Lifting WJ without sacrificing much towing ability. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Lifting WJ without sacrificing much towing ability.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 07-16-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
JimmytheHeater
2001 WJ 

Lifting WJ without sacrificing much towing ability.

Looking for opinions on lifting and towing. Here is my situation and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

01 WJ, 4.0, tow package, totally stock.

I'm smacking my transfer case cross member pretty often on even mild trails so I would like to lift it up some to avoid as much damage as I can. However I have a 3500 lb trailer that I need to pull frequently so I cannot sacrifice towing ability for off-road prowess.

I'm not wanting to build a rock crawler by any means, but more of an expo style rig. Working on a farm means that I'm going offroad 3-4 times a week so it's a pretty common occurrence.

I believe a lift in the 4 inch range would suit me and the trails I go on but would going that high cause towing issues? Should I stick with 2 inches, or even stay stock and armor up the underside instead?

Thanks for your input.

JimmytheHeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
paroxysym
2007 WK 

your best bet is to replace the coils with something alittle more heavy duty, like the OME or IRO(although im not sure about their spring rates).

biggest thing is the added weight of say a 32" and the trailer with the 4.0...
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
JimmytheHeater
2001 WJ 

Not planning on going up in tire size really. For my type of driving tread type is much more important than getting the biggest tire. I would go for lockers well ahead of going up in tire size.

No the 4.0 is not a powerhouse, but it seems to work just fine for what I need it to do. The main problem seems to be the low ground clearance under the T-Case. I never really seem to hit the axles either, odd.
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I know that ChrisHager does some pretty serious towing from time to time with his OME/Kolak lift setup. You may want to shoot him a PM or see if he chimes in here.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
paroxysym
2007 WK 

i just thought- maybe find some upcountry springs for your WJ, i know when i had my WJ i ordered a set through kolak. they had a higher spring rate and they give a stocker a 1" boost, at least thats what i remember. then id throw a 3/4" spacer in there with the UC springs and call it a day. you can run the tire you have now, it wont look awkward and you will have increased the spring rate in the WJ to help tow and haul whatever
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
JimmytheHeater
2001 WJ 

Hummmm now that is a good idea. Will check into that, thanks!
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

My 2" BDS , Billstein setup rides very nice IMO.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.