they work or what to do with them.

there is nothing practical that a well tuned carb can't do that FI can. a local guy, John sweet runs a carburetor in his KOH buggy. never spits, sputters, or stumbles even when at extreme angles off road. Why run a carb? because he can more or less. When you know carbs, you can tune one yourself. no need for expensive computer equipment and tuning programs, you just need a screw driver to dial it in.

but like blown50 said, would i take FI off something to go carb? most likely not but i see absolutely no reason to go to FI if i have a carb either.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
a70eliminator

I have a 1994 Chaparral inboard v8 pleasure boat. It surprised me that not only is the engine carbureted it also has points ignition which was totally unheard of to me since the mid 70's.
I soon learned that the points ignition and carburetor are still being used in marine applications due to the simplicity, broke down with no spark on the big water can be life threatening. It's easy to through a set points and coil in the toolbox and with a screw driver and plier your up and running, basics can be a good thing.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If it was the end of the world or an expedition rig, I'd consider buying a carbureted rig. But never would I consider getting rid of multi port injection for one.
Fuel injection is just as easy to deal with as a carb and has plenty of benefits.

Unless you buy an offroad specific carb it will starve on hill climbs and off camber situations. I've witnessed this countless times. Old school jeeps actually came with off road carbs.

Personally, I leave the carbs on the quarter mile.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.