Linus '04 WJ build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Linus '04 WJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus
Got a good deal from Discount Tire Direct on some General Grabber 255/70R17 tires, 31". Got them mounted on some JK moabs I bought earlier this summer.
Looking bad @$$, just ordered same size wheels, excact same tires, same height lift, yours look perfect, i am really stoked now. Thumbsup!

How do they sit in/out, do you have a picture along the side from front or rear, do they sit flush with upper outer fender Edge, or does it stick out???

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Looking bad @$$, just ordered same size wheels, excact same tires, same height lift, yours look perfect, i am really stoked now. Thumbsup!

How do they sit in/out, do you have a picture along the side from front or rear, do they sit flush with upper outer fender Edge, or does it stick out???
Thanks! I like the set up pretty good so far. It is a firm ride though, so be warned. The Moabs are .5" wider then the stock Silverblades and the Grabbers are another .5" wider then my old tires so I am about 2" wider per axle. I like the stance better now, not recessed like the stock set up.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus

Thanks! I like the set up pretty good so far. It is a firm ride though, so be warned. The Moabs are .5" wider then the stock Silverblades and the Grabbers are another .5" wider then my old tires so I am about 2" wider per axle. I like the stance better now, not recessed like the stock set up.
THANKS, Looks good!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
WarEagle91
2000 WJ 

Jeep looks good I am actually doing the same lift next Monday when I have a break from school and I saw that AU decal on your jeep so.....WAR DAMN EAGLE!
WarEagle91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
TwilightAuto

wow nice work man! looking good!
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle91 View Post
Jeep looks good I am actually doing the same lift next Monday when I have a break from school and I saw that AU decal on your jeep so.....WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Thanks man, yeah it's a good lift and was easy to put on considering I don't have a lot of experience working on cars...and War Eagle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightAuto View Post
wow nice work man! looking good!
Thanks, got a few more plans for it
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Linus
2004 WJ 

Did this over the weekend, trying to make it to 200k

Unread 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
Linus
2004 WJ 

Since the 2" lift I have noticed a little more body roll and squeaking from the stressed rear sway bar links. I thought I would save some money and fab up some bracket spacers to return them to the stock lengths.

I picked up a 2" receiver from harbor freight for $20. I measured the bracket and made 2 cuts with a reciprocating saw.

I used the bracket as a template and drilled 4 holes to mount it to the body and to mount the bracket to the underside. For hardware I used 1" long 3/8" bolts, washers, and nuts.

Here is the rear sway bar and link before bracket spacers.

And here they are after I installed the spacer and lowered them back closer to a stock level.

I am not a great mechanic or am I a machinist. My personal advice is to just buy the 2" extended sway bar links from IRO or Zone. Or at the least use an easier to cut material. While it is convenient the receiver hitch is 2" x 2", it is strong steel and ate through a saw blade and drill bit. So if you have a band saw and drill press I saw go for it, if not, easier just to pick up the longer links.
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #24
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Saving the reciever for a bumper build?...
For future referance, if you use cutting oil with your sawzall, it'll save your blades and surprise on how ell it will do, although slow. At least until you get a better saw. Same for the drill bits. Slow down and use oil.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
Saving the reciever for a bumper build?...
For future referance, if you use cutting oil with your sawzall, it'll save your blades and surprise on how ell it will do, although slow. At least until you get a better saw. Same for the drill bits. Slow down and use oil.
Yeah I thought about oil but I got lazy and just carried on. Just glad they are done and on!
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
Linus
2004 WJ 

The cushion had split and the frame was poking through and was pretty uncomfortable on my ribs. So I took the drivers side seat out, took the back off and pealed back the upholstery to see what was wrong.

I pulled the cushion back over the frame bar and sprayed some 3M adhesive spray into the crack. I let it set up for a minute then I held the cushion back together for it dry. I then used some scrap denim I had, sprayed more adhesive on it, and put it over the crack like a patch. Hopefully it will help hold the crack together.

I also wrapped the frame bar with some scrap felt in case it pokes back through the cushion, at least I'll have more then just the thin upholstery to cushion it. Put the seat back and sat in it for a minute. And it feels much better. Much more padded on that side now, just hope it holds up another 124k miles
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
Linus
2004 WJ 

Got 2 Hella 6" driving lights for Christmas and mounted them up yesterday. Decided to put them on the bumper. Put a big fender washer on the underside and everything feels pretty sturdy. But a heads up if you mount lights here, I got as close to the grill as I could but the bolt going through the bumper hits the unibody when you put the bumper cover back on. So the middle of the bumper sticks out an inch or so more then before. I could only get the far left and right 2 plastic rivets to engage. And I had to trim the middle tab on the bumper cover to get the grill to clip back on.

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
Linus
2004 WJ 

Got all my Christmas presents on over the last week.

Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, part# 17743. Sounds pretty good, I'll try and get a video of it later

Also mounted up my Rola roof rack and Hella lights

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep looks great, lift and tires appear perfect for a DD. So is that with 2" springs and a 3/4" spacer in the front to even it out? I'm considering selling my WRX and picking up a WJ to save some dough.
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Jeep looks great, lift and tires appear perfect for a DD. So is that with 2" springs and a 3/4" spacer in the front to even it out? I'm considering selling my WRX and picking up a WJ to save some dough.
Thanks man, and yes there is a 1" rake from the factory so the 3/4" spacer up front helps level it out. I like my WJ but man I'd have a tough time giving up a WRX!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.