Key question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Key question

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
jamespwillis

Key question

After having dinner at my favorite restaurant tonight, I walked outside and discovered that the keyless entry on my 2000 Grand Cherokee wasn't working. I quickly resorted to unlocking the door the old fashioned way, only to learn that my ignition key didn't work on the door lock. My Jeep is not spending the night away from home and I just finished a short walk home.

My question now is, should the ignition key unlock the door, or should I have a second key for the door? If the two are supposed to be the same, then I suppose I need to figure out which lock was changed, the ignition switch or the door lock. The VIN should provide me with one key or the other, but which one?

I'm so confused.

jamespwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

All your lock cylinders should work from 1 key. Whether you have had a lock cylinder changed in the past, or if the door lock cylinders tumblers are seized is hard to say. Did you try the key in the liftgate to see if it worked there?

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.