Junkyard tips and tricks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Junkyard tips and tricks

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Junkyard tips and tricks

not sure if theres already been a thread on this, but theres just a few things i want to share.

Junkyard jack:
most junkyards wont let you bring a jack inside, and have already gutted the jacks out of most of the vehicles. this can suck if the part you want is pinned by one of the stands they put the vehicle on, such as a skid plate. the u pull it yards near me use 2 rims welded together as their stands, and there are usually a bunch laying around in the yard. heres how you can get that skid or whatever else thats been pinned down. this will only work if your yard uses the 2 rims as stands.
grab 2 of the stands and a driveshaft, the longer the better. get one stand ready to stick under the frame rail or wherever else that will support the vehicle. with the other one, position it next to the car with the face of the wheel facing the front or back of the car, so the drop center section is perpendicular with the length of the car. take the driveshaft and slide it on the center of the stand and under the car. have a buddy stand on the other end of the driveshaft. this will usually lift the car up enough that you can put the other stand in and remove the one under the part you want to get.

Breaker Bar!
ever need to take out a real tight bolt, but you forgot your breaker bar at home? driveshafts work great. slide the slip yoke end over the end of your wrench and boom, instant breaker bar.

door panels make great pads for laying on.

if the part youre looking for isnt where it should be, search around inside the vehicle and around it. alot of times, someone will pull your part out to get to something they want, then theyll toss your part in the trunk area or even in one of the other cars near it. i needed an tcase input shaft once, but all the tcases were pulled. i was walking out and i found one of the tcases sitting in the back of a van, a few cars down from the jeep!

definately go in the yard first and scout out the parts you are looking for, than go back to your vehicle and get your tools.

ask for prices beforehand. nothing worse than spending time to pull a part only to find out you dont have enough cash for it or the price is just plain rediculous (pulled a perfect, clear headlight for my jeep, and they wanted 30 bucks for it, i can get it new for 16).

call ahead to see what their inventory is. cant even tell you how many times ive looked on their website and it showed x amount of vehicles, but when i get there, half of them are gone.

ill add more if i think of any
you guys add some that work good for you

Unread 05-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
door panels make great pads for laying on.
I like to use the spare tire cover from a WJ for this.

I keep a list of parts I need in my wallet, got tired of getting back from the yard and realizing I forgot something.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlackZJ View Post

I keep a list of parts I need in my wallet, got tired of getting back from the yard and realizing I forgot something.
i really need to start doing this. cant even tell you how many times thats happened to me.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

The pick n pull near me won't quote part prices at the desk and are usually too busy to take a walk. I snap pics of what I want before I take the time to pull it and show it to them that way I'm not wasting my time pulling something they want way too much for.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
The pick n pull near me won't quote part prices at the desk and are usually too busy to take a walk. I snap pics of what I want before I take the time to pull it and show it to them that way I'm not wasting my time pulling something they want way too much for.
check their website for prices
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

check their website for prices
These guys aren't that tech savvy. It's a huge yard but it's like visiting a third world country. They're not even sure of half of what they have, which actually makes it more fun if you have some time to kill.
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
if you have some time to kill.
since summer vacation started last week, i think ive been to the junkyard every day since. not because i really need anything, but to kill time
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

since summer vacation started last week, i think ive been to the junkyard every day since. not because i really need anything, but to kill time
JY's are like a toy store for me. You never know what you'll find. And you can get ideas by looking at other vehicles.
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Another tip

look for small items you might not necessarily need, but that could be sold. on a ZJ they just got in the junkyard, i found a set of 4 coil spacers. i already have a set on my ZJ, but i took them anyway. a buck a piece! sold them a few days ago for $50.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.