Looking to buy a Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Looking to buy a Jeep

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
DanLandon

Looking to buy a Jeep

Looking to buy a 96 v8 5.2 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am wondering if the 5.2 is as reliable as the 4.0. The jeep has 170k miles and is only listed for 700 dollars. It needs a new master cylinder which does not cost that much and two new tires. I was going to buy new tires anyway.

It has minimal rust, and I am just here to ask if, in your opinion, this would be a good buy. I am 16 years old and this will be my first vehicle. I have some experience with working on trucks, but not much.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

DanLandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

You have to ask yourself if you're comfortable with driving a vehicle that's older than you are, which are know to have electrical gremlins (modules that like to malfunction and drain the battery while you're in watching a movie for example), has higher mileage and (given the sale price) is likely going to need some work beyond what is listed in the ad.

As a comparison, I bought a '96 ZJ Limited w/5.2 about 2 years ago from a coworker for $500, it was running but was in need of some TLC. I put about $750 in to the vehicle just to get it in to good reliable, running condition. Remember, this was a vehicle that my coworker was driving to and from work 5 days a week, and was his only form of transportation. That $750 figure is just parts, as I did all the labor and doesn't include the 'value' of the spare set of tires I had installed (take offs from my wife's WJ). There was a couple labor intensive repairs that needed to be done, such as heater core, rear main seal/oil pan gasket, and the ever common 5.2 plenum gasket. Also, I had not even touched the suspension, which was in need of pretty much a complete rebuild. That being said, I drove that ZJ quite often and never had any issues once I got it to that point. I eventually sold it to my brother in law who still drives it to this day, when I sold it to him it had almost 225k miles on it, and is likely closer to 235k now.

My advice, save some money, buy a better maintained/cared for ZJ if that is vehicle you want.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.